The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2020, 12:03 AM   #1
SCHRUMGMC

6 cylinder (270)to an LS engine

I’m converting my truck from a GMC 270 to a LS engine soon and am wanting guidance

I am confused as to what I’ll have to use to change the E-brake system on my stock steering column. I want to keep the stock rear end but will need to up the gear ratio I assume

I know I’ll have to change cross members and change fuel tank etc

I need some pointers as to what I’ll have to change on the current set ups

I just don’t want to talk my friends head off about this conversion since he is swap it for me

Thanks, any advice will be greatly appreciated from those who have done something similar

Last edited by SCHRUMGMC; 02-22-2020 at 01:46 AM.
SCHRUMGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 01:40 PM   #2
e015475

Re: 6 cylinder (270)to an LS engine

Your request isn't getting much traction - more information is needed.

For starters, need to know the transmission and suspension you intend to use.

You can use your existing column by using a 'column saver' to modify it for the LS installation in many cases.

If you're running an open diff, you might find traction problematic with an LS and a 'one legger'

There's a "Conversions - Hybrids" board on the LS1tech.com website and you're likely to find a build log for a LS in a truck similar to yours. That'd be a good place to start.
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:24 PM   #3
dsraven

A little more information would be good. Are you buying a wreck with an LS engine and complete Driveline, or are you buying individual pieces from a wrecker or some other source? I suggest buying a wreck from the insurance company or whatever. That way you get everything you need to do your swap. Like sad, colume saver kit is available to cut off the old steering column and make it shorter. You also need to change the front suspension that way or come up with a different steering box to make it all work. Camaro exhaust manifolds will work with the frame because the regular truck engine manifold will be too wide to fit between the rails. You'll also need to change the oil pan and oil pump pickup tube Etc. In order to fit it in your truck without dragging on the ground. That all depends on the ride height of your truck though. Like said, a little more information is required. .
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 02:34 PM   #4
SCHRUMGMC

I’m using a 80-87 parking brake assembly as well

Sorry for the lack of information

My friend is doing the swap. We are planning on getting a wrecked and moving things over

I’ll look up the column saver and am using potentially a 4L60e transmission and a regular Ls

Thanks again yall