The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2014, 04:03 PM   #1
Horne

Zbar Help!

Hey guys. I took an I6 250 out of my 72 C10 and dropped in a SB 327 in the same mounts. I didnt move anything at all. The Z bar or clutch bellcrank that i have from the I6 is the wrong one. wont fit on my engine, it even has a COMPLETELY different mounting point. My question is can anyone point me in the right direction to either buying a whole KIT? ive been able to find the Engine block mount stud ball and i THINK i found a Z bar that would work but its not surefire. I can NOT find anything on the frame ball stud side of the house. I would appreciate all the help i can get! THANKS!!!!

My Build Thread- http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...43#post6421143
Horne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:24 PM   #2
Southcity

Re: Zbar Help!

Would be helpful to have some pics but I believe you are talking about the frame side bracket that holds the ball stud, the bracket is on the frame opposite the engine side ball stud for trucks that came with a manual transmission, here is a schematic from the LMC online catalog for clutch linkage:

https://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/full.aspx?Page=140

without that bracket you have no way to attach the frame side ball stud to hold the other side of the Z-bar. Not sure how you can remedy this unless you have good fab schools or know someone that does and perhaps you can make a bracket or cut an original one off of another frame.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:30 PM   #3
SS Tim

Since you didn't put the engine in the factory forward position it is located as a K10 SBC would be. Try looking for K10 V8 Z-bar and bracket information. IIRC there is a stud offset plate bolted to the engine. The service manual would be a good place to start.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:05 PM   #4
SS Tim

Pg 301 in the factory manual shows the general arrangements. CE trucks used a offset block plate to the rear (because the engine is forward) and KE trucks used a stud directly attached to the block. The I6 CS bracket spaces the stud off the narrower engine block.
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2014, 06:44 PM   #5
Horne

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Pg 301 in the factory manual shows the general arrangements. CE trucks used a offset block plate to the rear (because the engine is forward) and KE trucks used a stud directly attached to the block. The I6 CS bracket spaces the stud off the narrower engine block.
And since I didn't move any mounts or cross members mine would be in the K spot?

Old 03-14-2014, 07:15 PM   #6
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horne View Post
And since I didn't move any mounts or cross members mine would be in the K spot?
Thought that was clear in post #3 but yes, to the best of my knowledge. My drawings are giving slightly conflicting data but it appears that the the rear engine location is the same or within about 1/2" between "CS" and "KA" vehicles.

CS,KS and KE all have the transmission in the rear position.

The factory CE is forward about 3.8" of the CS engine location.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:44 PM   #7
Horne

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Thought that was clear in post #3 but yes, to the best of my knowledge. My drawings are giving slightly conflicting data but it appears that the the rear engine location is the same or within about 1/2" between "CS" and "KA" vehicles.

CS,KS and KE all have the transmission in the rear position.

The factory CE is forward about 3.8" of the CS engine location.
Awesome. Thanks for all the info guys. Any idea on where to get the actual z bar? I find the studs all day long.

Old 03-15-2014, 09:21 PM   #8
airdale94

Try Randy, username Teeitup.