The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2006, 12:23 PM   #26
ratrod67

Re: Crate 350 Pics & Update

Very Nice!!!
ratrod67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 12:40 PM   #27
Daubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by QKENUF4U
are you sure you really want your wires that loooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggg
i would never deal with that when you can get the correct wires that will work with your holders etc. plus youve spent so much time/energy on making this thing so nice/clean. get the right plug wires and finish it up the right way.
or
find a store that sells the correct ends and just cut them down yourself.
I was a little skeptical at first, but in the end I really like how they are routed. It's a clean look and the plug wires are, for the most part, out of the way and far from exhaust manifold heat.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:58 PM   #28
72CSTC5
Account Suspended

I must say that engine is looking great. It is sometimes easy to go overboard I think and then at time some people paint the engine and leave everything else crappy. Way to stay on track and see it through for a nice clean look. Take out your fender wells and paint them black and clean up the rest of the engine compartment. You will not regret it. Nice job.
72CSTC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:18 PM   #29
Daubs

The plan is to get the engine back in truck and get her running again. Then it's trips to body shops to see what they will charge for cab corners, door bottoms, floor rust. If it's too much, I'll buy my own welder and go to town.

Then the truck comes apart in many pieces and it gets the restore is needs Including new inner fenders, painted semi-gloss black!
Old 06-06-2006, 09:26 AM   #30
Daubs

Well, it is finally in the truck! But not without drama.

Spent much of Saturday and part of Sunday morning gathering final parts and stuff for the install. Dad and brother showed up for lunch on Sunday, then we started the fun process of dropping the engine in the K-20. The play-by-play:

After pulling the engine with starter on, I figured starter could stay on for install. Nope. Scraped up the newly painted starter and finally decided to pull her off for the install.

As was case with the 82 K-10 way back in college, we had trouble getting trans and engine lined up. After about 40 minutes of jacking trans, positioning engine, we finally had trans shaft and clutch lined up and close. Finally lined up all splines and she started to slide together. But she wouldn't go that last 1/2". Grrr.

Tried and tried again to slide her together. Finally pulled engine back out to check alignment. Of course Dad and brother weren't there when I bolted flywheel, clutch, pres. plate, bell housing on the engine, so they asked lots of questions about that. Dad thought we were hitting on flywheel, but that wasn't the case.

After more attempts to get her together we decided to pull engine back out and take apart bell housing / clutch. The pilot bearing was showing wear and marks where the trans shaft was banging into it...just off center. We determined that the clutch wasn't centered with pilot bearing.

Dinner break.

After dinner we start to re-install the clutch / pres. plate and I break out the torque wrench (remember, Dad and I never used torque wrench in the past...just torqued until we felt it was snug). So I check my specs and start cranking on the wrench. But dumb-butt me looked at flywheel torques, not pres. plate torque. And BAM, I break off one of the pres. plate bolts in the flywheel. It's 6:30 PM on a Sunday and we are effectively done. I send Dad and brother home and plan to hit Sears Monday morning for back-out tool, then hardware store for more bolts.

I get parts and assemble clutch with proper torques Monday afternoon. Dad and brother show up for dinner (if you feed them they will come), and we hit it again. This time the engine slides together with trans in after about 15 minutes of wrangling (we are much better this time...and everything is lined up well). So we got four bolts on trans and now start on engine mounts...here we go again. Big problem.

I purchase motor mounts from local auto parts store. They have one, but have to order another. Look exactly like originals, so I toss the old ones in trash two weeks ago. I even get new grade 8 bolts for the mounts. Driver side lines up well, but passanger side if about 1/2" too far back (engine needs to come forward).

Brother is trying to thread bold and it just won't go. I have a try and it just seems too big. On whim I try smaller bolt and that's the ticket. SUCK. Parts store snuck in a mount with different bolt size (smaller). But it's grade 8 bold and I'm tired of pulling engine, so it is staying in. Big bolt on pass side, slightly smaller on driver side.

Now we need to move engine forward to get passanger side mount in. After many attempts to pry / pull / coax it forward, we finally decide to loosen trans bolts to give us a little room. Finally, success. We start engine mount bolts, then crank down trans bolts...finishing up with engine mounts.

She's all bolted in after two days, broken pres plate bolt, some swear words, four meals and only two beers. I send Dad and brother home and tell them I'll call when I have her ready to fire up...hopefully later this week. Here is pic:

Old 06-06-2006, 10:10 AM   #31
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Glad you got it installed - looks great in there.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:18 AM   #32
Drastic Chevy

Its a good motor. I put one in my old 84 silverado. Just make sure you keep up with any water leaks in it. My brother blew both head gaskets because he didn't take care of it. But it got to live again in my new 84 silverado. I rebuilt it and it runs great again.

Owner-Heavy Metal Autoworks
Drastic Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:19 AM   #33
Ron

I installed a 285 HP crate from Salee Chev about 5 years ago into my 69 SWB. Also bought a new 4L60 at the same time. I can light them up in second gear. Get 17 MPG.

"Hooked on holiday beer"
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:02 PM   #34
Daubs

Thought you guys might like to see a pic of "Ol Blue." Dad drove her to the house on Sunday to help me.

It's a 1962 Chevy Impala that he purchased new and had delivered on his 21st birthday. It's got 327 and "three-on-the-tree", posi, no air, no PS, no PB. He said all those things took away from the power of the mighty 327.

Had it re-done in the 70's and it still looks great. I've driven this car a grand total of three times! Once around the block. One time when Mom's car had trouble and we took Ol Blue to pick it up...I coaxed her in to letting me drive it back to the house. The other time for my brother's wedding (I was best man and got to drive to reception). He drove it for my wedding.

Old 06-06-2006, 02:27 PM   #35
Ron

Very nice Impala, like the Lab also.

"Hooked on holiday beer"
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:33 PM   #36
Daubs

He's a great pooch. Turns 10 next month. Loves to hunt and is as gentle as can be around the kiddos. And only time he barks is when someone rings doorbell...and that's a good thing!. Imagine a thief looking in the window and seeing 90 lbs of yellow lab smiling back at him.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:36 PM   #37
Daubs

It is ALIVE! Pictures coming soon...
Old 06-12-2006, 12:26 AM   #38
skokie

Just curious but why do you have a center dump ramhorn on the pass side and a angle dump on the drivers side?

68 build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=223234
skokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:00 AM   #39
Daubs

Hmmm...driver side came with truck (PO installed). When I had new exhaust on, the pass side broke (it was cracked almost completely around and snapped off when they put wrench on it). I had muffler shop buy and install new one.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:19 AM   #40
truckdude239

cool work they wouldn't take that block as a core? i've returned cracked blocks to a gm dealer aslong as they are together they dont take it apart to look. keep us updated

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:42 AM   #41
Chevrolet4x4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubs
For now, I just want to get her running again and give my wife back her parking spot (oh, and prove my neighbors wrong...they don't think I will ever get it running again)
Yod did start it up dumping out the manafolds didnt you?......so that it would be known that it left the garage under its own power and was not pushed out to never run againLooks Great.
Shane

1985 K10 Silverado Vortec 406 5 speed (in body shop)
"I been drivin' this '85 pickup truck Them buddies of mine call it a bucket of rust She's a little beat up but she still runs like the wind Yeah, kinda like me I been banged and bruisedBeen around the block a time or two But I'm runnin' like new goin' places I never been
No, I ain't broke I'm just broken in"
1963 Dodge Townwagon(its amazng what 30 years and zero miles will do to a vehicle )
Member#20327
Chevrolet4x4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:17 AM   #42
Daubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet4x4s
Yod did start it up dumping out the manafolds didnt you?......so that it would be known that it left the garage under its own power and was not pushed out to never run againLooks Great.
Shane
That would have been a good idea!!! I'm thinking the glass packs did their job well...
Old 06-12-2006, 10:16 AM   #43
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

Quote:
I've driven this car a grand total of three times! Once around the block. One time when Mom's car had trouble and we took Ol Blue to pick it up...I coaxed her in to letting me drive it back to the house. The other time for my brother's wedding (I was best man and got to drive to reception). He drove it for my wedding.
I know how you feel. I have driven my Dad's '55 Chevy twice in the 36 years he has owned it.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"

Last edited by Bishops Trucks; 06-12-2006 at 10:19 AM.
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:32 PM   #44
Daubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishops Trucks
I know how you feel. I have driven my Dad's '55 Chevy twice in the 36 years he has owned it.
Me, brother and sister were talking about "Ol Blue" earlier today. I'm the lucky one I guess. My sister has never driven it. Brother drove it once as best man @ my wedding. So I really can't complain.

Brother and I used to joke that when Dad passes one of us gets Ol Blue and the other gets his Belgium Browning A-5 MAG. Brother's hoping he gets the Browning...I'm okay with that