The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 10:58 PM   #1
lofly'a

VIN numbers question ??????

Bought a 48 3100 project last December and i need info on the VIN plate data. Original VIN plate is not readable, beaten to hell and back and sandblast damage. i even took it off and tried to read it from the back with no luck. From the title what numbers should go on the new VIN tag? i got a new replacement tag with the truck but it's blank and needs to be stamped. There is a ID number and a serial number. Which one should i use on the tag?
-2003 YUKON (Wife's)
-71 gmc swb fleet (current project, gonna shave everything, bags, stuff w/ 20's, gen III powertrain)
-48 3100 SWB - 12/31/23 LONG TERM Project
Old 05-01-2024, 12:03 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: VIN numbers question ??????

They sell new plates with the printing but as long as the stamped serial number is legible that is all law enforcement cares about,

When I moved from Texas to Washington the WSP inspector took his knife and scraped about six coats of paint off the plate where the serial number is and read the stamped number and that is all that counted.

When you look at your title figure out if the vin is the engine serial number or the body tag serial number.
Info here on Engine serial numbers https://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/models/engine.htm

A few of the door post serial number aka vin tag number decoders are =

https://www.gregwapling.com/hotrod/c...l-numbers.html

This is the vehicle information kit for 1948 Trucks from the GM heritage center, it answers a lot of stock truck questions https://www.gm.com/content/dam/compa...olet-Truck.pdf

A stock 48 door post tag should be held on with two clutch head screws, do not loose those screws as you need those to be correct.

There is a guy on Ebay who will sell you the tag and stamp your serial number in it but make positive that the vin on the title is the door post number and not the engine number. Nothing is more bogus than an engine serial number stamped on a brand new shiny door post tag.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:21 AM   #3
Rickysnickers

Re: VIN numbers question ??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
They sell new plates with the printing but as long as the stamped serial number is legible that is all law enforcement cares about,

This is absolutely not true and they "care" about more than that.

There is a guy on Ebay who will sell you the tag and stamp your serial number in it but make positive that the vin on the title is the door post number and not the engine number. Nothing is more bogus than an engine serial number stamped on a brand new shiny door post tag.
The guy selling those VIN plates is doing so illegally. I am closing this thread now.
Closed Thread