The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2021, 10:04 PM   #1
Accelo

Intank fuel pump woes.

The long story short.
I just finished installing my relocated fuel tank. Lots of issues getting it installed. I rotated the tank 180 degrees to get the fuel pump outlet on the forward side of the bed cross-member. Changed the location of the fuel fill, from the Top to the Left Side. Figured out where and how to plumb the vent and fill vent.
I ended up with the tank vent inside the stake pocket. It has a transmission vent on the end of the hose. The hose clamp keeps it from dropping through the hole in the bottom of the pocket. The end product ended up looking professional. I was really happy with the install. Put power to it yesterday and I could hear the pump running but had no output.
So, I siphoned out the fuel and pulled the tank to get a look at the pump. I am using a Hyperfuel 40015 pump I purchased from Summit. I am unable to pull the pump completely from the tank with a sock on it. It didn’t surprise me. Had a hell of a time getting the sock into hole. (Note; the pump was listed as supplied with a large and small sock. Mine only had the one large sock)

I suspected the pump was running backwards. Seemed to be running without a load. I traced the polarity all the way to the pump and it looked good. If it was running backwards it had to be at the keyed plug. I couldn’t get the pins out to switch them. So, I changed the polarity at the bolted-on connections at the bottom of the pump base. Put it all back together and refilled the tank. Don’t you just love fuel running down you arm? Powered it up and it seemed to pressurize and then flipped the circuit breaker.

Doubled checked the connections at the Corvette fuel pressure regulator. Looked just like the diagram on the internet. So, I checked another and the diagram listed the ports just the opposite of the first diagram! Possibly there are two different regulators that look exactly the same? Or just idiots on the internet? So I switched the connections and got fuel at the motor. Installed the fuel rail and could hear the pressure come up and hear the fuel returning to the tank via the return port/line.

I looked up the Summit reviews for the pump. One guy says his pump was also wired backwards from the factory and he figured it out after pulling the tank the second time. I won’t call them ** ** but I want to.
Can’t believe they can’t get the polarity correct on a $225 pump. Don’t the manufactures have and decency?

Good news it I have fuel pressure and the system connected up and working. I used the computer output for the LS1 and right now the pump runs for three seconds and shuts down. A perfect world It’s not. But functional it is. Back to repining the column wires so I can install it. The oil pressure socket arrived yesterday so I can work on getting the oil pressure gauge line installed. Temperature gauge is next. After two years it is getting closer to being running driving truck.

Attached Images

Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 04:02 AM   #2
pjmoreland

Re: Intank fuel pump woes.

I sure like how that filler neck turned out.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 11:24 AM   #3
Accelo

Thanks for the fill neck compliment.
It's a Blazer fill neck I turned around.
The hose sleeve on the bottom is just to keep it from rattling in the hole in the bed.
Blazers had a gasket there, which I never considered till it was installation time.
Attached Images

Last edited by Accelo; 12-11-2021 at 11:29 AM.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 12:20 PM   #4
pjmoreland

I'd be copying you if I didn't have a stepside bed. I'm planning on just putting the filler right on the floor with a hole drilled in the wood (Boyd flange mounted filler). I'm not too excited about this approach, but at least it is simple and functional.

You must be getting close to being able to start your engine.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote