The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2014, 09:10 AM   #1
Mgicm

C10 steering wheel in ad..how to change

Have a 53 ad with c10 column and wheel. Looking to change the steering wheel out for something like a batwing or something cool. What do I need to look for and how does one take off the old wheel and install new one. Sure appreciate the help.
Mgicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:00 PM   #2
MidLifer

Re: C10 steering wheel in ad..how to change

Anything along these lines will suffice.

http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools...g-wheel-puller

Remove the horn cap, locate the big center bolt, remove that, then attach the puller (there should be threaded holes in the center of the wheel to insert the bolts) and turn the bolt until the wheel pops off.
MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:10 PM   #3
OrrieG

$10 ON EBAY FREE SHIPPING, NOT MINE

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Neck-1..._Tools&vxp=mtr
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:20 PM   #4
Russell Ashley

You might as well buy this or another one as you will need it again.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:52 PM   #5
joedoh

Ive never needed a puller, I get the nut loose a couple threads and rock the wheel back and forth till its loose, then take the nut and wheel off. dont take the nut off first, it is a good way to punch yourself in the mouth, which never feels good no matter how much you have it coming.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:07 PM   #6
mr48chev

Joedoh you must be about ten times stronger than most of us because in 50 years of working on these things I've never seen one that I could do that on even when I was at my strongest in my 20's. I wouldn't recommend it as there is a good chance a guy could crack or bend a wheel in the process. Some methods while they might work aren't the correct way to do some things.

Mgiam the steering wheel puller like the guys showed above makes it a simple process to pull most steering wheels.

As far as a custom wheel you pick the you want and then buy the right horn kit (adapter) to bolt that wheel to your column. You will need a horn kit for the year model of C-10 the column came out of.

Just like the rims and tires the steering wheel has to fit in with the theme of the build be it resto mod, lowrider bomb, high tech street rod/machine or what not. You also have to handle it and look at every time you get in the truck so it has to be comfortable to handle and it needs to be easy enough on the eyes that it doesn't get tiresome to look at after a few weeks. Simple is usually better in that respect.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:22 PM   #7
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Joedoh you must be about ten times stronger than most of us because in 50 years of working on these things I've never seen one that I could do that on even when I was at my strongest in my 20's. I wouldn't recommend it as there is a good chance a guy could crack or bend a wheel in the process. Some methods while they might work aren't the correct way to do some things.
Ive worked on cars and trucks about 25 years, and never needed a puller. I've never cracked or bent a wheel either, but I have seen the puller fingers damage wheels when they slip. I also saw a guy punch himself in the face with a steering wheel because he took the nut off and set about yanking around on it.

The splines are tapered, so they lend themselves to being pulled this way. you dont pull straight out on both sides, you give a yank on one side, then the other, then the top, and by then its usually loose enough to come off. has nothing to do with brute strength, its about applying the force in the direction that provides the most benefit.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:42 PM   #8
mr48chev

50+ years trumps 25 but we are not in a contest here. We were not advocating using a "gear puller" to pull steering wheels but the proper puller that uses bolts screwed into the holes in the hub of the wheel that are there to pull the wheel with and put there by the factories for that express purpose.

I'm not a small man by any means but even when I was a lot stronger than I am now I couldn't get a wheel off by that method when I tried it in a wrecking yard because I didn't have a puller with me. I doubt the majority of the others could either.
O'Reilly's and most others have the steering wheel puller that midlifer showed from Autozone. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...+II&vi=1134447 Harbor Freight has them cheaper that work for the home hobby guy to take just about any wheel off including tilt and telescope or the ones with lock rings for 35 bucks. http://www.harborfreight.com/steerin...set-68982.html

I do push pretty hard for guys to do things correctly with the proper tools or equipment in a safe manner so that they won't injure themselves or damage what they are working on. That comes from years of repairing what others attempted to work on and then brought to me after they damaged it with the wrong methods or wrong tools. Shade tree methods may work out under your shade tree but aren't usually the best of methods or for others to use.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:10 PM   #9
joedoh

well its just my opinion that you just like to argue with guys you dont agree with. I've seen it a lot in other threads.

I am not a big guy either, its worked, I dont know what your 50 years of you never being successful at trying it means in the larger sense, but I have pulled about 30 steering wheels this way. Keep the nut on and there is not even a small chance of injury or damage. If it doesnt budge, get a 10 dollar puller, what is lost?

Old 12-04-2014, 08:45 PM   #10
OrrieG

waiting for the lock.......
Old 12-04-2014, 09:12 PM   #11
Mgicm

thanks for the advice.

when looking for a new wheel... what do i need to look for? Can I grab just any 60's wheel and put it on or im looking for some sort of adapter always? Sorry for the silly questions. Ive seen a few cool wheels but it is just the wheel with nut and three screws. Will this just go back on?

thanks!
Old 12-04-2014, 10:04 PM   #12
joedoh

do you know what year is your c10 column is from? is it the type with the key from 70's 80's?

like mr48 said, it depends on what you want. the wheel with 3 screws center type usually takes an adapter so you will need to know what year your column is out of.

I am partial to lecarra steering wheels. they have a nice classic look. they also need an adapter.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:38 PM   #13
mgchevyparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
Ive never needed a puller, I get the nut loose a couple threads and rock the wheel back and forth till its loose, then take the nut and wheel off. dont take the nut off first, it is a good way to punch yourself in the mouth, which never feels good no matter how much you have it coming.
Unbelievable
Old 12-05-2014, 12:49 AM   #14
Mgicm

cant say i know what year it is from. has tilt and key in column. ugly wheel with square horn button in middle. can get a pic tomorrow.

I was really just looking to get a wheel from another chevy. id have to research any adapters as the new wheels can be ordered with them but i like older looking wheels. thanks
Old 12-05-2014, 03:49 AM   #15
msaintg

I am by no means an expert on this, but I think the splines on all chevy columns are the same. I had a different problem when I went to replace my ugly steering wheel... it had an air bag. You can't buy a replacement steering wheel for a column fitted for an airbag.... at least you can't get any info on what will fit it. You just need to measure your old steering wheel (diameter AND depth) and buy one you like to fit a chevy. The depth is important... not enough and your hands will hit the turn signal lever when you turn the wheel. You can buy extension collars for most steering wheels though.
Attached Images

msaintg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:36 AM   #16
Mgicm

so is there a place that has adapters ...will try summit or jegs or speedway. Im looking for just a simple old black wheel from a 60's chevy to put on this column.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:59 PM   #17
OrrieG

Just about any stock GM column will fit the spine without an adaptor. Adaptor are for aftermarket columns. Pay attention to the flat/dish of the column, I ended up using a 48 on my 82 eldo to get the right distance from my gut.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:44 PM   #18
mgchevyparts

Spline is the same back to at least the 40's
Old 12-06-2014, 01:04 AM   #19
mr48chev

O'Reilly's usually has the adapters in stock if you want to run a Grant wheel.

With a tilt it is even more important that you do not jerk on the wheel to try and get it off or you will end up loosening up the tilt mechanism. I got pretty handy at tightening those things up because my wife always grabs the rim to pull her self forward in the car and tears the daylights out of those things.

No matter what wheel you put on you don't want one that is too deep or you end up with the wheel up against your body as OrrieG mentioned.

When you do pull the wheel park the truck with the wheels pointing dead straight ahead so when you put the new wheel on it is square on center with the truck and not cockeyed.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:18 AM   #20
Russell Ashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
I've never been able to remove one like that, but if it works for you that's fine. However, thank you for NOT saying to loosen the nut and hit the end of the shaft with a BFH.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 02:08 PM   #21
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
I've never been able to remove one like that, but if it works for you that's fine. However, thank you for NOT saying to loosen the nut and hit the end of the shaft with a BFH.
I've seen a number of newer steering columns broken by doing that. You end up collapsing the collapsible shaft in the column when you hit it with a hammer. It's rough on gears and bearings in the stock AD steering box/column too.