The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-30-2018, 12:07 PM   #1
deathcharge

73 Chevy C10 won't start / no fuel ? Help?

I'm new here. My Dad passed away and I got his old 73 chevy truck. I have zero knowledge of carburetor engines. For as long as I can remember it has always had trouble starting. We always had to climb up in the motor and pour some gas down the top of the carb to get it to start. I know my dad had the carb rebuilt and that didn't fix it. He took it to another mechanic that just replaced stuff. Fuel Pump , fuel filter, fuel lines I believe; and that didn't fix the problem. The truck will start right up if it only sits for a few days; leave it set for longer than a week, forget it, it won't start.

I think the last mechanic said fuel pressure was good, he adjusted the choke?. He said you may have to pump the gas pedal 6 or 7 times but it always started for him but he never let it sit very long either and then tried to start it.

is this a common problem with letting a carb engine set for weeks?
Any ideas anyone?

Thank you ahead of time.
deathcharge is offline   Reply With Quote