The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2022, 06:10 PM   #1
Navistarpower

71 k10 questions

I bought a new wiring harness from lmc truck. I bought both for under the hood. My question is on the lighting side of it. There is a black wire that has 2 small fuses in it. What does this connect to? Is it a hot or ground wire?
Navistarpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 07:05 PM   #2
pjmoreland

Re: 71 k10 questions

Welcome! The fuses are likely for the "BATTERY" ammeter gauge, as can be seen in post #7 by VetteVet in this thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=673925
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 07:13 PM   #3
Navistarpower

Thank you for the help.
Old 03-30-2022, 07:15 PM   #4
Navistarpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
Welcome! The fuses are likely for the "BATTERY" ammeter gauge, as can be seen in post #7 by VetteVet in this thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=673925
I tried searching but couldn't find what I was needing. Thank you. I'll figure this site out eventually.
Old 03-30-2022, 07:19 PM   #5
pjmoreland

It can be a bit of a challenge to do a search if you don't know what you're searching for! Anyway, I usually just use Google to search this website by putting 67-72chevytrucks.com in the search box along with whatever thing I'm looking for. By the way, schematics are available for download here:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=185856
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 01:15 AM   #6
Accelo

There is a black wire that has 2 small fuses in it. What does this connect to? Is it a hot or ground wire?
Interesting enough both sides of the amp gauge are (hot) and fused.
One fuse comes out of the harness and returnees to the same taped section of wiring.
This is on the drivers side and close to the fender to core support attachment point. Likely you need to do nothing there besides confirm the fuse is installed.

The second fuse is also completely sealed and one end terminates at the black connector on the inner fender next to the battery.
This connection must be perfectly clean for the amp gauge to work.

You can test the function of the gauge by turning on the high beams, without starting the motor, and watch for negative needle deflection.
The first time I trouble shot this circuit it took me hours to identity the fuse function and location.
Very few truck have a functional amp gauge because of the shunt system GM used at the time is so dependent on perfect connections.
It isn't an accident they(GM) went to volt gauges in later years.
Cheers.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 10:06 AM   #7
Navistarpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
There is a black wire that has 2 small fuses in it. What does this connect to? Is it a hot or ground wire?
Interesting enough both sides of the amp gauge are (hot) and fused.
One fuse comes out of the harness and returnees to the same taped section of wiring.
This is on the drivers side and close to the fender to core support attachment point. Likely you need to do nothing there besides confirm the fuse is installed.

The second fuse is also completely sealed and one end terminates at the black connector on the inner fender next to the battery.
This connection must be perfectly clean for the amp gauge to work.

You can test the function of the gauge by turning on the high beams, without starting the motor, and watch for negative needle deflection.
The first time I trouble shot this circuit it took me hours to identity the fuse function and location.
Very few truck have a functional amp gauge because of the shunt system GM used at the time is so dependent on perfect connections.
It isn't an accident they(GM) went to volt gauges in later years.
Cheers.
My truck has a volt guage, so I probably won't use that? The connector on the fender by the battery isn't there.
Old 03-31-2022, 11:47 AM   #8
Accelo

You can use one side of the amp gauge circuit to get the voltage reading. Just add a ground to the other terminal. However, many conversions just pull the positive from the Temp gauge next to it.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 12:20 PM   #9
Navistarpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
You can use one side of the amp gauge circuit to get the voltage reading. Just add a ground to the other terminal. However, many conversions just pull the positive from the Temp gauge next to it.
Thank you.