The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2017, 06:55 PM   #801
UKNOWME

Re: 75 Dually build

What are your plans for door jambs and engine bay?
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
UKNOWME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:50 PM   #802
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKNOWME View Post
What are your plans for door jambs and engine bay?
As far as the door jambs, they are actually done in the same blue as the exterior. I've never taken a picture of them, because well, their door jambs...

The engine bay is another deal all unto itself. First I need to do inner fenders, and that will be a upcoming project I will post. As far as making the inner engine bay spiffy any time soon, I doubt it. With that lump of a 454, it's really hard to make those TBI setups look cool. Have any ideas on what I could do, the budget is rather tight this year, but if some good ideas came my way I would entertain them.
75Dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:08 PM   #803
75Dually

Special note: "This is my rant section, and has nothing to do with my build blog." As others are reading this just know that I am not the type of guy who likes to park my ride at a show, grab my fold up chair, and plop down in a black parking lot and cook all day with hundreds of guys coming by and picking apart my vehicles. I really like to take my vehicles on adventures.

To give you an idea... This year's desire is to go to Dino's show in Phoenix and then spend some time seeing friends and family in the Tucson area. I like to take my rides out and drive them. I try to make them as reliable as possible, so that I can run them down as much black top as possible. If going to shows is your thing, fine. I like shows, don't get me wrong, but a vehicle is made for a purpose and I think they should be used as often as possible.

When the very first Power Tour was run I was there to meet the 12 cars that did that trek across this great country of ours. I was in the shop right after that and built a car to go run with those early tours. They were amazing fun trips. We did more in that week trekking across the US than most car guys do in a life time. However those Power Tour events are now uber boring. Sorry if you like them, again that's fine, but if you were around when they first were charging down the road verses today you would understand why I said that. We did not have GPS, and we (the Power Tour folks) actually got kicked out of venues because the locals were getting too rowdy, AKA Chicago 1997! Now that was a great time trust me! Then there was the time we arrived at the final stop at Mt. Clemons, MI. All the local guys parked in the tour spots and placed barricades on all the streets! So we threw all the barricades out of the way and just jammed the entire street with every car on the tour until no one could move until we left. They did this to us not once but two times over the years!! I could fill page after page with the stuff we did...

So if you are reading this, I want you to think of a great show or a destination this year. If you want to go to Dino's show with me perfect. Get your truck ready, and then come back to me and let me know... I'm serious. I might have to pick out a central spot where we can all meet, haul ourselves there, check out the sights, eat some good meals, and then blast back home. We also need to come up with a name for this... Alright you have you're assignments! GO!!

Last edited by 75Dually; 03-26-2017 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:09 PM   #804
UKNOWME

Were the jambs a big pain? I'm seriously considering wrapping my 97 rcsb but I'm thinking I would just do the jambs and engine bay black paint.
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Last edited by UKNOWME; 03-26-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:26 PM   #805
75Dually

Quote:
Where the jambs a big pain? I'm seriously considering wrapping my 97 rcsb but I'm thinking I would just do the jambs and engine bay black paint.
The jambs were not hard in all truth, they just take a while to do so you have to be patient. Don't do them in black and call it good, trust me it will look odd, and your going to eventually wish you had taken the time and done them right.

My jambs BTW are not 100% done. I still have some small details to finish up, but that's the great thing about wrap I have found. You can put it down and do it when you want to, and not when the material says you have to like paint.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:30 PM   #806
smbrouss70

I have the same feelings as you about car shows. I ran the long haul on the Power Tour in 2015, it was a bucket list thing and the first time I had a vehicle to do it in reliably. I'm glad I did it, but probably won't do another long haul. We have been going to Cruisin' the Coast in Mississippi for the last 10 years, there are no trophy's, just cruising up and down the beach highway that stretches 33 miles from one end to the other. It has gotten really big and the traffic gets pretty bad for the last weekend, but if you go down on the first Sunday and stay til about Thursday, you can still get around. I'll be there every year until it gets so crowded that I can't cruise at all anymore. https://cruisinthecoast.com/

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:39 PM   #807
Beer can

I really love your truck and think it would be way cool to roll to Dino's! Post your plan here I'll meet ya there.
Beer can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:43 PM   #808
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrouss70 View Post
I have the same feelings as you about car shows. I ran the long haul on the Power Tour in 2015, it was a bucket list thing and the first time I had a vehicle to do it in reliably. I'm glad I did it, but probably won't do another long haul. We have been going to Cruisin' the Coast in Mississippi for the last 10 years, there are no trophy's, just cruising up and down the beach highway that stretches 33 miles from one end to the other. It has gotten really big and the traffic gets pretty bad for the last weekend, but if you go down on the first Sunday and stay til about Thursday, you can still get around. I'll be there every year until it gets so crowded that I can't cruise at all anymore. https://cruisinthecoast.com/
I'm really glad you got became a long hauler! All you get is a sticker and a sore tushy!! I'm a multi time long hauler, and I have the credit card wounds to prove it!

I've had friends go to that show, they said is was a blast. Might have to check that out!

For those of you who don't know what we are talking about go up a couple of posts and see my rant...

Last edited by 75Dually; 03-26-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:05 PM   #809
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer can View Post
I really love your truck and think it would be way cool to roll to Dino's! Post your plan here I'll meet ya there.
Thanks mucho! Yeah when he get's the dates announced we will have to get it all figured out.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:40 PM   #810
UKNOWME

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Dually View Post
The jambs were not hard in all truth, they just take a while to do so you have to be patient. Don't do them in black and call it good, trust me it will look odd, and your going to eventually wish you had taken the time and done them right.

My jambs BTW are not 100% done. I still have some small details to finish up, but that's the great thing about wrap I have found. You can put it down and do it when you want to, and not when the material says you have to like paint.
It's quite possibly going to be black wrap anyhow but I'm still trying to decide. I noticed the past few trucks I've seen of Hill's they have their jambs and inside of the doors painted the same color as the interior instead of the body color. I know back when I used to watch west coast Customs they always did the jambs black when doing a full color change. I appreciate your advise and will give it great consideration. Now to fully convince myself to take on the wrap.
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Last edited by UKNOWME; 03-27-2017 at 12:08 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:46 PM   #811
75Dually

Quote:
It's quite possibly going to be black wrap anyone but I'm still trying to decide. I noticed the past few trucks I've seen of Hill's they have their jambs and inside of the doors painted the same color as the interior instead of the body color. I know back when I used to watch west coast Customs they always did the jambs black when doing a full color change. I appreciate your advise and will give it great consideration. Now to fully convince myself to take on the wrap.
Dude I'm about to do my neighbors El Camino, you totally have to try and wrap it. Yes there is some technical stuff you have to learn, but it is so worth it in the end.

Semi gloss black, just sayin'!!!
Old 03-27-2017, 12:18 AM   #812
COS399

Looking good. I would love to say that I could make that run but probably not going to happen this year. Keep us posted if you make some other runs or decide to come further north.

1987 GMC R2500 SC 454 T400
1988 Chevy R30 CC DRW 12 valve Cummins NV4500 GearVendors
COS399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:55 PM   #813
UKNOWME

Quote:
Dude I'm about to do my neighbors El Camino, you totally have to try and wrap it. Yes there is some technical stuff you have to learn, but it is so worth it in the end.

Semi gloss black, just sayin'!!!
Ordered my samples.
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
Old 03-27-2017, 10:49 PM   #814
75Dually

Quote:
Ordered my samples.
Can't wait to see it done! Post some pics when it is finished.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:16 PM   #815
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I have high hopes of taking my 40 Ford on power tour, but it'll likely not happen. I like shows, but i like to go to the bigger ones and drive more than set. The drive between them was the fun part for me. I drove/drive mine daily and not just to shows. I plan to drive the wheels off all of them this summer.

I doubt I get as far south as you this year though. I'd like to get to Austin for the rod show there some day. My car would not fit in there so IDK if I will or not.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:55 PM   #816
Ghostwhite
Squarebody guy

Although mine seems like it may never get done, I am of the same mentality. I want most everything I build to be able to go on long trips. My biggest motivation for getting the diesel was definitely the mileage boost over the 454.

Build it right, build it reliable and there is no reason to keep it locked up at home never to see the road between lawn chair shows. Roadkill has made me more likely to drive some of the stuff I have further than I normally would before being finished as well haha.

The wrap is killer! A little brighter than I would go but the grey really brings it back in to the perfect balance or colors.

Last edited by Ghostwhite; 03-28-2017 at 07:01 PM.
Ghostwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:49 PM   #817
SCOTI

I would be up for an extended C10 cruise. I would need (want) OD before heading out to AZ though. ~3k @ 65 gets old beyond 30min across town runs.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:03 PM   #818
75Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by COS399 View Post
Looking good. I would love to say that I could make that run but probably not going to happen this year. Keep us posted if you make some other runs or decide to come further north.
Will do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
I have high hopes of taking my 40 Ford on power tour, but it'll likely not happen. I like shows, but i like to go to the bigger ones and drive more than set. The drive between them was the fun part for me. I drove/drive mine daily and not just to shows. I plan to drive the wheels off all of them this summer.

I doubt I get as far south as you this year though. I'd like to get to Austin for the rod show there some day. My car would not fit in there so IDK if I will or not.
I like your plans! I bet we both burn up a lot of gas this summer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwhite View Post
Although mine seems like it may never get done, I am of the same mentality. I want most everything I build to be able to go on long trips. My biggest motivation for getting the diesel was definitely the mileage boost over the 454.

Build it right, build it reliable and there is no reason to keep it locked up at home never to see the road between lawn chair shows. Roadkill has made me more likely to drive some of the stuff I have further than I normally would before being finished as well haha.

The wrap is killer! A little brighter than I would go but the grey really brings it back in to the perfect balance or colors.
I would really like a diesel power plant, but that is not in the budget right now. As far as Roadkill goes, I'm a huge fan, I really dig that show. However you and I do not have a camera crew chase car following us around... Notice a lot of their stuff barely makes half of their trips, and some have left them stranded only a couple of miles out of the gate. Either way it is a super fun show and David and Mike are the perfect hosts.

I think it would be super fun to take a bunch of my car/truck nut friends and go find a hulk somewhere and do the very same thing. Hmmm I know where a couple 50's Chevy trucks are sitting right now... That gives me an idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I would be up for an extended C10 cruise. I would need (want) OD before heading out to AZ though. ~3k @ 65 gets old beyond 30min across town runs.
Yeah I've been thinking about getting an overdrive or maybe finding a 4L80 or 85E and making life a lot easier. Your right 3K at 65 is no good! Rather buzzy and hard to hold a conversation! Or maybe we should just do that trip a bit slower and save our pennies...
Old 03-29-2017, 05:49 PM   #819
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I would LOVE to do a trip like roadkill does. Fly in to a place, buy a car, fix/build it, then drive to where ever. They're living the dream IMO.

Yeah, I hope to burn some gas for sure. The 40 is the only thing I have that doesn't take diesel besides a leaf blower and a weed eater.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:02 AM   #820
75Dually

So I finally got back on the truck tonight. Yeah, yeah, yeah... More bed work. I got the end cap completed on the passenger wheel tub. What looks easy rarely is... I also have a cool design for both of the access doors. I hope to share that fairly soon.

There is a small show at our local mall this weekend and I would like to have the bed at least mostly done. If I could have the bed liner on it before then that would be a major plus.

Stay tuned!
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2017, 12:14 AM   #821
daddyjeep

Looking good.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:24 AM   #822
UKNOWME

Quote:

There is a small show at our local mall this weekend and I would like to have the bed at least mostly done. If I could have the bed liner on it before then that would be a major plus.
There's a chance I might make a run to Lubbock for that shop. If so I'll come say hello.
1964 Chevy c10
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU
Old 04-04-2017, 12:58 AM   #823
75Dually

Quote:
There's a chance I might make a run to Lubbock for that shop. If so I'll come say hello.
You better come say hello! LOL!
Old 04-07-2017, 01:57 PM   #824
75Dually

I have had this surf board for a couple of years now and it has just hung around in the shop for all that time. I got it on a trip we took to Florida a couple of years back. Because I am not ready with a new window for the Dually right now I made this display board for my club logo. Get it display board!

I am going to make a surf board mount for the bed at some point with a sign that is going to say "Surf West Texas!"

Stay tuned!
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2017, 09:15 PM   #825
75Dually

I just knew that I would find a use for that slider one day! Surf's up West Texas!!
Attached Images