The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2005, 08:55 AM   #51
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Keep us updated. Keepin my fingers crossed for ya!
Old 05-12-2005, 09:47 AM   #52
Bowtie67

Another little thing I used to do is if the engine has a mis and it hasnt been run that long you can find out which cylinder is missing by touching the exhaust manifold as it comes out of the head, the engine that is missing will be cooler to the touch. Also note my hands are pretty callased so unless a manifold is real hot I usually wont get burned.

The other option is to pull the plugs and check them all to see of they are firing, also make sure there are no vacuum leaks as this will also cause a skip. While the plugs are out since you have a skip it would save some time by doing a compression check on all your cylinders to make sure you dont have dead one and as well for the sake that you know that you have good compression in each cylinder.
2009 Toyota Tundra
1996 Harley RoadKing

"I maybe getting old, but I can still burn rubber with the best of them"
Bowtie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 11:37 PM   #53
R@nger
Psalm 23

Ok well I determined that its getting both spark and fuel...the problem I believe is that its getting to much fuel.

So the carb is now in many pieces. I'm going tomorrow to get some stuff to soak the parts in and possibly even some new gaskets and metering rods. The carb is a Quadrajet that I rebuilt last summer.

The other night when I took out all the plugs and cleaned them I noticed the back two plugs had gas in them, plus the carb looked like it had way to much gas sitting around when I opened the choke plate to have a look see. That would explain why it wouldn't start...to much fuel. I'm thinking that some dirt could have gotten in the carb and is blockin some stuff up, with the carb being a Quadjet I figured theres plenty of places for dirt to do that . I'm also going to replace the in carb fuel filter and epoxy the plugs as seen here(I got this site from someone here)http://www.carcraft.com/howto/57178/

I'll tell ya one thing though...as soon as I have the money I'm getting a Holley carb...this Quadjet is to "scientific" for me.

Hopefully after I've done this the truck will start right back up. If not I'm getting out the big hammer!

"Peter are you sleeping on the job? No I have a bug in my eye and I'm trying to suffocate him." - Family Guy

Last edited by R@nger; 05-13-2005 at 11:43 PM.
R@nger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 06:33 AM   #54
Bowtie67

If your plugs are extremely fouled with fuel I would replace them with some new AC's, Unless you have a good sparkplug cleaner they will probally give you more issues than not.. also pickup a compression checker since you have the plugs out & do a compression test. You probally flooded the engine with all the pumpings of fuel every time you tried starting it.
2009 Toyota Tundra
1996 Harley RoadKing

"I maybe getting old, but I can still burn rubber with the best of them"
Bowtie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 10:40 PM   #55
R@nger
Psalm 23

UPDATE: Today I completely cleaned and pretty much rebuilt my carb(I also epoxied those plugs that leak ). I also bought all new spark plugs. Stuck all the new stuff on and tried crankin up the truck...nothing. So I decided I would test every plug for spark. I took the wire off the plug held it with an insulated tool and then put it 1/4 in. away from a good ground. NOTHING, no spark at all. I then tested some other plugs...nothing. I then decided to take the distributor cap off and test the coil. The coil is dead...I will repeat that..*clears throat* the coil is DEAD. I called Summit and talked to a guy there and he said well...it can happen. He confermed that it was dead so he told me just to send this one back and they would send me a new one.

Now if any of you ever say to yourself..."man, I'm one unlucky dude." and maybe your feeling down about it,maybe you even say to yourself, "Boy o boy I'm the most unlucky person on the earth", mearly think of me, Kevin(R@nger). Think of me and realize that compared to me you are the luckiest of lucky . And my speech is done .

"Peter are you sleeping on the job? No I have a bug in my eye and I'm trying to suffocate him." - Family Guy

Last edited by R@nger; 05-15-2005 at 01:13 AM.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:17 AM   #56
pjmoreland

That's painful!
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 07:12 PM   #57
D.PASSMORE
One of the First

Thats Sweet!

Man, I was about to fly out there and help you! Its simple, Fire and Gas and it FXRTS!
D.PASSMORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 09:25 AM   #58
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Ranger, if it makes you feel any better.... My engine blew up 1 month out of warranty. There's allways someone with a worse/more expensive story.

When you did your HEI swap, you did make sure it was powered by an ignition switched source?
Old 05-16-2005, 05:04 PM   #59
R@nger
Psalm 23

Chicken first off your engine blowing...ouch that had to be painful. Any idea what caused it?

To answer your question when I got the truck someone had already done the HEI swap. The good thing is that its gets the 12V it needs and it is an ignition switched source.

Last edited by R@nger; 05-16-2005 at 05:04 PM.