The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-18-2019, 08:16 PM   #1
85_Sierra_ Dually

Hard idle and rough shifting

Hey all, I have a 1976 C10. Chevrolet Performance 350, Stock th350 trans and everything is stock other than the engine. Problems all started today 5/18/19. Drove truck this morning and it was fine, parked it, ran errands and came back to wash it. I noticed it wasnt idling like normal so i let it cool and came back later. I then installed a heat insulator under the carburetor (been having heat soak issues). I went to drive the truck again, and boom. Truck was idling hard (not rough but seemed as it was just idling... hard is what ill say), going into gear it would almost break your neck it shifted so hard (both drive AND reverse), I went to test drive it to see if anything else was going on, and i noticed when first starting off, the truck would have a nice hesitation to it as well. I also noticed (only happened one time today and no times before) that it did not want to shift out of whatever gear it was in (2nd I believe). I have not checked timing or anything yet, a few plugs do have oil on the threads. ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated!
85_Sierra_ Dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:30 PM   #2
truckster

Re: Hard idle and rough shifting

Look for the vacuum line that goes to the trans modulator. The modulator helps soften shifts, and a vacuum leak will cause rough idle.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:17 PM   #3
85_Sierra_ Dually

Okay will check it tomorrow, as far as the hesitation, any ideas? The heat insulator raised the carburetor .32" and it doesnt seem to have done anything to the linkage, as far as moving the throttle (that i noticed). All of this started at the same time and i think its weird how the trans started breaking my neck and also started to idle (hard) and hesitate under initial acceleration.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:07 PM   #4
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_Sierra_ Dually View Post
Okay will check it tomorrow, as far as the hesitation, any ideas? The heat insulator raised the carburetor .32" and it doesnt seem to have done anything to the linkage, as far as moving the throttle (that i noticed). All of this started at the same time and i think its weird how the trans started breaking my neck and also started to idle (hard) and hesitate under initial acceleration.
Not weird at all when you understand how it they all work together.. The modulator valve is a part that's attached to the transmission.. It basically controls the shifting.. It's powered by vacuum from the engine's intake manifold.. That vacuum is "piped" to the valve by a hose or some type of "hard line".. When this pipe develops a leak, the vacuum doesn't reach the modulator valve and the valve can't do it's job.. The leak also causes the engine to run lean (too much air for the amount of fuel being delivered by the carburetor), causing hesitation, rough idle, and possibly developing a miss..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:13 PM   #5
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

^ Yup.

Especially if the engine is able to draw transmission fluid into itself.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:17 PM   #6
85_Sierra_ Dually

Okay thanks guys, for the help. Ill check all that tomorrow, the truck does need a transmission (gotta work for what I need haha), i just found it odd that it just happened all at once and i overlooked that possibility, thanks for your help, ill take a look at it tomorrow and let you guys know what i found
Old 05-19-2019, 02:42 PM   #7
85_Sierra_ Dually

Checked the modulator line and it was barely on the steel line to the modulator, must've knocked it off the line when I put my air cleaner on yesterday (silly me, right LOL). Thanks guys for all your help. Much appreciated!
Old 05-21-2019, 10:12 AM   #8
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_Sierra_ Dually View Post
Checked the modulator line and it was barely on the steel line to the modulator, must've knocked it off the line when I put my air cleaner on yesterday (silly me, right LOL). Thanks guys for all your help. Much appreciated!
I'm glad it was something simple. Those are always the best outcomes.