The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2019, 09:18 PM   #1
CW4B

Mechanic Shop Recommendation - San Antonio TX area

Need experienced mechanic to get my 70 C20 running and to pass inspection. Recently purchased, barely running & not road worthy. Brakes, fluids, plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, belts, fuel pump and line to carb and professionally refurbished carberator. Starts and idles smoothly. Nearly stalls out upon acceleration and otherwise a slug. Need an experienced mechanic to get it running smoothly, or at least tell me what its going to take. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
CW4B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:33 AM   #2
dmjlambert

Re: Mechanic Shop Recommendation - San Antonio TX area

When you list brakes, fluids, wires, etc. is that the list of things you want the mechanic to do and those are the items that make it not road worthy?
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:21 AM   #3
kev2809
low n' slo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW4B View Post
Need experienced mechanic to get my 70 C20 running and to pass inspection. Recently purchased, barely running & not road worthy. Brakes, fluids, plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, belts, fuel pump and line to carb and professionally refurbished carberator. Starts and idles smoothly. Nearly stalls out upon acceleration and otherwise a slug. Need an experienced mechanic to get it running smoothly, or at least tell me what its going to take. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
do you have any basic car/truck knowledge? i would tackle what you can if you have tools...then take the rest up there.

brakes, fluids, plugs and wires, belts, fuel pump can all be done in the driveway.

just trying to help you not spend a fortune when you drop it off.

-_--_--_ _________
_--_-_ -/____|__|__\__
,.,,,.,.,,.,|_O _______ O_]
kev2809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:33 PM   #4
CW4B

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
When you list brakes, fluids, wires, etc. is that the list of things you want the mechanic to do and those are the items that make it not road worthy?
The list I made are the things I already did. Despite that, can’t get it running smoothly. It starts right up and purs, but when I put in drivee and oush gas peddle, it slugs along and auto trans shifts, but it surges and doesn’t go very fast.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:52 PM   #5
CW4B

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev2809 View Post
do you have any basic car/truck knowledge? i would tackle what you can if you have tools...then take the rest up there.

brakes, fluids, plugs and wires, belts, fuel pump can all be done in the driveway.

just trying to help you not spend a fortune when you drop it off.
KEV2809, I do have tools and experience as a mechanic. A career and lifetime ago and with diesel though. I did all of the work included in the list I shared, but don’t know what else to do to get it running smoothly. I do believe the transmission needs rebuilt/replaced, but thats not causing it to run poorly.

So I think I’m ready for some expert help.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:01 PM   #6
6T7 C10

I have a long time friend in New Bransfels TX who owns the Aamco service center and Robert has vast experience with cars and hot rods. Other shops that keep coming up is Cambridge and Chad Miller.
6T7 C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:20 PM   #7
dmjlambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW4B View Post
The list I made are the things I already did. Despite that, can’t get it running smoothly. It starts right up and purs, but when I put in drivee and oush gas peddle, it slugs along and auto trans shifts, but it surges and doesn’t go very fast.
Running OK but fumbling when you press the gas could indicate a bad accelerator pump, which is part of the carburetor. With the engine off, when you look down into the carburetor and work the throttle linkage you should see a squirt of gas in there.

If you don't want to get into it any more yourself without hands-on help, it looks like 6T7 C10 is suggesting a shop/person to take the truck to.

I have met people through NextDoor.com social media app, making a post to ask around who knows about old cars and does shade-tree mechanical work. I met a very friendly and knowledgeable retired GM mechanic nearby, who now bails me out of situations that I can't handle myself.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:42 AM   #8
dfwright

I recommend Woody's Garage in Universal City. Richard, the owner (Woody's son) has been in that shop since he was 9, and is almost ready to retire now. He also has a mechanic working for him, Forrest, who LOVES these trucks. I take my own truck to Richard, and his shop is the only one I'll trust with it.

They are one of the rare honest mechanic shops. Richard will take good care of you and your truck.

Deconstruction began 5/2009, mostly completed restoration, 5/2017
dfwright is offline   Reply With Quote