The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2014, 08:09 PM   #26
7CHEYENNE2

Re: Just looked at a 72 and thought it was priced high - are my expectations off?

My mention of "original motor" was more in reference to not having a built engine 383 and so on... but a stock 350...thus a 3K truck
7CHEYENNE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:26 PM   #27
tcoop68
tcoop68

Re: Just looked at a 72 and thought it was priced high - are my expectations off?

I bought a 72 lwb super Cheyenne all original a couple of months for 1800.00 and drove it home it just had common issues easy repairs , just be patient and you should score.
tcoop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:06 AM   #28

I'm looking at a 72 GMC Custom Deluxe LWB w/AC, PB, PS, rear leaf spring, upper and lower trim, Soft Ray and a couple other minor options. Has later model 350. Runs and drives excellent. Has protecto plate, orig owner's manual and some other original paperwork. Original carpet in great shape and the seat has been recovered. New tires and Rally wheels. Cab corners, rockers are original and rust free. Has new cab and radiator mounts/bushings, rebuilt front end, brakes, HEI and about $500 worth of new parts. Has a cheapo paint job, though. The truck sells for $4500. I think it's GREAT deal. Opinions?
1970 Sierra Grande LWB, 350/350
1971 Cheyenne LWB, 350/350
1972 Cheyenne Super LWB, 402/400
1972 Sierra Grande LWB, 402/400
1979 Silverado LWB, 350/350
1984 Suburban
1990 454 SS
1991 Silverado, X-cab, 4.3/5 speed Getrag
2005 Silverado Crew Cab
Corvettes: 75, 77, 78, 93, 96
73737373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:46 AM   #29
C10 - C90 Bill

If I was in your local area of TN, I would keep searching for a better deal. Since you asked, I personally wouldn't pay that much for a truck like that around here in SW Virginia.

I also very much agree with the Barrett-Jackson comment.

Bill
C10 - C90 Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:28 PM   #30
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

This is the day I brought this truck home. 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom. Untouched greasy hulk 350 and TH350. Very mild rust in the rockers. Runs and drives like a champ.

I parted with only $800 bucks for it.

So there are better deals to be had.

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:47 PM   #31
dman535

I ended up buying a truck - ironically it was more than the Chevy I started this thread on. The Mrs. fell in love with it and it drove like a champ:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...19#post6677219
dman535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:47 PM   #32
slow-1

Congrats on the new ride and a happy Mrs.
Original 350 (3 rebuilds)
700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives

slow-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:32 PM   #33
dajn
Account Suspended

$800 is a steal. Looks like a $2500 pickup at least. Nice score
dajn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:14 AM   #34
pcdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by itstheDRE4M View Post
I paid 3800 for this one..
Do you have any more pics of your truck? Im considering something close to your color for mine...
pcdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:37 AM   #35
resto newbie

Wow! $800! That makes me feel like a dope for paying $1500 for my 67 small window swb.

1967 Chevy C10 "Project DV8ED"
1994 Nissan 300zx convertible
2004 Chevy 2500HD crew cab 4x4
resto newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:56 PM   #36
DGulliver

I can't understand the connection to where Barrett-Jackson is responsible for the collector truck market, or somehow is to blame?

I've been in this hobby since the 1970's, my dad was very active in the Buick club of America as well as local/regional clubs and shows while I was growing up. I've been buying, driving, enjoying and selling old cars and trucks since before I had a driver's license. I've seen markets rise and fall and rise again for all types of vehicles over the years. These trucks, for the first time are hot right now. Nobody paid them any attention much until the last 5 years, and it's really ramped up since then. It will eventually settle to where the big money is in high option big block short beds restored to factory, or restomods/pro tourers that are extremely well executed. This same scenario happened with '65/66 Mustangs in the 80's, where prices went really stupid high for awhile. But today I can buy a decent driver quality V8 Mustang coupe for $6k again. It's all part of a cycle, and it's constantly evolving and changing. One thing that remains strong across the board are factory original restorations, well preserved survivors, and documented rare or high optioned vehicles.

Y'all mad at me for buying $2500 trucks, doing some maintenance and cosmetics and selling it later for $4500? I'm earning money to feed my family and spend on my own trucks. Am I to blame too, for somehow inflating the market? Everything I've ever sold went to a happy buyer who was glad to get it. I've sold multiple vehicles to lots of guys, repeat buyers who like my vehicles, prices and honesty. I'm not "ripping anybody off" or dishonestly "cashing in" on unsuspecting folks, and neither are the auction companies.

Remember that every time the hammer falls at a Mecum or Barrett-Jackson sale, there's a guy standing there with his checkbook out who wants that car or truck at that price. Nobody is forcing anybody to buy anything. They are in no way capable of inventing a false market for anything. The market now and always will be determined by whatever somebody is willing to pay for something-there is no "blame" for anything to be placed!

These reality TV shows and televised auctions have certainly created lots of new interest in the hobby, and more folks out there want old cars and trucks. I don't understand where somebody needs to be blamed for that?
'96 Dodge Indy Ram Official Indy Truck
'99 Porsche 911 Carrera
DGulliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:28 PM   #37
skorpioskorpio

^^^ Absolutly agree.

There are the few that make money buying and selling old cars, but the most time tested way to make a million dollars buying, fixing up and selling old cars is to start with 2 million.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #38

What BJ and Mecum do is give a person who simply does not know the difference between a valuable and not-so-valuable truck an inflated value of what they think theirs is worth. 72 Chevrolet truck does not automatically mean big dollars, but many think their 6 cylinder, 3 on the tree C/10 that's been sitting out in the field for 20 years is worth 5 times as much as it is if you sold it as scrap, which many times is all that it's worth. DGulliver stated it very eloquently, the market cycles over time, but there will ALWAY be some trucks that are more valuable than others.
73737373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:52 PM   #39
imjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGulliver View Post
I can't understand the connection to where Barrett-Jackson is responsible for the collector truck market, or somehow is to blame?

I've been in this hobby since the 1970's, my dad was very active in the Buick club of America as well as local/regional clubs and shows while I was growing up. I've been buying, driving, enjoying and selling old cars and trucks since before I had a driver's license. I've seen markets rise and fall and rise again for all types of vehicles over the years. These trucks, for the first time are hot right now. Nobody paid them any attention much until the last 5 years, and it's really ramped up since then. It will eventually settle to where the big money is in high option big block short beds restored to factory, or restomods/pro tourers that are extremely well executed. This same scenario happened with '65/66 Mustangs in the 80's, where prices went really stupid high for awhile. But today I can buy a decent driver quality V8 Mustang coupe for $6k again. It's all part of a cycle, and it's constantly evolving and changing. One thing that remains strong across the board are factory original restorations, well preserved survivors, and documented rare or high optioned vehicles.

Y'all mad at me for buying $2500 trucks, doing some maintenance and cosmetics and selling it later for $4500? I'm earning money to feed my family and spend on my own trucks. Am I to blame too, for somehow inflating the market? Everything I've ever sold went to a happy buyer who was glad to get it. I've sold multiple vehicles to lots of guys, repeat buyers who like my vehicles, prices and honesty. I'm not "ripping anybody off" or dishonestly "cashing in" on unsuspecting folks, and neither are the auction companies.

Remember that every time the hammer falls at a Mecum or Barrett-Jackson sale, there's a guy standing there with his checkbook out who wants that car or truck at that price. Nobody is forcing anybody to buy anything. They are in no way capable of inventing a false market for anything. The market now and always will be determined by whatever somebody is willing to pay for something-there is no "blame" for anything to be placed!

These reality TV shows and televised auctions have certainly created lots of new interest in the hobby, and more folks out there want old cars and trucks. I don't understand where somebody needs to be blamed for that?
Well said! Blaming auctioneers is like blaming a fork for obesity.
67 Chevelle 396, 4 speed
74 FXE
08 Tahoe
imjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:02 PM   #40
skorpioskorpio

The other side of this coin is that classic car prices will absolutely crash and crash hard and in the not so distant future. The vast majority of collectors are in their late 50s and 60s and there are relatively few younger than that group, watch a Mecum auction sometime. The collectors are getting older and there is really no significant group following them. As this group enters their 70s a lot of these cars will be sold off to fund retirement, a lot will be inherited by kids not into the hobby that will also sell them off. The market is doomed to tank, as will real estate because there simply is no younger buyers who can afford these things at their current level.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:03 PM   #41
Rod Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjeff View Post
Well said! Blaming auctioneers is like blaming a fork for obesity.
So are you saying it's really the spoon's fault?

I always suspected that too!!!
Old 05-28-2014, 02:09 PM   #42
davepl

>Sounds a little high like you say. $5000 should buy you a very solid pickup that doesn't have tons of issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72freak View Post
Certainly not lately.
How do you figure? My big-block, numbers-matching, AC, no-rust, one-owner (almost) '70 cost me $6500. So yeah, I wouldn't pay over $5K for anything that has rust, unless it's some hyper-rare unit.

Mind you I searched quite a while. And I ran across a lot of doobs trying to sell questionable stuff with Chinese chrome and Pep Boys steering wheels for $15K, but if you look at what stuff SELLS for as opposed to what people ask, it just takes patience.

If you need a truck this weekend, and there's only two in the area, then you're in a different situation.

At for the auction houses, I don't blame them, but here's the BIGGEST problem they have been party to. I'll use an Impala as an example instead of our trucks because it's easier. One day you see some '62 Convertible Impala SS with 409 tri-power and 10,000 original miles sell for $150K. Next week everyone with a rusted out four-door six-banger '62 Impala thinks theirs is worth big money now.

Same thing will happen to our trucks. Big-block short beds will continue to go wild. No idea what highly optioned longer trucks like mine will do, but the basic 350 landscaper truck will likely not appreciate in value much.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:19 PM   #43
imjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpioskorpio View Post
The other side of this coin is that classic car prices will absolutely crash and crash hard and in the not so distant future. The vast majority of collectors are in their late 50s and 60s and there are relatively few younger than that group, watch a Mecum auction sometime. The collectors are getting older and there is really no significant group following them. As this group enters their 70s a lot of these cars will be sold off to fund retirement, a lot will be inherited by kids not into the hobby that will also sell them off. The market is doomed to tank, as will real estate because there simply is no younger buyers who can afford these things at their current level.
People said the same thing 40 years ago when all the new fangled cars came out with emissions, electronic ignitions, seat belts and became "impossible" to work on. Of course we were entering an ice age and running out of oil, too! I see plenty of younger folks getting into the hobby. Some out of necessity (new Suburban or pickup is $70,000) and some because they had fond memories of old trucks. There's a kid don the street from me with a 70 C10 and a 68 Chevelle in his driveway. No Leaf, no Prius, no foreign can car. When things get stupid cheap from lack of demand, demand increases. It's a beautiful thing!
67 Chevelle 396, 4 speed
74 FXE
08 Tahoe
Old 05-28-2014, 02:38 PM   #44
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
There's a kid don the street from me with a 70 C10 and a 68 Chevelle in his driveway. No Leaf, no Prius, no foreign can car.
I hope my neighbors see us this way

We're one of the "young ones" in the neighborhood with me at 33 and the wife at 30. The garage houses a very nice 65 mustang and POS rusty 67 firebird project. Outside is my Z71, the wifes 11 Mustang and my 67 C10.

I don't think the price was crazy for the first truck posted. Not what I would want to pay for it, but the right buyer would.

I like the blue/white truck the OP did pick up.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:55 PM   #45
imjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post

We're one of the "young ones" in the neighborhood with me at 33 and the wife at 30. The garage houses a very nice 65 mustang and POS rusty 67 firebird project. Outside is my Z71, the wifes 11 Mustang and my 67 C10.

I don't think the price was crazy for the first truck posted. Not what I would want to pay for it, but the right buyer would.

I like the blue/white truck the OP did pick up.
Keep it up! I'm looking to retire closer to where you live than I live. You do still have sun there, right?
67 Chevelle 396, 4 speed
74 FXE
08 Tahoe
Old 05-28-2014, 03:10 PM   #46
jocko

I love Barrett Jackson when it comes time to sell... Not so much when it's time to buy . My problem is that it's always time to buy and not to sell.

It's not their fault (BJ's) - it's an auction, so if folks weren't willing to pay the high prices, they wouldn't get sold (as was well pointed out above). Having said that, some folks have much more $ than sense (I have neither) and they'll throw money at what is considered the auto/truck du jour - causing the price tide to rise across the board. And trucks have been gaining in popularity over a long period of time, which somewhat "hurts" buyers like us - the ones that want drivers or nice old original trucks - because the average truck prices rise with the cream of the crop truck prices. Oh well. The one downside of the big auctions (for when we are buying, not selling) is that the average uninformed joe will quote "a truck just like this sold on BJ for $$$$$$" and that may, in fact, be true - and some folks will leap at it, further rising the price tide. Again, it's all well and good when it comes time for one of us to sell, we can jump on that same bandwagon, but if you're primarily a buyer and hoarder, buy it now, because it will only cost more tomorrow. I personally don't see the market dropping out of the bottom as baby boomers keel over. Too many young folks, on here, and elsewhere that just simply love these trucks, so I think demand will always be high. My 2 cents. That and a quarter won't get you a cup of coffee.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:15 PM   #47
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Keep it up! I'm looking to retire closer to where you live than I live. You do still have sun there, right?
The ice caps haven't reached this area yet.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:50 PM   #48
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post

I have old trucks all around me where I live and not any of the cats that have them are over the age of 35. There is a kid and his wife that live one street over with a '56 Chevy 3100, and his wife drives a '70 Nova. There are 2 1965 C10's at the same house on the block I live on. Both are driven daily. There is a '63 C10 (C10 body sitting on later model lifted 4x4 chassis) less than a block away. Lastly there is a '70 K20 at the bottom of the hill on the street that comes up to our area. Pretty cool to see that much old iron still being driven by "young" cats.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:57 PM   #49
skorpioskorpio

Quote:
People said the same thing 40 years ago when all the new fangled cars came out with emissions, electronic ignitions, seat belts and became "impossible" to work on. Of course we were entering an ice age and running out of oil, too! I see plenty of younger folks getting into the hobby. Some out of necessity (new Suburban or pickup is $70,000) and some because they had fond memories of old trucks. There's a kid don the street from me with a 70 C10 and a 68 Chevelle in his driveway. No Leaf, no Prius, no foreign can car. When things get stupid cheap from lack of demand, demand increases. It's a beautiful thing!
There isn't that many younger folks who even know what a hobby is. Most males that turned drinking age this year have never built a model, very few have rode a motorised 2 wheel vehicle scaled smaller than adult sized, many have not ever fixed a bicycle and some have never owned a bicycle, or mowed a lawn other than their own. Even Lego sales are declining, consumer tool sales are way down, there simply isn't the mentality to carry on the hobby at the same scale. It has little to do with Priuses and Leafs it has to do with skill development. For quite a while now American youth has chose to be electronically entertained as opposed to creating anything.

How many hobby stores do you remember that are now gone? Were they replaced with some giant Hobby Depot? No, they are just gone, the concept is gone. How many kids do you know that have built a tree house in the last 10, hell 20 years, by themselves, not as a father son project. Do you know many kids that have changed a bicyle tire tube? Do you even know where you would puchase such a thing now, not online?

Point is that, yes some kids do such things, in my youth most kids did such things. Those born after the '80s have a very different view of the world, you can say I'm wrong but there is a lot of companies that used to be that will tell you different, and they didn't all die because Walmart moved to town.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:19 PM   #50
Savidio44

Amen Brother.............you have to love it because it's an expensive hobby. I don't play golf, I don't gamble and I don't do drugs. So I buy trucks....
Savidio44 is offline   Reply With Quote