The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2012, 12:53 AM   #176
DRTYRAT30
Jesse

Re: Not Another Rebuild Thread....

Good progress man, looks like your having fun...
Posted via Mobile Device
DRTYRAT30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:14 AM   #177
McMurphy

So what else I did this weekend...

I took my mud flaps and reworked them. I know the repops are real cheap, but I wanted to see if my little mod will work well first, so I hammer and dolly worked them, and did what I did...
Guess the pics will tell the story.
Attached Images

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:45 AM   #178
57truckguy

hey sarge... guess it just better to lucky then good.. Great job on the patch pannels.. If I'd have tried that big of a panel it would have warped all over the place. LOL I can really appreciate the work you put in in smoothing out the grill.. great job.. the cab cornor lined up real nice... like I said sometimes its better to be lucky than good , nice job on the mud flaps also. ..
57truckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:16 AM   #179
C@rnut001

The mudflaps look great... keep up the work on your truck.... it helps those of us without a truck to dream as we watch you guys work on yours....
C@rnut001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #180
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTYRAT30 View Post
Good progress man, looks like your having fun...
Posted via Mobile Device
Thank you for looking DRTYRAT30 .... I cannot tell you how many times I have read through your thread on your '63. I am simply amazed at how you keep your garage so clean and the level of work you do !!! But yes, on the fun part, this truck build may well be the highlight of my tour here in Alaska.

Quote:
hey sarge... guess it just better to lucky then good.. Great job on the patch pannels.. If I'd have tried that big of a panel it would have warped all over the place. LOL I can really appreciate the work you put in in smoothing out the grill.. great job.. the cab cornor lined up real nice... like I said sometimes its better to be lucky than good , nice job on the mud flaps also. ..
Hey there 57truckguy, I am pretty sure it was Napolean who said he would rather have Generals that were lucky than good. But whatever ..... when it comes to luck I am certainly of Irish stock

Quote:
The mudflaps look great... keep up the work on your truck.... it helps those of us without a truck to dream as we watch you guys work on yours....
Thank you Owen, I know how you feel ... I am the same way when I visit the '69 GTO pages over on Performance Years. I love my '66 Tempest, but the dream car always has been a '69 Goat.

Next I think is tearing into my cab. I have some ideas and it is time to meet the mother bear in her den.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 01-07-2012, 01:38 AM   #181
57truckguy

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat.. !!!!!!
Old 01-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #182
KroAutomotiveInc

hell ya man those mud flaps look good fix and make whatever you can saving money is saving money! my sun visors took me 2 nights of work but i spend mabe 20 bucks and there way cooler then if i payed who knows how much out of lmc
KroAutomotiveInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:51 AM   #183
VeronikA

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverod View Post
Much better. And I learned a new word. Trokita, I'm suprised I did'nt alraedy know that word. Keep up the good progress.
Yes that's something what really amaze me too... I am european and brought this word here. Would never expect that lol thought you know it guys
VeronikA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:53 AM   #184
VeronikA

Great progress buddy! Keep it up! Hope you and wife are ok!
VeronikA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #185
Zane M

Keep up the good work.
Zane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #186
McMurphy

Just wrapped up 4 days of working in my garage.
On Saturday I built a welding cart out of an old shop/wet vac chassis. It works a ton better than what I did to my rolling tool box, and even has a cradle for the air tank behind it, so it is a lot more mobile than it was.

Sunday I tinkered with my guage cluster bezel. With that I am omiting all the knobs and starter and cigarette lighter; those will be relocated to other places on the dash.

When I finished that I started in on my in cab hood release.
I looked in the mods and FAQs but did not see a walk thru for any ideas for this so I sorta just winged it.

Then Monday and today I worked on my hood, seperating the lower front hood panel where the turn signal bezels mount from the rest of the hood. I did this for a couple reasons. I had a pretty gnarly dent in my hood that the dent puller was not getting to good enough to suit me, and I wanted to make a mod to the fresh air intakes/hood release holes. I plan to screen that in and make it functional for a future mod/idea.

#1 is my original guages (silver) and a spare from the boneyard (black)
#2 is cutting out the old controls holes
#3 is the patches donated from the original guage cluster bezel
#4 is after some ZipStrip and brass wire wheeling on the bench grinder. It is now ready for some filler, contour detailing and then paint.
Attached Images

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 01-11-2012, 12:05 AM   #187
McMurphy

Picture #1 is my hood release assembly.
#2 is the removal of the original hood release latch. Its rivet pin and the top plate are the piece at the top of the picture.
#3 the entire assembly disassembled.... LOL that just sounds funny to me sorry.

#4 is a 3/8 - 16 x 1/2" cap bolt that I took a 3/32 drill bit to and drilled a hole the length of the center (not so perfectly with a hand drill you guys with a drill press probably have better results) of the bolt. This will act as an adjuster for the hood release cable for when it starts to stretch, just like on a bicycle.

#5 is the backing plate that will weld onto the back side of the hood latch assembly. I drilled and tapped a 21/64" hole into it for the adjustment bolt to screw into, the 3/8 -16 nut will act as a lock for the bolt, along with a lockwasher.
This photo also shows the maximum travel distance required to release the hood, approximately 1/4" of travel.
Attached Images

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 01-11-2012, 12:23 AM   #188
McMurphy

#1 is the mock up of the assembly with the release cable.

#2 I drilled a 3/32" hole in the top arm of the hood catch/release pendulum for the cable to attach to, and release the hood. Hopefully my 8th grade physics schooling is still working for me and there will be enough leverage here to allow this to function.

#3 is the HELP! cable I used Part#55195 that is 12 feet long, if that turns out to be too long, I will cut to lenght and hopefully remember to come back here and edit this post with a more useful measurement. I also have the cable stops Part#03338 but have not decided how to use these just yet. More to follow on this.

#4 is my adjustment bolt and backing plate. I cut 2 grooves in the plate to assist in mounting it, and hopefully disallow any torqueing of the assembly.

#5 is a spring tension adjustment I am toying with, in this picture I used a bit of coat hanger, but in reality I would probably use a large cotter pin. It seems the tension on the hood latch spring is stronger than it needs to be. Just easing the tension the amount shown in the pic made the tension on the latch pendulum lesser enough for me to actuate it with my thumbs, and not have to use a lever (screw driver ....)
Since I am not sure just how much of this tension is required to keep the hood secured this is not a set part of this modification.

I urge anyone doing this mod to proceed with caution and do not omit the secondary safety hood catch.
I had a truck hood come up at me at 55mph one day.
It is definately one of lifes bigger scrotum checks !!
Attached Images

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Last edited by McMurphy; 01-11-2012 at 12:25 AM. Reason: parts numbers
Old 01-11-2012, 01:31 AM   #189
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Nice work on the gauge bezel and I never would have thought of the hood release. How much pull does it take to pull the latch? I was thinking a solenoid might work depending on the pull rating.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:05 AM   #190
57truckguy

You know they make a solenoid called a trunk release solenoid that is really strong. I use them on the orginal set up to open the orginal latches on my 57's doors before changing over to the bear claw latches.. Only has about 3/8 of an inch of pull though if I remember right, been about 10 years since I made the change. LOL
Old 01-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #191
joe231

Nice work!!
I was in Fairbanks last week, I wish I would have looked you up.
Oh well, there's always next time

Keep up the good work!

I'm waiting for spring, we have gotten 6 plus feet of snow and I don't have any shelter to "do work" lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #192
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan's Classic View Post
Nice work on the gauge bezel and I never would have thought of the hood release. How much pull does it take to pull the latch? I was thinking a solenoid might work depending on the pull rating.
My hood is currently in pieces, I ran out of steam posting pics last night Alan sorry. As for the pull pressure needed to pop the hood I cannot say yet at this time. Without the tension pressure of being latched against the male post, and of course the bends in the cable from the hood latch assembly to where it will be mounted in the cab will all factor in (if those 8th grade science classes are keeping me in line... LOL). Thanks for looking at the guage bezel too. I plan on filling the edges with bondo, skimming the top, then when it is fully dried, using my Dremmel to reshape the channels. Kind of tedious detail work, but what the hey, keeps me from playing in traffic !!

Quote:
You know they make a solenoid called a trunk release solenoid that is really strong. I use them on the orginal set up to open the orginal latches on my 57's doors before changing over to the bear claw latches.. Only has about 3/8 of an inch of pull though if I remember right, been about 10 years since I made the change.
No sir, I did not know that.
Like I said, I looked for a mod thread for this and not finding one decided to wing it in a traditional Irish fashion !! Besides that, a solinoid would need wiring and I am going to have my hands full with doing my hideaway headlights as it is. I am no Jeeenuss after all !!

Quote:
Nice work!!
I was in Fairbanks last week, I wish I would have looked you up.
Oh well, there's always next time

Keep up the good work!

I'm waiting for spring, we have gotten 6 plus feet of snow and I don't have any shelter to "do work" lol
Posted via Mobile Device
I would have liked that too! Shoot me a PM next time you are a day or two out, and I will toss you my phone number so we can make that happen! Thanks for taking a look at my build.... it is a ton of fun.

I will post more pics of what my hood is starting to look like, and my delivery from the UPS gal last night!! Glad I have a 4 day weekend next....gots lots to do !

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 01-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #193
chad64chevy

truck parts are looking good, keep the pictures coming! i like the hood mod. your doing, i've thought about that awhile ago but i couldn't figure out how i would make it work without breaking something! how are you planning on doing the headlights?
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #194
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad64chevy View Post
truck parts are looking good, keep the pictures coming! i like the hood mod. your doing, i've thought about that awhile ago but i couldn't figure out how i would make it work without breaking something! how are you planning on doing the headlights?
I was looking at the '69 Ralley Camaro electric actuator motors and relay for the head lights.
I also looked up the premier metal fabricating business here in Fairbanks to make the front grill for me today. I will be going by there sometime in the next few weeks with some drawn out plans and ideas and see what they can do for me.

As for the hood release, I also want to mock up a back up for the hood release cable. One that I can get to in the case that the cable breaks on me!

Thanks for looking Chad!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 01-11-2012, 11:26 PM   #195
McMurphy

Ok.... about the hood....
What I thought was going to be a cool little project, turned into a real task.
Simple plan, seperate the turn signal panel from the rest of the hood; modify that panel and gain access to the front p-side corner of the hood to fix a mean dent.
Well getting that darned panel off was a heck of a job.
I have detailed photos if anyone is thinking of attempting this that show all the upper and lower spot welds you will have to contend with, and will gladly share in how I did it.

After that though it was smooth sailing and I am very happy with what turned out.

#1 is the area of the hood under consideration, specifically.

#2 ok the seam sealer was cool, putty blade was helpful in getting that out, but spot welds in there? How did that happen?

#3 much patience, and not too much damage or anger control later and they are finally apart! Yay team !!

#4 the cut center, and a test fabrication in the turn signal well for what I have in mind. Someone on this board in their sig has a quote about making a part knowing that if you goof it up, the next attempt will be better.... well this first attempt will lead to an improved actualization of what I have in mind. I plan on covering the turn signals and "grill"-ing in that center. More on that later as I either find more of the square grill-mesh-screen I already used, or I find something I like better.
I am hoping to find something I like better... this first one looks too swamprat/mudder motif for me. I am looking for more of a sports car air intake sort of look.

#5 Yay... Miss UPS driver found my house finally with the patch parts! No shortage of stuff to do this weekend after all !!
Attached Images

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 01-11-2012, 11:37 PM   #196
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

How many blades did you break on the spotweld cutter? I liked the hood latch idea, too. I was thinking at 12' you could probably open the hood from the tailgate area or thereabouts.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:01 AM   #197
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by protrash64 View Post
How many blades did you break on the spotweld cutter? I liked the hood latch idea, too. I was thinking at 12' you could probably open the hood from the tailgate area or thereabouts.
I didnt break any, but the first side is getting dull though.
We have a contract at work for sharpening and repairing surgical instruments, I will talk to the guy and see if he can resharpen it for me. Yeah 12' seems excessive, but I was at the parts store, saw it, and grabbed it knowing that too much is an easier fix than not enough....

In case Veronika pops back over here is an artistic rendition of the company logo I had while I was out of the Army in the mid '90s. The company was Photography, Art, and Graphic Design, and the name and logo was "Black Griffon Graphics ~----~ Create Your Own Reality"
Attached Images

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 01-13-2012, 12:08 AM   #198
C@rnut001

You drew that version...correct? It is really cool. Thanks for sharing about your hood...sounds like it was a ton of work, but you will get it like you want it in the end. Keep up the great job and thanks for posting and sharing pics/stories of your progress.
C@rnut001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:38 AM   #199
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Looks like someone is going to have fun with patch panels.
Posted via Mobile Device
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #200
flips72

looking good, really like the hood latch deal, thats sweet. cant wait to see the patch panels installed, your making great progress.
flips72 is offline   Reply With Quote