The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2020, 04:01 PM   #1
AHenry014

1955 GMC Big Window Step Side Build; LSx, IFS, IRS, etc.

Hey all! First timer here and though this isnt my first rodeo, this is my first time getting deep into a classic. I have been wanting to do resto-rat-mod truck project for a long while now and the opportunity presented itself in late November this past year.

To preface, the fiance and i are getting married this coming November 2020 and she came across a photo shoot of another just-married couple. The feature of the shoot was certainly the couples classic pickup truck! She couldn't stop talking about how neat it would be to do something similar, which is when i connected this daydream and my dream of a classic truck build. "Hey, what if i built the truck?". The very quick "YES" had be scouring craigslist and marketplace for potential candidates. This proved difficult...

I am not a brand specific person, but was just seeking THE LOOK; rounded fenders, rounded hood, rusty chrome, ratty fenders, dent here, scrape there, etc. I came across a couple F100's, some C10 era trucks, but either they were not the look i was going for, or were way to much money!! My search came to an end one early morning as i was waking up for work.

My normal routine has my face in my phone for a couple minutes before actually getting out of bed, one stop being facebook marketplace. Up pops a 1955 GMC 1/2 ton that has THE LOOK. Holy crap, I thought, the price seems right and its 10 fuggin minutes from home!! AHH!! It had only been up for 7hrs at that point, so i shot a message over as fast as i could. I got a response quickly, confirming a time and place to be that evening. SWEET!! By the time i had gotten to work, the ad for the truck was GONE, uh oh. Luckily ive made a habit of taking a screen shot of the convo that includes contact info and addresses if for whatever reason the world ends and internet stops working. I shot him a quick text to confirm we were still good. He said he was happy i had messaged, as he lost my info when he deleted the ad. He said he had 70+ people sending him messages, but figured i would be a good candidate to take a look since i was in town.

When i got there that evening, it didnt take me long to decide that it was going to be my next project. I could not have got it from a better person either. I know he in on this board, but dont know what his username is. He was seemingly an encyclopedia of knowledge about these trucks and is proving that by answering all my dumb questions! We shook hands and i picked the truck up two weeks later.

Between then an now, after one sketchy brake-less drive into the garage, the truck has been disassembled to make way for the master plan.

Master Plan
Engine - I actually had a spare 6.0L Lq4 in my garage and a BTR stage II truck cam kit. Guess ill use that!! I will be using Holley standalone to manage it.

Trans - Picked up a used 4L80 for less than the cost of a core, so how can i go wrong!

Front Suspension - After much deliberation and back-and-forth between the Heidts MII and the Jag suspension, I went Crown Vic! A mechanic/tinkerer friend of mine, knowing i was on the lookout for a front suspension, sent me a picture of underneath a town car. That led me down the road of the Hot Rod Garage F100 shop truck and actually putting the idea aside until i came across Team321 "Narrow Crown Vic Crossmember". Didnt take long for me to order one of those and acquire all else from the junkyard. It fits really well so far!

Rear Suspension - When considering the Heidt's MII, i said hey, might as well buy the solid axle 4-link kit from them as well. Figure ill toss an explorer 8.8 under it if i am going 5x4.5 in the front. Well that went out the window when i saw a picture of the Lincoln Mark VIII IRS. The design of the upper control arms SCREAM low, which brings me to my next point...

Springs/Shocks - I have never had the opportunity to play with air-ride on my previous projects, so it was a must have this time around. I happened to come across another ad on facebook for a full ridetech air ride kit for a third the price of new. It fits coilover applications, so i knew i could make it work.

Ill leave it at that for now until i can find some time to get you guys some pictures. Who doesnt love pictures!

Last edited by AHenry014; 01-30-2020 at 03:12 PM.
AHenry014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:30 PM   #2
dsraven

Re: 1955 GMC Big Window Step Side Build; LSx, IFS, IRS, etc.

wow, sounds like you have a plan already. cool. also sounds like youve been around the block with building a vehicle.
-if lowering plan on a C notch out back and a raised bed. lots of guys build their own, pretty easy if you can weld and have skills and tools. if not buying one isn't gonna break the bank.
-I suggest to figure out a ride height you like, a tire size you like and then get the frame up on stands and do some checking. corner to corner for square for starters. I have had luck with marking each cross member at it mid point, side to side, then running a string or laser from front to rear lining up the frontmost and rearmost marks. all the others should be in line if the frame is straight.
-once you get the frame all set up stick a tire of the size you like into the front wheel opening. the way the fenders slope at the back of the opening can make the tire look like it is slammed into the rear of the opening as the truck is lowered. most guys move the axle centerline ahead some.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:29 PM   #3
Kevin_C

well damn that's a way to start a project! Subscribed. post up some pics of what you started with. I have been straight out with mine for 6 months and only got another month before it goes into storage while I house shop.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:12 AM   #4
joedoh

pictures! where are the pictures of this glorious work?

cant wait to see it, I picked up a 56 a couple weeks ago and am scheming and formulating.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:33 PM   #5
slammed57

PICTURES my brother.... Men are visual creatures or we lose interest quickly! lol
looking forward to your build
Old 02-03-2020, 02:54 PM   #6
AHenry014

Haha, sorry for the delay with pics guys. Ever since photobucket took a dive, i had to find time to put some energy into finding a new hosting website. Lets see how it goes with Imgur.

What do we all think of wheel in fender opening position?

Bringing her home!!

Nice Clean Engine!! Someone spent some time in here repainting the engine bay and making the engine look nice. The engine may have even been rebuilt, but i dont have any proof of that. Maybe the reason it was parked/sold? Finding a cracked block after doing all that work would certainly take the wind out of anyones sails. Notice the nicely painted, rebuilt, trans in there.

The other side.

Womp womppp, cracked! Knew there was something up with it when i bought it and i am not using it anyhow, so this was not a giant surprise.

Column shot

Finally in the garage on my new dollies, worth every penny of the 100 i spent for them on ebay.

Front end out! Luckily every single bolt came out no problem.

IRS obtained! What a pain that was. This trip to the pick and pull resulted in a long overdue cordless power tool upgrade.

Front Crown Vic control arms, spindles, hubs, rotors, calipers, etc. 100 for what you see, thought that was a good deal.

Team321 front subframe trimmed and in place. I trimmed all the bracketry off the frame prior to this shot. Getting those old rivets out is not fun! My best method was to take a grinding wheel and flattening out the head of the rivet. From there, a two step method of drilling into the center of the rivet was done. From there a quick blow from the air hammer and off with their heads!!

Corner mocked up. After measuring and stewing on ride height, stuffed height, bag to frame interference, and team321 recommendation, i purchased new extended shock ends. Ridetech "ride height" with the extended ends puts the control arms just about flat with the bottom of the subframe. Perfect!

Theoretical ride height with 28" tire, which is what i am thinking of going with.

Stuffed, rough measurement puts the rocker approx 2" off the ground, but well see how close i can get it with some trimming.

Air ride bits for your viewing pleasure. The previous owner of this kit actually melted a hole in one of the rear bags due to the proximity to his exhaust. Unfortunately, that style of shock has long since been obsolete, so a replacement bag is not available. Thinking about it now, this may be why the guy sold the kit! Anywho, i may go with a bellows style bag in the original Mark VIII spring pocket and reuse the ridetech shocks without the bags! We shall see how it unfolds.

Last edited by AHenry014; 02-03-2020 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:50 PM   #7
dsraven

check it at what you will running for ride height, actually driving height. the pic shown will have the rockers on the ground almost by the look of it. at ride height the wheel may be a bit forward for my liking, but it ain't my truck. if you like it then thats where it should be.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:49 PM   #8
slammed57

There you go! its in its rough stage but mine was really rough , i had to put new floors ,cab corners bottom of front fenders etc... but inch by inch ,it gets there. If i see you in a certain stage your in I would shout out what worked for me at the time and where i made mistakes so you wont make them , I'll be watchin , enjoy the build bud!
Old 02-04-2020, 09:29 AM   #9
AHenry014

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
check it at what you will running for ride height, actually driving height. the pic shown will have the rockers on the ground almost by the look of it. at ride height the wheel may be a bit forward for my liking, but it ain't my truck. if you like it then thats where it should be.
The third photo up is theoretical ride height. I believe i measured the rocker at around 6 or 7" off the ground, so it should be plenty high. However, i havent committed to anything but the extended shock ends. I mocked up the theoretical ride height and stuffed height for each extended eye (1" longer than stock or 2" longer). I think the 1" extended eye is going to be just about right. It leaves the control arms parallel with the ground and in line with the subframe at ride height, which is ideal. The 2" eye was too tall for my liking, both ride height and stuffed.

I have not nailed down the position in the wheel well. It is currently clamped in place. I want to get it together a bit more and make a final decision after considering all factors, or most haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed57 View Post
There you go! its in its rough stage but mine was really rough , i had to put new floors ,cab corners bottom of front fenders etc... but inch by inch ,it gets there. If i see you in a certain stage your in I would shout out what worked for me at the time and where i made mistakes so you wont make them , I'll be watchin , enjoy the build bud!
Thank you!! This cab is actually in really nice shape. I need to rebuild one corner on the passenger side (can be seen in pics) and one hinge pocket on the drivers door.
Old 02-04-2020, 10:55 AM   #10
joedoh

looks really really great!

shockwaves dont make great bags for ultra slammed trucks because they only have about 5" of usable stroke, even with the geometry of the a arms that will only work out to about 7-8 inches of lift total. make sure that your 6-7" ride height isnt topping out or close to topping out your shockwave, its usually closer to 4" for half travel on a shockwave (with the front end geometry added) so most setups either set the truck up to lay out OFF the ground to get more ride height, or move to a different bag type. if you try to ride around topped out the shockwave shock will break. I have seen it happen in person.

those lincolns are 5 on 4.25 stock but you can make them 5 on 4.5 with cobra IRS parts if I remember right. you can also use the cobra center section to get a LSD, the mark viii used electronic limited slip, applied the brake on the spinning wheel to make the other spin.

good luck, great start! thanks for all the high res pictures!

Old 02-04-2020, 06:02 PM   #11
AHenry014

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
looks really really great!

shockwaves dont make great bags for ultra slammed trucks because they only have about 5" of usable stroke, even with the geometry of the a arms that will only work out to about 7-8 inches of lift total. make sure that your 6-7" ride height isnt topping out or close to topping out your shockwave, its usually closer to 4" for half travel on a shockwave (with the front end geometry added) so most setups either set the truck up to lay out OFF the ground to get more ride height, or move to a different bag type. if you try to ride around topped out the shockwave shock will break. I have seen it happen in person.

those lincolns are 5 on 4.25 stock but you can make them 5 on 4.5 with cobra IRS parts if I remember right. you can also use the cobra center section to get a LSD, the mark viii used electronic limited slip, applied the brake on the spinning wheel to make the other spin.

good luck, great start! thanks for all the high res pictures!
Thank you for your thoughts! Ridetech lists "extended length" and "ride height" in the specs, with ride height being 1.5" shorter than extended length. I have considered this so i am not rolling around fully extended. I do (now) recognize the limitations of the shockwaves, even though i have the longest stroke model. I measure within 1-2" of rocker on ground when laid out, but that will all depend on the tire i choose, which is tentatively 28". I can always buy longer ends if they dont work out. It was comforting that even after deciding on the 1" extended shock eye (after extensive repeated measurements and visuals), that it aligned with Team321/Dave's recommendation for his crossmember/crown vic suspension.

I tossed around the idea of going with the cobra hubs, but from a cost and simplicity standpoint, I ultimately went with a redrilling jig. It will redrill the factory lincoln hubs and rotors for 5x4.5. Seeing as how ONE cobra hub is to the tune of 167 dollars, a $140 jig seemed like a better idea. The drilling jig came from Hells Gate Hot Rods, a very popular option on the Mark VIII forum for guys wanting to use mustang wheels. As a bonus, i just need the jig to redrill new rotors, I dont need adapters for the calipers, and i can run smaller rear wheels.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:05 PM   #12
joedoh

redrilling sounds like a great option.

as long as you are realistic about the lift, shockwaves ride and handle great. usually a separate bag and shock combo will lift more, but rolling 3 inches off the ground is a damn lot of fun too.

Old 03-14-2021, 04:55 PM   #13
jaws61

That's one sweet looking build, what do your wheels width look in the wheels wheels because I've heard the Crown Vic stuff is a bit wide for our truck.. I'm thinking of putting one in mine why I'm looking for a idea.. what wheels and back spacing you running??
jaws61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 10:56 AM   #14
AHenry014

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaws61 View Post
That's one sweet looking build, what do your wheels width look in the wheels wheels because I've heard the Crown Vic stuff is a bit wide for our truck.. I'm thinking of putting one in mine why I'm looking for a idea.. what wheels and back spacing you running??
Been a while since ive been able to get on here. Truck progress is slow with a recent move. Wont make the wedding which im not happy about, but such is life.

The use of the Team321 subframe narrows the front hub to hub width, opening up wheel options immensely. Started with a borrowed 18x9 with a 255/40 on it for reference. Ended up choosing an 18x10 american racing wheel,which i plan to use on all four corners. I believe it is et0. Fitment is quite good so far, but still need to fab in the steering and cycle it back and forth to determine how badly it will rub the fender. Getting there!