The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-25-2002, 03:11 AM   #1
RainDog

Post Need your help please!!!! Truck crisis!!! lol

Hey guys, I'll apologize in advance for the really long post, but I REALLY need your help with a decision.....
I have a chance to buy back a 1972 C20 custom camper that was the very first vehicle I ever bought, so of course I had a strong emotional attachment to it. I wasn't looking for a 67-72, I just wanted an old cheap pickup, and it was that truck that introduced me to this obsession When the previous owner was telling me about the truck ("California truck its whole life, not ONE bit of rust ANYWHERE," "COMPLETELY stock and original under the hood, down to the air filter and alternator," "103,000 original miles," etc.), I didn't understand just how valuable a find that was with these trucks.
So, I sold it a few months later. Well, it was AFTER I sold it that I really started getting into the hobby, but decided I'd have to put off owning another truck until I was finished with college. But now I have a chance to buy it back for $100, complete and running, and I have my dad's okay to park it in the driveway and use the garage for storage if I want to restore it.
So...I need some realistic advice on undertaking this project. It would be a dream come true, but I can't afford to get in way over my head. It would become a real sore spot between my dad and I really quick. I would do all the sanding by hand, a friend of mine will do the engine rebuild and the painting, so cost would be all parts. All body pieces (except cab, hood, doors, and bedsides) would have to be replaced. I'm not planning on anywhere near show-quality restoration, and will be working by myself. It seems straightforward enough, but I've never done ANY kind of restoration work before. So I'd like some advice from you guys, what can I expect? Should I take the plunge?

Again, sorry about the length of the post, and thanks,

RainDog

PS: Any good books on the subject a beginner could use???