The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2019, 12:38 AM   #176
VWNate1

Post Cheap Tools

Naw ;

I knew it was crap when I bought it .

As a Journeyman Mechanic I understand the value of good tools, as a fat guy (200 + #) I've been beating the snot out of creepers for decades, I'll make up some sort of gusset where the frame failed and go forward....

Harbor Freight has allowed me to do many jobs for 1/4 the price, I know the tools are cheaply designed and made, as long as I get one or two jobs out of them I'm O.K. with that, whenever I notice a tool failing I take it apart and discard it so no one else gets hurt if they find it in my scrap metal bin .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
VWNate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:15 PM   #177
vintovka

Re: Cheap Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWNate1 View Post
Naw ;

I knew it was crap when I bought it .

As a Journeyman Mechanic I understand the value of good tools, as a fat guy (200 + #) I've been beating the snot out of creepers for decades, I'll make up some sort of gusset where the frame failed and go forward....

Harbor Freight has allowed me to do many jobs for 1/4 the price, I know the tools are cheaply designed and made, as long as I get one or two jobs out of them I'm O.K. with that, whenever I notice a tool failing I take it apart and discard it so no one else gets hurt if they find it in my scrap metal bin .
Don't care if a one time use tool breaks its when one can really hurt/kill you that concerns me. Especially when the manufacturer doesn't want it known.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 03:55 AM   #178
Jesse Z
Account Suspended

Re: Danger will robinson !

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
They have a very serious and dangerous design/materials defect. The insert and studs will strip regardless of tightening or loctite. Told them about it and they never responded (they know all about it). Sent pics and Professional Mechanical engineering opinion to a Product Safety Attorney. They very are interested. Put yours away and wait - might be worth it,
Mine did the same thing. I put lock washers on the caster mounts. Its been solid now for several years. I hate it when guys get sue-happy and make products expensive or unavailable for the rest of us. Hey, if you can't even make a seat work right, how are you going to make your car drive safely on the road? ;-)
Jesse Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:02 AM   #179
VWNate1

Exclamation Dangerous Tools

Oh, yes ~ I understand that completely .

I have some horror stories about failed coil spring compressors and so on....
Old 12-21-2019, 10:40 PM   #180
vintovka

Re: Danger will robinson !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Z View Post
Mine did the same thing. I put lock washers on the caster mounts. Its been solid now for several years. I hate it when guys get sue-happy and make products expensive or unavailable for the rest of us. Hey, if you can't even make a seat work right, how are you going to make your car drive safely on the road? ;-)
I cannot see anyway to fix it except welding caster base to frame. As said earlier i bought one that longer thru studs are retained by cap nuts and has a thicker seat for under $30 shipped. Like night and day and stopped worrying every time i moved when on it. Back of my head still hurts and will have doc take a look and maybe get some better migrane stuff.
Old 12-24-2019, 12:05 AM   #181
vintovka

Re: 50 years ago I was given this USAF 54 3100

Well back to old truck.. I have an enormously cheap ($16) Pyle radio with a remote, Having it installed in glove box has been somewhat a problem. Keeping the glove box open to use the remote negates its purpose and poses a safety issue as does operating the radio manually. Leaving it open either with or without a passenger is not good idea either. I researched and found very little.. Asked a radio shop and they suggested an IR relay. Found one on net. And IT WORKS!!!. Heres the relay: Cable Matters Infrared Remote Extender Cable, IR Repeater Cable - 10 Feet

Per Pics (and lack of $) I put the receiver on the dash below windshield . Hung transmitter on small L in front of radios built in receiver and ran power to a aux cigarette lighter receptacle and a .99 store USB plug with an led power light. They have better stuff but I used what I had in keeping with rest of truck. I tried the remote in my cheapy cell phone holder and it WORKS! So a 16 buck radio, 10 buck relay and a .99 cent USB plug = a $27 solution. The usb led acts as a --wait for it -- a cheapy courtesy light!!
Attached Images

Old 12-24-2019, 10:06 PM   #182
VWNate1

Post $16 Pyle Radio

I'm curious : where did you buy the radio for $16 ? .

I ASS-U-ME a junkyard or yard / tag sale, something like that ? .

Long long ago I learned that most factory radios don't look fancy but when connected to good quality speakers and maybe a decent amplifier, they'll out sound most of the kiddies !! LOOK AT ME !! flashing crappy, distorted systems .
Old 12-24-2019, 10:44 PM   #183
vintovka

Nope brand new $16 delivered. For those who been out of the automotive electronics (like me) its a shock. Google Pyle radios at Walmart.com and you may find ones from $13 to $39.95 that can only be described as astounding. AM, fm, sd, MP3, bluetooth.USB ports headphone jacks, remote controls. the works. Last device this old truck had was a 4 track and it was stolen in 1971!!. The guts of these current "radios" only take up the front inch or so of the case . The rest is mostly empty. I use the sd and down load all the 60s-80d music i like.

Heres a link to spendy sub $20 one thats only a couple inches deep. the short depth on some of these would really help with limited AD dash space.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dual-Elec...ll&athena=true

Last edited by vintovka; 12-24-2019 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-25-2019, 02:20 AM   #184
VWNate1

Thumbs up Affordable Radios

Wow .

I don't need all that crap but that's amazing .

I have old Becker's that work fine and have amazing sound quality, $14 each from my local junkyard .

I bought a portable CD player and $1 cassette adapter thing-a-ma-jig (technical term there) and used it a few times then decide it's too much hassle .

My '82 240D came to me with a new (then) Kenwood CD player in the dash, it works fine, I play CD's in it when I'm traveling long distance or when my Foster boys want to hear my pre war Blues or other old man music .
Old 12-25-2019, 02:49 AM   #185
vintovka

Youre really dating yourself. Cassettes are long obsolete and CDs have about disappeared. The SD card will be the end tech for me and even it faces obsolescent from smart phones. In car wireless bluetooth is also available. Still have one 4 track tape -- Beatles. Its right next to my brick phone and telegraph key. Few have ever seen any of them.
Old 12-25-2019, 03:44 AM   #186
VWNate1

Post Re: 50 years ago I was given this USAF 54 3100

I can dig it .

I have a candlestick telephone next to my bed and Princess 'phones in my kitchen cabinet, bought many decades ago to make the girlfriends happy, now they don't care and hate the dial....

As long as I can motorvate I'm happy, I don't need no stinkin' radio .

Candlestick telephone : https://www.google.com/search?source...31.KgT9ck9-t_w
Old 12-28-2019, 09:14 PM   #187
vintovka

Going to the beach almost every non rainy day and doing the little stuff. You can see how crowded it is up here.

Today i Rewired the electric radiator fan. The clowns who installed wired it direct to that battery, so the fan kicked on when engine/key was off. They used several pieces of old wire as well. I Rewired with one hot wire to key on power and added a bypass switch to turn it on at any temp if needed. Still get honks and waves traveling from home to Post Office in "town". Its in the corner of the general store
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2019, 12:13 AM   #188
VWNate1

Post Electric Fans

Actually ;

Running it live is the best way as after a hard run in Summer you'll want to fan to keep running a while after shut down of engine, if you put the thermo switch in the radiator outlet or upper radiator tank it'll only run a short while then shut off, reducing HEAT SOAK ~ a very bad thing indeed .

That beach is -so- crowded, I don't know how you stand it .
Old 12-29-2019, 12:28 AM   #189
vintovka

Thanks but truck rarely gets above 195 when running and takes a while for switch to go on at 198. Barely gets to 210 when stopped. Kinda tired of folks telling me i left engine on. I have an over ride now and can reconnect direct hook up easily so kinda covered.

Yes often only folks on beach or road. Very nice and no worries thanks to CCW.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:52 AM   #190
losdudes

Just read your thread, great job on the truck. BTW USAF, Okinawa 72-73
losdudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:29 PM   #191
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by losdudes View Post
Just read your thread, great job on the truck. BTW USAF, Okinawa 72-73
May said earlier that USAF "MO-GAS" receipts from the early 60s were found behind and under to old in cab tank. Some were from Kadena AFB and other from Pusan AFB Korea. I have been to both but mainly stuck in Thailand
Old 02-15-2020, 08:28 PM   #192
vintovka

Trucks been running great. 101 ocean cruises every day it doesn't rain too hard. Went out to garage earlier today and UH_OOH!!!, Green drips all over under trucks front!!!, Drug out the creeper and what do i see? Coolant and rust coming out the water pump weep hole!!!!. Took a screwdriver an scraped the the area around the weep hole and got another nasty surprise. My "brand new" water pump is not "Brand new" but the 24 year old one form the original engine just repainted.. I can see the weird red anti rust i painted on in 1996 under the new black. The narcotic addicted "mechanic" is now long gone along with the $ i forked out. Good news is found a brand new pump on line for under $30 shipped. Hopefully The new pump plus about $160 in labor will make the leak history. Paying twice for something is painful.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:42 PM   #193
MiraclePieCo

I always enjoy the "Oregon pothead mechanic" tales of woe!
Old 02-16-2020, 01:32 AM   #194
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
I always enjoy the "Oregon pothead mechanic" tales of woe!
Sadly its spreading to all aspects of life. From contractors to surgeons the trust factor is dissipating and the cost in dollars and life is growing. One might even think its the plan.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:26 AM   #195
MiraclePieCo

Nah, I think it's just the way things have always been in Oregon. It's kinda the Appalachia of the west.

I once bought a new Toyota 4WD PU. I took it to a canopy dealer for a new camper shell. They installed LAST YEAR'S model that didn't fit right - had a noticeable gap between the canopy and the cab. Dealer tries to tell me I can just fill the gap with silicone - maybe some duct tape, right?

That's just the way we rock here.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:55 PM   #196
vintovka

Bad car work can cost you money and sometimes your life, if a critical part fails. Brakes failed on locals just after passing the worse and treacherous section of 199 from Brookings to Grants Pass. 2nd time for this one and heard they fired pothead and filed paperwork with workman's comp to help prevent anyone else hiring him. Ever. Owner may sue the guy as well if a court issue. In Oregon bad reps last for eons and we wonder how long the shop will stay open. Was a AAA rated and lost it. Insurance companies also may not pay for claims work either. The states have no idea of the ramifications of legalizing a Federally illegal addictive and life destroying drug. Oh, No problem you the taxpayer will cover it. And now back to AD's
My New Pump is here and i mean brand new delco!!!. Off brand rebuilt parts have been really bad lately . Just replaced a bad power steering pump as mention in earlier post. - even NAPA is checking each one before they sell any rebuilt part. You should to!! but sometimes hard to tell until after its installed.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:22 PM   #197
vintovka

New pump has been correctly and expertly installed and working great, I noticed its running cooler. Even sounds better!! The old pump and hose were confirmed as originals. They were just repainted and reinstalled for the purpose of fraud. Cops and Bureau of automotive repair and licensing agree and following up. They do remind to always get take off parts back and a detailed bill with part numbers and cost clearly listed.

Another 101 ocean cruise is planned in AM. Best with Moody Blues blasting away on a bright sunny day!!
Old 07-10-2020, 01:18 AM   #198
vintovka

Some ocean cruise pics.
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2020, 03:22 AM   #199
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
Some ocean cruise pics.
Nice pics. I was over in your neighborhood last week for some hiking and beachcombing, and happened upon an impromptu car show in Brookings hosted by the Curry Coastal Cruisers.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:00 AM   #200
vintovka

I heard about that but was unable to attend. Many here are fed up with the phony virus stuff and the governors gestapo tactics so there may be more. Trying to go to the rescheduled Azalea day parade on the 17th in Brookings but not sure it will happen as we hear "Brown" is upset we had firework shows in Curry County and wants to punish us.