The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2017, 06:51 PM   #1
Bobzilla75

Long time lurker, first time poster

Hey all, I'm Bob and I'm an al.... wait, wrong meeting. Anyway, back to the truck world again. Just did a Fly-n-Drive to the inlaws place in Tucson tp bring home a 1978 C10 stepside 4-spd back to Indiana where 73-87 trucks have all returned back to their elemental state. Had a great trip, learned it's a posi 4.10 to go with the SM465 trans, so high speeds aren't exactly a thing.

Since I'm an auto-x'er, this thing will learn to take corners, go and stop. The Go is pretty decent, the 350 has been worked over a little, has a1406 carb, Weiand intake and duals. Roasts the 31x10.50 rear tires pretty easily.

Here she is when I picked Dad up at the airport the night before we headed home:

So, I'm trying to find some wheels, as the fat and skinny's just don't work for me. I'm thinking something 18x9-ish but I haven't done any measuring. I'm sure the answer is hidden here somewhere on what the max front width will be. Obviously the rear can handle it as it's wearing some 15x10 already.

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions in the months and years to come!

Moar pictures because moar is always betterer.

Bobzilla75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:42 AM   #2
El Dorado Jim

Re: Long time lurker, first time poster

welcome and nice truck!
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:10 AM   #3
Lokin4AReason

welcome to the show ....
Old 03-26-2017, 08:03 PM   #4
Bobzilla75

So a few things happening today. After putting in 5 hours of OT from home I finally played the car shuffle and got the truck over to the side that stuff gets worked on. Basically did an in depth inventory of what I have and what I need. Actually..... let me back this up.

Yesterday I drug the wife to the pull a part that had 5 93-97 camaros in stock. The last car we found was a rear disc car. So I pulled the rear calipers, lines, hoses and ebrake cables. All told $40. Bad part is these will have to be cores because they're not complete. But cores are $45 each, and with the extra lines hoses and cables in coming way out ahead.

So today while working I found a new pair of Impala SS rear rotors for $41 shipped and ordered them as well. All I bAd now are the pads, working calipers and the magic brackets ($120) to make this all work.

So, back to today. Jacked it up, yanked the wheels and went over it to see what is truly needed. The bad: every bushing is shot (not surprisingly it's 40 friggin years old). Shocks are done. Front could that were cut almost fall out when the suspension is unloaded and the wiring under the dash made me pull the battery cables loose. The front wheels are 15x7 with 4" of backspace and 215/70/15 dry rotted Goodyear Integrity from 2006. Rear wheels are 15x10 with 4" of back spacing and Big O all terrains in 31x10.50. Also from 2006

The good: there's a new billet HEI distributor in there. The front will easily hold a 9" wheel with 5" bs and a 10 will fit with a little more. Ball joints are solid, steering is as well. Tie rods, pit an arm etc are all tight. Brand new rotors, bearings and pads up front. Rear drums are almost new but the leaking rear wheel cylinders have coated the thick shoes. Not a concern as I'm moving to rear disc anyway. Also there is a 2" shackle back there with greasable bushings. They're dry rotted but greasable!

So I've got a list going if needed parts. The list isn't as bad as I initially thought thankfully. Just. Red to make some money to buy it all!
Bobzilla75 is offline   Reply With Quote