The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2019, 10:41 PM   #1
damnyankee36

Carpet Vendors?

After test fitting my carpet I noticed that the area between the kick panels was at least an inch too short. I see this has been an issue in the past. It looks like Auto Custom Carpets is the go-to in carpeting. However, it looks like they also might be a little short in this dimension according to a post or two I read.

Has anybody recently tried ACC or another brand that fits better? Personally, I'd rather it be too big all around so I could finish the final trimming.

Thanks!
damnyankee36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:28 AM   #2
norcalcap

Re: Carpet Vendors?

I just purchased an ACC kit in Dec and it fit just about perfect. Plenty of extra carpet at the doors and rear for trimming. At the kick panel where it is a finished edge, it fits about as perfect as you can get for aftermarket. All the molded areas were right where they should be. If I was to be super particular, I would like to see the finished edge where the brake cable passes through the firewall have a notch. If I lowered the carpet below the cable it didn't match the seat mount hump. So I chose to push it forward and will have to make my own relief cut. Minor issue IMO for an otherwise perfect fit.
norcalcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:11 AM   #3
AcampoDave

Used Acc carpet in 2 trucks. A '64 high hump and a '66 low hump. Both came up a bit short between the kick panels, but the low hump was worse. I thought maybe it was a touch off square when I laid it down as one side was more affected than the other, but when I tried squaring it up it stayed the same due to the way it hugs the center hump. Oh well, it's still a lot better than the nasty ol' shag carpet remnant that was in there when I bought it.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:46 AM   #4
The Rocknrod

I asked ACC about the kick panels being short. They stated it's that way because GM did it that way. Did these even come with carpet new?
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:21 AM   #5
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

You can go to an upholstery shop and get the cardboard backing and make your own, Velcro works fairly well to secure it

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:38 PM   #6
TopFuel1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
I asked ACC about the kick panels being short. They stated it's that way because GM did it that way. Did these even come with carpet new?
B.S. GM didn't do it that way because these trucks came OEM with a rubber mat.
TopFuel1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:57 PM   #7
Ronzo

TopFuel1966
That's what I thought as well. Thanks.
Ronzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:39 PM   #8
damnyankee36

Yeah, after thinking about it, I'm gonna cut about an inch or two off the sides and add the required amount from the trimmed pieces to fit up to the kick panels and also add enough to fill the the little triangle-shaped nook. I'll splice like you would normally splice a typical carpet. I also have a buddy who has a heavy duty sewing machine to resew the finished edge hem.

I figure if I was gonna spend money on a new carpet I might as well try to modify this one. Nothing to lose!
damnyankee36 is offline   Reply With Quote