The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2015, 03:28 AM   #1
Chrispbrown36

A bit off topic here..

I know this isn't necessarily fitting for this section and if need be then feel free to move it.
After looking through all the camping thread and seeing all the mountain state guys posting up I thought I would ask here. I am being considered for a job in Hungry Horse, Montana and was wondering if anyone on here has any opinions on the area. I have read all kinds of things about the area and based on that it isn't looking like a good move for us, but the money will be good and the experience will open up options in the future so I am afraid to pass on it if I am offered the job.
From what I can tell the area suffers the same fate as other touristy areas....high cost of living, depressed economy (outside of the tourist based places and the season) and a mistrust of outsiders (other than those that come for a few days every summer and bring money of course). The depressed economy will not be an issue because we won't be moving there unless I have the job, but the cost of living and the trust issues certainly are.
Now, I haven't had any personal experience in the area.....I just can't see making a trip until I know for sure if the job is going to be offered. But I would like to have a pretty good idea if heading there is an option before the job is offered. So, can anyone give me a little insight? After all, if you can't trust a man that owns a square...who can ya trust?!
Chrispbrown36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:50 AM   #2
Daman

Re: A bit off topic here..

Oh the Flathead Valley. Beautiful. Lots of Californians/Coloradoans/movie stars driving prices.

We usually wing a Coloradoan and use him for bait until the Californians come in to help him then we just shoot them all.........LMAO

You should be fine up there because all are outsiders already....HAHAHA

Seriously now, you already hit the nail on the head depressed economy (outside of the tourist based places and the season)
Daman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:37 PM   #3
snj8198

Hi Chris,

Congratulations on your new job prospect! I see you have formulated some thoughts and ideas of the Flathead Valley. I must say you nailed it well! I know Flathead Valley and Hungry Horse "the canyon" area decently. I have lived in Kalispell since graduating from high school in Libby 80 miles west of Flathead Valley in the mid nineties. It is a beautiful area but as you know, anything worth having is worth someone else wanting it.

There are a lot of considerations to cover for one considering moving to this area. Income you would have covered obviously. The cost of living is quite high here in relation to the house hold mean income. Rent is very high, supply is low, demand is high, so naturally it is a nightmare to find reasonable rentals. In Kalispell, Whitefish, and Columbia Falls, a typical 1,000 sqft house will be $8-900/month. Adding a garage, yard, land, etc will jump the price quickly. Typically, I see 3 bed 2 bath homes for rent starting at $1,500 and up. Although, rent in the Canyon is usually a little better, but not by much.

Purchasing is going to be the same issue. Anything of value is going to be high. Flat level ground in the valley commands a high price; developed or not. Mountain land, even if it isn't worth value, is marketed conversely as being "the get away cabin" or "off grid" and priced high also for the privacy. I just looked at 10 acres of north facing rocky slope that literally only had just over an acre that could be leveled enough for a build site and it was going for over $110k! No water, not perk tested yet, no sun, very rocky, questionable area to carve a driveway and 1 build site. Down on the valley floor I just passed a newly built 1,900 sqft split level home, 3 bed 2 bath, full basement, attached 2 stall garage, 3/4 acre lot with fresh sod and short gravel drive; $289k. Atleast you get sunshine and you'll pay for it. Lastly, 1.5 acre undeveloped hill top unit that was logged and has a view of Flathead Lake over 2 miles away; $45K.

MT has no sales tax, the income tax is a variable depending on income, and ranges between 1% @ $2,800, up to 6.9% for over $17k or so.

Through the late 90's and 1000's, Flathead has consistently been the top growing county in the state, but as Daman stated, it's comprised a lot of outside money. It leveled off when the housing market crashed in '08, but it's starting to pick up a bit again, albeit, not very fast or strong.

Daman will get a kick out of this statement: Flathead has a bad reputation in the state. There is a major disconnect between MT people east of the divide vs west of the divide. They seem to be as different in culture and character as California is to Montana. But Flatheaders are disliked the most. Roll into an eastern town with 7 plates and you can feel the dirty looks swarm you. Anytime I was logging in an east of divide town the locals loved us, were warm, courteous, curious, and glad to see another MT face. But as soon as they found out were from Flathead the mood changed. Personally I think it's outsiders who move into the Flathead and use the rest of the state to kick up their heels and create a bad rep for the local indigenous community.

So far I have been giving you big picture information of the general area, but I can supply more micro info as well if you had questions about more specific areas you were potentially interested in knowing more about. If you would like I could gather up the local area papers, property sales magazines and classified ads for you to browse through and get a better idea of what you are looking at. PM me your address if you are interested. Furthermore, if you were interested in making a trip/flight out here swing by. I'd stuff you full of trout, elk bbq, and craft beers!

Steve

Last edited by snj8198; 07-12-2015 at 12:50 PM.
snj8198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:50 PM   #4
Chrispbrown36

Daman, I have read plenty about the area's dislike of Californians....but then again I am in Kentucky now and can't say they get much respect here either.
Snj8198, that is by far the most detailed explanation of the area that I have seen anywhere. A friend that lives in Bozeman suggested looking outside of the Flathead toward the east and commuting to work. Commuting an hour plus every day throughout the winter doesn't sound like a lot of fun to me, but it might be the best option.
We currently live in an area that is not friendly to those not born here, so I have some experience in it already. You can usually find a few people that are willing to give a new person a chance. I have noticed that if you head south of Kalispell the prices on houses drops considerably, so that might be a place to start.
I am hoping that this week I will hear something one way or another on the job...fingers crossed.
Chrispbrown36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:44 AM   #5
snj8198

Quote:
Snj8198, that is by far the most detailed explanation of the area that I have seen anywhere.
Eh, if the coffee was better this morning it woulda been longer.

Quote:
commuting to work
does not work here. Montana weather turns on a dime especially pressed up against the divide mountains here. Remember, Hungry Horse doesn't offer a lot to the high way department on a state/fed high way that isn't used much during the non busy season.

Quote:
I have noticed that if you head south of Kalispell the prices on houses drops considerably, so that might be a place to start.
Yes and no. South towards the north end of the Flathead Lake has been offering cheaper...ish land cuz it is flood land for the lake overflow. Cheap property, but pricey insurance, which has been dropped by fed assistance. Anything further south is down on hywy 93 which drops down on price thanks to being rez land but even that is expensive cuz it's along the lake. If you can see the blue it costs you green. Regardless, that's a long commute to The Canyon when you cant rely on weather.