The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-27-2020, 01:19 PM   #1
BaroneDog

Stepside bed angle trim - remove or not?

Wondering what the stepside folks do with the piece of stock bed angle trim when painting a truck; leave it or remove it and replace it? Mine looks like it is trapping rust behind it (see pic below) and seems like it should be removed, but I dread drilling out all the spot welds. It looks like LMC sells stainless replacement pieces, so probably will replace it with a nice new shiny piece, but wanted to see what other folks were doing first.

Also, do people usually paint over the bolts holding on the side fenders or install nice stainless hardware?

Thanks.
Attached Images

BaroneDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 02:00 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Stepside bed angle trim - remove or not?

It's a safe bet to say there will be rust behind the strip..need to remove it and remove the rust and get down to bare clean metal and get some epoxy on it..I've seen fender bolts painted and not..I pulled my fenders when I painted and replaced my bolts with stainless..

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 03:53 PM   #3
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

I went with new bedsides and the steel angles are spotted on them. In your case, I would remove them and replace with the pretty ones as you probably have rust hiding there. My angles did not come pre-drilled for the bed wood holes. At this point, I am not going to drill them or put those bolts back in.

For the fenders to bedside bolts there aren't a lot of options. You can order polished phillips head bolts like the stock bolts or you can order a kit from Brothers that uses the allen head and washer. I went with the Brothers kit.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:25 PM   #4
BaroneDog

Thanks guys. I got them off and there was indeed some rust which I will hit with epoxy primer. However, not quite sure what is the best way to replace them. I could buy new steel ones and plug weld them on but it seems like that is a recipe for more rust in the future. I see you can buy nice stainless ones, but how to adhere them to the bed side without welding? Aren't they structural?

I read a thread here where someone drilled out the stainless strips and used 1/4" bolts to fix them to the bed side, but I am not sure if I have enough clearance between tire sidewall and inner fender well. Also, i'd be limited to bolting only in the fender area (for appearance) which leaves a length of the angle strip ends unsupported...which might be just fine. Seems hard to get away from welding. Is there something I am not considering?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Stepside View Post
I went with new bedsides and the steel angles are spotted on them. In your case, I would remove them and replace with the pretty ones as you probably have rust hiding there. My angles did not come pre-drilled for the bed wood holes. At this point, I am not going to drill them or put those bolts back in.

For the fenders to bedside bolts there aren't a lot of options. You can order polished phillips head bolts like the stock bolts or you can order a kit from Brothers that uses the allen head and washer. I went with the Brothers kit.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:39 PM   #5
nsb29

I don’t know that much about the stepside but my thought would be panel adhesive
Old 09-11-2020, 12:25 PM   #6
BaroneDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
I don’t know that much about the stepside but my thought would be panel adhesive
I would love to use an adhesive, but I think these angle pieces support a lot of the weight of the bed and not sure I would trust adhesive only.

Can anyone out there confirm?

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2020, 01:48 PM   #7
kaycee

I used plain old steel angle strips , I welded the spot weld holes up and used flat head carriage bolts to bolt back on 3 per side.I wasn't worried about period correct and a furniture shine on bed floor.
63 IMPALA 327
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote