The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2017, 06:05 PM   #1
rowleybd

attempting to rebuild heating system in my 69

so this is my first project truck and have gotten really frustrated with what I thought was a simple project. My heater core was leaking, so I ordered everything to rebuild the system....heater core, fan, motor, heater box, rebuild kit for control levers, cables ducts etc.

My frustration is that what I thought would be easily replaced parts don't fit very well. The control cable that goes through the firewall keeps coming off which is inside the heater box and not easy to attach. The defrost/ heater levers do not adjust very well. I found a thread showing which cables go where which was helpful because I did not photograph it before I took it apart. This is a no AC system. I want to make sure that I have the cables routed the right way.

Any help is appreciated!
rowleybd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:11 PM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: attempting to rebuild heating system in my 69

You have to adjust the cables even after you install it. They are not perfect fit. You have to roll the cable sleeve and the bolt attachment to make them work correctly. It may take several tries to get them right.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:37 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: attempting to rebuild heating system in my 69

-
Here are a couple of pictures. The top one goes to the front control arm, the middle one goes behind the heater box and to the bottom, and the bottom one goes around the heater box and into the heater box by the firewall. All of the levers and cables should have keepers that push on the control levers to hold the cables on. The last picture shows one of the small round spring clips/keepers on the end of the lever. There isn't a keeper on the cable in the second picture but there should be.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 03-25-2017 at 08:43 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:58 PM   #4
rowleybd

Thanks for the info! Am I expecting too much out of this lever system? I believe the cables are in the correct locations (thanks for the pics!) With all new parts, I thought it would be smoother and easier to adjust. I have the hood off, inner fender down and don't want to put it all together to just take it back apart but I guess that is how you learn, right?

Any idea where to get the push washers that hold the cables on? I have them on the controller arms, but I think I need them also for the other ends...

Thanks,
rowleybd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:31 AM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowleybd View Post
Thanks for the info! Am I expecting too much out of this lever system? I believe the cables are in the correct locations (thanks for the pics!) With all new parts, I thought it would be smoother and easier to adjust. I have the hood off, inner fender down and don't want to put it all together to just take it back apart but I guess that is how you learn, right?

Any idea where to get the push washers that hold the cables on? I have them on the controller arms, but I think I need them also for the other ends...

Thanks,
Take one off and you should find them at Lowes are ACE hardware stores.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:35 AM   #6
hamjet

I was searching for the push on clips at Lowes and they did not have them, maybe at your location they will.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:05 PM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

At Lowes look in the draw's in the hardware area. Specialty area where all the nuts and bolts are. I have found them there before.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club