The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2018, 07:47 PM   #1
jcondo

77 K10 U joints?

So im in the process of changing front ball joints, rotors, wheel bearings, seals, and u joints in my 77 K10.
I have finished the passenger side with out any issues, just waiting on brake pads. I have the drivers side completely torn down and pressed the u joints out. Upon pressing in the new U joint into the shorter axle half I successfully broke the cap out.
Went to the parts store and purchased another one, got it installed but the caps are not flush with the yoke on either shaft. I attempted to install the axle but I cant get the u joint past the hub casing.

So my question is, did they use different u joints on the drivers side compared to the passenger side? The u joints I used are a 371 moog.

Thanks for any info.
jcondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:15 PM   #2
B. W.

Re: 77 K10 U joints?

Both sides use the same joint. 371 is the correct part number. The outside edge of the cap should have a slight chamfer on it. This allows it to clear the hole in the knuckle. I have had to relieve some knuckles when using cheap joints without the chamfer on some rigs - not GM specific. If there is a lot of rust or scale on the center bore that could be an issue too.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:13 PM   #3
jcondo

Thanks for the info, ill have to check on the u joint having a chamfer. once I get back up to the shop ill get a photo and show you the u joint in the axel.
Thanks again.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:22 PM   #4
jcondo

So I took the original one and the new one back to the part store. Showed them the difference and they still wanted to argue with me about how their flat topped u joint should fit into the steering knuckle. Well with the photos I had on my phone and them still wanting to argue with me about it, I told them I wont be spending any money there for a long time. Sad part is ive been buying most of my parts from them for over 20 years.

I ended up going home with their flat topped u joint (371). and got a block of wood and sledge and beat it in. Now since I did this and I cut into the steering knuckle I had to fix the gouges I made by spot welding and filing them down. I may not have needed to do this but I didn't want any extra places for debris to get into.

Napa has since contacted me and told me that the 2 employees I was dealing with about my issue would no longer be helping me in the future if I choose to come back in and purchase more parts from them. I did not contact Napa in any way, but I live in a small town of maybe 3k people so the owner heard about it within a day and called me personally about it. But for the mean time I told him I was gonna keep using Rock Auto because they don't argue with me and if I get the wrong part its my own fault.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:26 PM   #5
jcondo

photos of the flat top u joint
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2018, 12:04 AM   #6
B. W.

Sorry to hear you had issues with the parts house. Glad to see you got the u-joints in. If it makes you feel better, I've had similar issues with parts houses & with u-joints!
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:41 AM   #7
82C10step

Many people that work at parts stores are not automotive enthusiasts and the old guys are becoming the dieing breed. I deal with it everyday.
82C10step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:37 PM   #8
jcondo

I completely understand that they have no idea what they are talking about anymore. I showed them the photos, even took the broken u joint in that I had to show them what I wanted and they still were clueless. Ended up getting mad and walking out of Napa, going home and ordering one from suspension parts.com. Received the u joint and installed with no issues, my local Napa will no longer get any of my business.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:08 PM   #9
67mater

from personal experience, it's worth measuring the u joint before install. It's easy to knock a needle bearing loose in the cap, and if it's at the end, it'll hold the cap out. Maybe you did measure, and measure the yoke, but just saying as I've learned the hard way the pain of getting a fresh cap back out!

1967 K10
1967 Camaro
67mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:15 PM   #10
kwmech

I'm sure he's got it after a years gone by
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:23 PM   #11
67mater

Sorry, I forgot only the original poster is able to benefit from these threads.

1967 K10
1967 Camaro
67mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:41 AM   #12
95 S_Trucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67mater View Post
from personal experience, it's worth measuring the u joint before install. It's easy to knock a needle bearing loose in the cap, and if it's at the end, it'll hold the cap out. Maybe you did measure, and measure the yoke, but just saying as I've learned the hard way the pain of getting a fresh cap back out!
The op wouldn't have been able to get the retainers installed if a needle bearing was out of place.
95 S_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote