The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2017, 01:41 PM   #1
Jaysonb

Sunroof removal questions

77 k10 with a sunroof that needs to be removed. The truck is nice, what I'm thinking is, remove the sunroof, put a flange around the opening, and then panel bond in a patch. I want to avoid welding if I can, I know the roof will warp pretty easy. I have a shrinker stretcher set that I can use if I have to put a small crown in the patch to match the crown of the roof. But it's pretty flat where the sunroof is. Does this sound like a good plan??? Any help would be great! Thanks.
Attached Images

Jaysonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:11 PM   #2
MARTINSR

Re: Sunroof removal questions

I have to say, I don't believe I would think more than four and a half seconds before I accepted the fact that I needed to replace the whole roof panel.

That aside, we are all different and our expectations are different. If a little wave is ok, if a little ghost line is ok, then bonding would be the "bestest" way to do it. Not the best mind you, but the bestest, and it could be a very good way.

The crown matching would be the most important part, and the crown of just about any roof would be pretty close. So getting a piece of another roof would be what I suggest. That is NOT flat, it's got a crown, make a close template of the roof out of a piece of cardboard or something and then take that template to your nearest wrecking yard and find a cheap roof to get. You want it to be the same or very close in thickness too of course. Get a sheetmetal gauge and bring that with you.

Remove the sun roof, make a pattern with a piece of poster board around the hole. If it's cut poorly trim it nice before you do this. You can cut a little eighth inch off easy with a pair of offset tin snips to make a nice straight line. Round the corners nice, the larger rounded corner the less chance of cracking later, square corners are OUT don't even think of it.

Cut out a piece from the center of the roof you got at the wreckers leaving it about a half inch bigger than the hole. Get a flanging tool and step it all the way around.

http://www.eastwood.com/panel-flange...nd-x-wide.html

Grind both the underside of the lip on the roof and the top of the flanged area and bond that baby in with some panel adhesive. http://3mcollision.com/3m-panel-bond...ive-08116.html

You will want to put a coat of epoxy primer over the whole thing, then bondo, trying to bury that glue line as it WILL be seen through the paint if you don't.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:27 PM   #3
Jaysonb

Thanks for the reply. I built this truck for a winter beater, and it turned out a little to nice for winter beater status, so a guy I know bought it, and wants the sunroof gone. I'm doing a full roof replacement on a 73 c10 for the same guy right now. I told him that would be the best way to fix it "right", but he's looking for a cheaper option. I have never used panel bond on anything, if it's under a skim of filler I won't have any ghost line problems? If it's easier I can tig a panel in, but I thought it would save time using the panel bond, not having to pull the interior. Paint and body work has been a serious hobby of mine for 15 years, I just don't have any experience with panel bond.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:11 PM   #4
MARTINSR

I have to tell you, the stuff is pretty fascinating how well it holds that metal together. Let me put it this way, BMW has in their guidelines fore replacing a frame horn in their 7 series to bond into the frame a repair piece, we are talking not a single weld, and this is the FRAME of the car, so it's pretty impressive.

If it's under bondo it's not going to ghost line. But on the same note, so what if it does? It's on the roof, to get right at the perfect angle to see that ghost line isn't going to be very easy. It's such an easy can cheap fix, go for it, if he isn't happy down the road he can pull all the interior and windows out and weld in a new roof skin.

Brian

Old 03-26-2017, 09:25 PM   #5
Jaysonb

Thank you Sir, I'll give it a shot. I'm sure once I have the auto mix gun I'll find other uses for it.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:51 PM   #6
MARTINSR

Some auto body supply stores will loan them to you.

Brian

Old 03-26-2017, 11:35 PM   #7
Foot Stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I have to tell you, the stuff is pretty fascinating how well it holds that metal together. Let me put it this way, BMW has in their guidelines fore replacing a frame horn in their 7 series to bond into the frame a repair piece, we are talking not a single weld, and this is the FRAME of the car, so it's pretty impressive.

If it's under bondo it's not going to ghost line. But on the same note, so what if it does? It's on the roof, to get right at the perfect angle to see that ghost line isn't going to be very easy. It's such an easy can cheap fix, go for it, if he isn't happy down the road he can pull all the interior and windows out and weld in a new roof skin.

Brian
I for one couldn't agree more. The adhesives available these days are mind blowing for sure!

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:51 PM   #8
Jaysonb

When I checked the system out on 3m's site, I noticed they had a variety of products that can be used with the gun, I'll have to look through the list again and see if there is anything else I might use.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:07 AM   #9
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Stomper View Post
I for one couldn't agree more. The adhesives available these days are mind blowing for sure!
You may get a kick out of my son's science project from a number of years ago.
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/weld...ct-116090.html

And a follow up..

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/foll...vs-145782.html

Brian

Old 03-28-2017, 05:20 PM   #10
Daubs

I used Lord Fusor to bond in patches in my 2500HD wheel wells (last summer). Loved working with it! Check my page for a link to the thread.