The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2019, 10:25 PM   #1
74CustomK20

Question Help hauling heavy?

Long time viewer first time commenter over on this side of the site guys, so pardon me ignorance. I'm looking at getting an older 2 ton for hauling rock and such here soon, and am wanting some insight. I've narrowed it down to 3 older chevys, 75 c60 small block 10' bed, 4 speed 2 speed axle, runs drives dumps other is a 78 c65 unknown motor trans Or axle; but I'd assume they're the same. (maybe a tall deck? Hopefully). Third Is basically same as 2nd, but closer lol. I'll update and post back when I get more info on em, little late to bother people atm for info. What can I expect getting into the big truck game? I've had numerous square body's in the past and am not new to old chevys, but I am to big trucks. What should I look for? All 3 are dump beds, so anything specific? Is hydrolic better over PTO or electric? Help?
79 C70 366 Project Dump.
74CustomK20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 03:23 AM   #2
Pvmt-Pndr

Re: Help hauling heavy?

What I've noticed in my small amount of time researching and owning a big truck is expect them to be ridden hard and put up wet. Go with the one that seems like it was cared for the most. Back in their day they were actually used for what they were built for, more often then not most were used beyond their capacity and spent their time at a red line loaded down to the max and then some. Assume the suspension, steering, tires and electrical will need some love thrown in their direction. They were built to take a beating and that's exactly what a lot of them got.
Pvmt-Pndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:19 AM   #3
Nobighurry

If you are wanting a square body, I would wait until I found one with disk brakes or air brakes. I still get nervous carrying full loads with 50 year old drum brakes. Although I completely redid them. Expect most everything to cost more than a 1/2 ton truck and not everyone will work on the older stuff.
As for the hoist, I would go with pto driven over electric. Going to operate faster.
Dont expect much in fuel mileage; dont be in a hurry; probably wont find one with air conditioning. But they are a whole lot of fun to drive.
Nobighurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:08 PM   #4
74CustomK20

I figured nobody anymore will work on em, I normally do most everything myself. Too big of a tightwad not to lol. If I need speed I have my 6.0 powerstroke for that, or my regal. Did get more info on em. 75 small block one is current on tags, everything works, 9 foot bed x2 foot tall sides, seems good for hauling rock or anything, which is what I'm planning on, or dirt. The 78 I mentioned has a 366, 4 speed and 2 speed axle, but is stuck in high gear? It's 16x3 feet bed, but only single axle so do you all think I should worry about overloading it? Closest one is outta the question, as the hoist doesn't work lol.
79 C70 366 Project Dump.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:15 PM   #5
Pvmt-Pndr

I wouldn't worry too much about the 2 speed rear end not working. They are very simple to fix and repair for the most part. It could be the $70 switch on the shifter like it was for me or a blown diaphragm. So don't eliminate it because of that.
A 16x3 bed seems kinda narrow. I doubt you'll overload a bed that small HA!!
Old 09-03-2019, 02:18 PM   #6
74CustomK20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvmt-Pndr View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about the 2 speed rear end not working. They are very simple to fix and repair for the most part. It could be the $70 switch on the shifter like it was for me or a blown diaphragm. So don't eliminate it because of that.
A 16x3 bed seems kinda narrow. I doubt you'll overload a bed that small HA!!
Ha indeed, I meant 3' talk about 8' or so wide lol this will be my first 2 speed read so I am interested in em.if it did work before I have a hard time believing it's something physically in the axle, as it shurely would if locked it up I think. Might go check it out regardless, compair the two.
79 C70 366 Project Dump.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:21 PM   #7
Pvmt-Pndr

Find out what the GVW is on them and judge from there. The wiring on my 2 speed connecting to the button on the shifter was corroded beyond me even trying to bother messing with it. Someone cobbled it together a few times over the years... I don't like to hack anything if I don't have to and $74 and change I spent on it was well worth it to me.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:34 PM   #8
Nobighurry

Gvw would be a good pressure point. I have the 366 and have no issues with it. Runs happy all day long. It's no diesel, but for what it is I would rather have it over a small block. 2 speed selector is no biggie. Pay attention to the bed also. Mine is a stake bed and for hauling anything, removing the tailgate is a pain. If one has a steel swing gate over the other, I'd have to consider that one. Less work on you.
Nobighurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:13 AM   #9
1976gmc20

Never seen electric/hydraulic on a medium duty dump.

They are universally hydraulic with a PTO driven pump.

C-65 is quite a bit more truck than a C-60. Unless you have specific minimum load requirements, I would look for whichever survivor is in the best shape. Nothing on them is that hard to work on; some stuff is a lot bigger and heavier but you have a lot more elbow room than a pickup. You can crawl underneath and then sit upright on the ground between the frame rails

I used to work for some folks who had a pair of ~2 tons (46/47) with 10' dump beds. They were handy as hell for short hauling. My C-50 was set up for log hauling. It had a PTO driven pump to run the hydraulic log loader. I put all that together myself as it just had a non-dumping stake bed on it when I bought it.
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote