The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2011, 02:44 AM   #1
A.T. RockDriller

How I found My Truck...What's your story...?

.....Well, I've got an "Ok" story, at best (to be posted at a later date).
But after reading Richards72's story on the mid '60's picture thread, I'm convinced that there are some great stories out there.
Maybe not all this good....
Quote:
My uncle got it from a coworker who stole it.He didnt tell my uncle it was stolen.Then i traded a dog kennell to my uncle for it.The original owner knew the guy who stole it off him.He didnt want to press charges against him!
'66 GMC 4000...351C, 5&2
A.T. RockDriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:34 AM   #2
1964c-10

Re: How I found My Truck...What's your story...?

well mine isn't as good as that one but here it goes;

im not sure when my great uncle purchased the truck but my dad bought the '64 from him in '93. then dad drove it up until '98-'99 then parked it and upgraded. the truck sat until this past january when i decided to restore it so we drug it home and i have been working on it since then. sometime this week i am going to get the title transfered into my name finally!
1964 C20 custom cab, long fleetside bed, big back window, 4 on the floor

Disclaimer- anything posted is only based on my personal experience, opinions, and advice given by others. There are no implied or written warranties or guarantees with anything posted on this website.
1964c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
geezer#99

A couple years ago after I bought my 67 gmc and joined this forum I saw a post from hb32. He was looking for an Offy intake for his 230 in his 65. I pm'd him. I had one I'd acquired along with a clifford valve cover on ebay. He lived in Surrey (Vancouver suburb). I told him I'd gift it to him. Early xmas present.
Anywho along about then I sold my 67 to my retired buddy Jack who lives in the same area. Jack took the intake home when he came over to pick up the 67 and hb32 picked it up. About a month later I'm looking on craig's for another truck and spy hb32's old green 65 on there. I emailed him. Got the sad story about mid-life crisis and needing money for a little red vette. Told him I'd buy his truck only if I got the Offy for FREE!!
A few days later the deal was done. Offy looks and runs great.
So in the end it's all about the connection people have because of this awesome forum.
Oh yes. His little red vette is awesome too!!
Attached Images

geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
Brandonc20

I bought it from the uncle of a 14 year old who convinced his senial grandmother to let him take out $2800 out of his savings. the 14year old got a check each month from the U.S. Gov. because of his Native American bloodline. The man who sold him my truck could nopt read, speak, or write english so his pink slip was very "different". All in all...I bought it for $2200 thanks bud
Brandonc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
chevyrestoguy

I bought mine off of Craigslist. The guy who placed the ad couldn't have taken a worse picture of it. It was awful. The description said "'1964 or '66 Chevy truck. He wasn't even sure what it was. The poor guy had great intentions but like anyone who doesn't own a home with a garage, had no place to keep it. It wound up getting stored at all of his relatives and friend's houses until they either moved or got tired of looking it. When I bought it, it was in the backyard of a cousin's house who was about to be evicted. The owner was at his wit's end and just wanted it gone. He was asking $300, but came all the way down to $200 without me even uttering a word. He was desperate.

The truck has lived a very hard life, but it is an original A/C truck with original paint. The underdash ashtray is worth more than what I paid for the entire truck. It was a great deal that I couldn't pass on.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
Bret B

My grandfather bought this truck new off the lot in 1965 because it was the cheapest truck, period. My dad bought it for me when I was 14/15 for $300. I drove it through high school then parked while I was in the army. Was reserected in 1996 into 1997 where I had it at Ft. Drum with me, and drove it a couple months, and then parked again. She sits on stands in my garage finally out of any weather, or move.

Have all original paperwork, books, protecto, flares, etc., and typed thank you from the salesman. Original 235/3-in-the-tree replaced with junk yard 327/TH350. After a year, 327 lost oil pressure on the way to school one day. I built a very low budget 350 with guidance from my dad. Had a radio put in at the same time because there wasn't one, I regret that decision now because the radio delete plate is gone forever, and the rectangle cut out is shameful. I was 16.

I've put roughly 4,000 miles on the truck since I got it from my grandfather. Photos are of when I got the truck.

Bret
Attached Images

.................|_/(0)\_ll____/(0)_l.

Last edited by Bret B; 06-25-2011 at 12:01 PM. Reason: added photos
Bret B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #7
Frizzle Fry

My Dad was the 2nd owner. I'm the 3rd. He got it in the early 70 with a fresh rebuild on the 230. It's had ~40,000 miles since.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:17 PM   #8
bryankichler

I think this is my first post on here been browsing these forums for a couple years and just got my 66 back in November by chance haven't had time to mess with it its been parked while i am deployed big plans when i return.

but here's the story on how I got it.
My dad had been trying to sell his Harley sportster for over a year and this guy messaged me wanting to know if my dad would trade. So I went up in my at the time daily driver a mint condition 1966 ford falcon id been trying to sell for 3 years no one is really interested in an old 4 door no matter how great they look. Well the truck was great brand new engine built pushing around 450hp with all receipts from a reputable engine builder exhaust it needed help but it was a sharp long bed 66 Chevy pickup. I took pictures of everything before i got down to show my dad my step mom talked him out of it wanted money not another toy. So i called the guy up and told him my dad wasn't interested and if anything id give my falcon for it knowing he would say not a chance. I got lucky he was looking for a parade car that he could take the family in and now I'm the proud owner of a 66 Chevy.

That's a long winded story but look forward to starting my build thread when i return home.

[edit] forgot to add pictures

Last edited by bryankichler; 06-27-2011 at 10:01 AM.
bryankichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:59 PM   #9
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Cool story. Welcome to the forum even though you've been here a while. Good luck on your tour and thanks for serving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryankichler View Post
I think this is my first post on here been browsing these forums for a couple years and just got my 66 back in November by chance haven't had time to mess with it its been parked while i am deployed big plans when i return.

but here's the story on how I got it.
My dad had been trying to sell his Harley sportster for over a year and this guy messaged me wanting to know if my dad would trade. So I went up in my at the time daily driver a mint condition 1966 ford falcon id been trying to sell for 3 years no one is really interested in an old 4 door no matter how great they look. Well the truck was great brand new engine built pushing around 450hp with all receipts from a reputable engine builder exhaust it needed help but it was a sharp long bed 66 Chevy pickup. I took pictures of everything before i got down to show my dad my step mom talked him out of it wanted money not another toy. So i called the guy up and told him my dad wasn't interested and if anything id give my falcon for it knowing he would say not a chance. I got lucky he was looking for a parade car that he could take the family in and now I'm the proud owner of a 66 Chevy.

That's a long winded story but look forward to starting my build thread when i return home.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #10
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
A couple years ago after I bought my 67 gmc and joined this forum I saw a post from hb32. He was looking for an Offy intake for his 230 in his 65. I pm'd him. I had one I'd acquired along with a clifford valve cover on ebay. He lived in Surrey (Vancouver suburb). I told him I'd gift it to him. Early xmas present.
Anywho along about then I sold my 67 to my retired buddy Jack who lives in the same area. Jack took the intake home when he came over to pick up the 67 and hb32 picked it up. About a month later I'm looking on craig's for another truck and spy hb32's old green 65 on there. I emailed him. Got the sad story about mid-life crisis and needing money for a little red vette. Told him I'd buy his truck only if I got the Offy for FREE!!
A few days later the deal was done. Offy looks and runs great.
So in the end it's all about the connection people have because of this awesome forum.
Oh yes. His little red vette is awesome too!!
Your Offy story reminds me of my first V8 powered 54 Chevy sedan. I was determined to build one “some day”. As luck would have it, some property was being sold which required digging up and scrapping several cars buried there. One of them was a 55 Chevy sedan. Knowing I’d need the firewall mounted gas pedal pivot and linkage, I pulled off everything that was there. It was cleaned up, painted and hung on the wall. Five years later I actually did get a 54 Chevy, swapped in my very first 283, and finally got to install the first piece of the project acquired years earlier.

Getting our truck wasn’t quite so involved. In a previous life I had built a possessed 46 Ford sedan. In 8 years as my daily driver it covered 300,000 miles in every type of weather. It never let me down, but didn’t tolerate anyone else driving it, or even having another car worked on in the same garage. Any infraction resulted in immediate repercussions. The car made it with me through the divorce, but was tainted by the previous relationship. After leaving my new bride on the side of the road more than once, we decided it would be more fun to build something together that wasn’t so temperamental.

Over the years I'd looked at dozens of 60-66 Chevy trucks, but each was either rusty, beat up, or overpriced. As luck would have it, we spotted a tiny ad in a Penny Saver and called the owner on the first night the ad came out. It was a one family truck in remarkable condition. It was too dark and stormy to do a decent inspection, but I could tell right away it was in amazing condition. We shook hands and picked up the truck the following night. I briefly considered restoring it to dead stock since it was so original, but with a 305 V6 and SM420 it really wasn’t suited for the long distance high speed freeway cruiser I wanted, so we dove in right away turning it into a street rod.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:07 PM   #11
firenuttz
2lo4me/ntlonuf/ntfstnf

cool thread...

my story for my 62 is probably a fairly normal one, i saw an add on craigslist for a 63 gmc, the guy wanted 500 or scrap price, so we called and talked to him for a few minutes and agreed to go check it out. after what seemed like 5 hours of driving around the middle of the desert looking for the guys house we saw a slight glimmer of chrome out in the middle of nowhere. we headded out to check it and we saw a 62 chevy, we instantly thought that it wasnt the truck so we started to turn around and as we were the owner came out and said "yalls the ones that called me sometime ago bout a truck?" turns out that the original owner died and this guy got it in an estate sale, the truck was nothing near what we thought it would be but we couldnt pass up a fairly straight shortbed 2wd for $300 and onto the trailer it went, it was originally for my dad but he gave it to me the first time he hit his knee on the "knee nockers" ... had it for 4 years now, and i just got the title to it today
my panel is another story but i figure ive bored ya guys enough for one day
02 Silverado cclb duramax~ sas'd "bro" truck with more rust than imagineable...
firenuttz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #12
88fordf150

Cruising down the highway a 70mph the wife says ,I see an old short box chevy sitting back there!
Yeah, right just like all the other trucks you seen that were short box chevys that turned out to be a ford or long box, anything but a chevy short box.
This time she got it right! Sitting behind a car dealer ship, turned out to be a trade in.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:45 AM   #13
oem4me

My 66 had been sitting in a barn, essentially mothballed for the better part of four decades. It had remained totally original including paint, engine, bed, and even tires! Just 8700 unmolested miles when the original owners family listed the truck on Ebay in 2007.
There is really nothing too interesting about bidding for a truck on Ebay, unless you happen to be the one doing the bidding, with funds that were earmarked for something else, and it's a legitimate auction for an unbelievable once in a lifetime barn find time capsule. I tell ya, the ol' heart rate does pick up a bit there at the end.
Attached Images

Last edited by oem4me; 06-26-2011 at 10:19 AM.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:53 AM   #14
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Craigslist Ad:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigslisting
66 chev 3/4 ton service box. Old rail road or county rig, heavy duty stuff on it, i.e. big brakes, stout dana. Four speed. If i dont sell by next tues shes goin to the scrap yard. Clean title runs and drives. Look at the price, of course there are things wrong with it, i worked it into the dirt over the past five years. While ive owned it has made regular trips from vancouver to hillsboro airport and all over hell and back. Honestly it does not have too many of those trips left in it. So please keep the inquiries limited to serious buyer, i dont want to be barraged by a bunch of questions as to what is wrong with it. Its been a good truck despite the abuse, i know there are enthusiasts out there that could repay this truck what it deserves, i would hate to see it get crushed.
The Nice Guy who sold me the truck posted on Craigslist that he wanted $350, and if no one bought it by that coming Tuesday, he was taking it to the wrecking yard.

I called him to ask him if he was really going to take it the wrecking yard.
He said he was moving, and had no choice.
I asked him how much he thought he would get from the wrecking yard.
He said maybe $200 - $225
He then said he'd give it to me for that.

I gave the guy $250 because he brought it to my house.

Then:

Now:

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035

Last edited by LostMy65; 06-26-2011 at 12:55 AM.
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:08 AM   #15
nachodog2
Hell yeah!!!

My brother bought the truck frOm a tattoo artist up in lancaster ca. When he drove it by our house i advised him to replace all hoses on the radiator fuel pump carb belts etc. , of course he didn't listen. A couple of weeks later he and my other brothers went to a cruise night and on the way home they saw the brother with the truck take a quick turn down a small street, when they busted a u turn to see what had happened the truck was on fire said brother was in such a panic that he couldn't get his 2 year old out of the carseat. Luckily the boy was pulled out of the truck the and the fire was put out. When his girl found out what had happened she forbid him from having that demon truck anywhere near her kids or her. I got a free truck that I've carefully been going over. The cause of the fire was a cracked fuel hose going to the carb, it split and sprayed gas everywhere. I've replaced all the hoses.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-26-2011, 02:25 AM   #16
iehotrod

Oct. of last year I went to an upholstery shop two blocks from my house to get a quote on my bench seat of my 63 longbed. Seating there was a 62 chevy short bed. Looked like it been seating in the same spot for a very long time. I asked the guy if he owned it. He stated it belonged to his brother. he was very friendly and started to tell me all about it. His brother bought it many years ago from Pepsi Cola in Mexicali Mexico. He drove for a long time untill he decided to pull the drive trian and unstall a 350/350th combo. so he did and later decided to repaint the color it is now powder blue. He also had all the rubbers and seals replaced, all the chrome redone and brakes with power and installed a steal floor in the bed, which was done correctly and is only bolted down. While in the process he had a stroke and was left paralyzed and could not walk with out help. So the truck sat in the exact same spot since 1997 untill that day that I offered to buy it I didnt think it would happen since its been for so long. I offered him $3,000 thinking I was getting a really good deal. Since I had paid $1,500 for my longbed. One week later I got a call to come pick it up if I wanted it and he is redoing the seat for it and gave a new complete set of centerline wheels and tires that his brother intended to install upon completing it. Lucky for me they were up in the garage all this years.
iehotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:26 AM   #17
iehotrod

Forgot to upload a couple of pics.
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2011, 06:02 AM   #18
A.T. RockDriller

Nice truck, Hotrod.
It looks fabulous with the white walls.......
'66 GMC 4000...351C, 5&2
Old 06-26-2011, 09:01 AM   #19
geezer#99

Good story Markeb01. I've had possessed cars before. They usually self-destructed just after I sold them. They probably didn't like the new owner. LOL!!
One thing that stands out in your story about your truck.
QUOTE> " We shook hands and picked up the truck the following night."
You sure don't see that type of honesty much anymore. A hand shake always sealed the deal back then.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:48 AM   #20
66farmer

My 66 stepside has been a part of the wifes family from the start. Her dad bought it to use as the family farm truck, then my wife and her siblings all drove it to high school then the truck sat in the barn until the next generation
then back to the barn again. Well Dad has dementia know and gave the truck to me so back out of the barn she goes . Well she's in my barn know her frame and drive train all rebuilt . I upgraded her from the 6cylider 4speed to a 454 th400 gave her power streeing and disc brakes and droped her 4.5 in the front 6 in the rear . There's alot of work left to do but I will get her done. I want my father inlaw to see her again I hope he will remember her.
Attached Images

66farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #21
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

Name:  IMG_1610.jpg
Views: 1158
Size:  38.6 KB
My wife grew up in a street rod family. Always going somewhere to a cruises or car show car show.
They always had a roadster pick-up or a t-bucket or Convertible or something cool. She had a 69 Camero RS clone when we were married.
My kinda woman!
Now fast forward a few years.
So when my daughter finally had her drivers license she approached me with "Dad- I found my Dream car" and Mom and I saw it for sale on the way home from school. So we checked it out BUT you have to fix it up! WELL HECK YES !
Long story short, the truck had sat 5 years after it quit running and had to towed home. (Plugged/rusted fuel sock in the tank) tires now rotted and flat. The neighborhood boys had all grown up sitting in it probably making vroom vroom motor noises, dreaming and planning, But none of the dads would touch it. Turned out later, R-Bar had looked at it several years previous and passed due to fact he really did not need another truck at the time.

So now after a healthy resurrection and recycling project http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=365170 It is back at school with a GIRL driving it!
The boys are so jealous..............

Last edited by bubba327; 06-26-2011 at 10:27 AM. Reason: added text
bubba327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:14 AM   #22
A.T. RockDriller

Nice, Bubba.
It's a good thing the "Neighborhood Boys" didn't get stupid with any spray-paint or hand tools while they were sitting in that truck plannin' their next move ....
What a perfect dream-car.
This country needs quality leadership.......people with a clear mind....
people who drive Chevys.....
People like your Daughter.
'66 GMC 4000...351C, 5&2
Old 06-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #23
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. RockDriller View Post
Nice, Bubba.
It's a good thing the "Neighborhood Boys" didn't get stupid with any spray-paint or hand tools while they were sitting in that truck plannin' their next move ....
What a perfect dream-car.
This country needs quality leadership.......people with a clear mind....
people who drive Chevys.....
People like your Daughter.
Funny you should say that, She is Student Body President next year as Senior and was voted "Most likely to take over the Universe" in the School's yearbook
bubba327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #24
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Nice to see the truck remains in the family and appears to be in remarkable condition for having been through so many drivers and periods of idle time. That big block looks great sitting there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66farmer View Post
My 66 stepside has been a part of the wifes family from the start. Her dad bought it to use as the family farm truck, then my wife and her siblings all drove it to high school then the truck sat in the barn until the next generation
then back to the barn again. Well Dad has dementia know and gave the truck to me so back out of the barn she goes . Well she's in my barn know her frame and drive train all rebuilt . I upgraded her from the 6cylider 4speed to a 454 th400 gave her power streeing and disc brakes and droped her 4.5 in the front 6 in the rear . There's alot of work left to do but I will get her done. I want my father inlaw to see her again I hope he will remember her.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:46 AM   #25
iehotrod

Thankdriller....