The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2017, 12:59 AM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Any advice for a novice stripping under-carriage & drive train?

71 C-10 402/400 I'm perfectly green going into this. Can't wait to ID all the parts (so fun )........I've stripped the cab less front/rear windows, but essentially the undercarriage & drive train are a cab cart away. For what it's worth, I'm brushing the frame, and this is all in my garage less body/paint.

1. At some point the entire frame needs to be on stands. Is it safe to use a floor jack (on rollers) on the front or rear with the other side on jack stands? Very gradual? Other options? I've brought up the topic before, but something about visualizing a truck falling gives me the shivers.

2. In what order should I remove the following, generally speaking? It's all coming off.
  • Engine
  • Transmission
  • Suspension including steering from the steering box. This truck has rear leaf springs and a front sway bar.
  • Drive line
  • Axle

3. Specialty tools? I know a pitman arm puller, and I think a coil spring compressor. Prefer using the right tools.

Rust isn't an issue. Lucky for a first project. Thank you for any input.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 03-27-2017 at 01:22 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:26 AM   #2
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Any advice for a novice stripping under-carriage & drive train?

After doing the A/C cab and most of the engine compartment, surely there aren't as many parts...HA! I'm only rebuilding the shell of the engine, less maybe a new oil pump? 40K on it (1993). Not sure about the trans. 140K, but sure shifts nicely. Probably needs a new switch "pass through" for kick down.

CAN'T be near as many parts. I identified the end of every including gauge and color. Less inside the fuse panel anyway. Color cuz I'm colored blind, but I got to the point I can see THESE colors.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 03-27-2017, 06:26 AM   #3
Grumpy old man

Break down sequence

Complete front clip off
Remove bed
Remove cab
Remove driveline
Place frame on 4 jack stands high enough to remove suspension if your unsure with any of this guideline Get Help . Never use a floor jack as a replacement for jack stands , use your engine lift to help hold/ lift the frame . Do you have all the tools and equipment to safely do all this ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:46 AM   #4
OL SKOOL

Wink Re: Any advice for a novice stripping under-carriage & drive train?

Take lots of pictures.Time flys when your having fun. 4 or 5 years later you will be scratching your head did that go this way? Don't ask me how i know.
OL SKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:26 AM   #5
B. W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL SKOOL View Post
Take lots of pictures.Time flys when your having fun. 4 or 5 years later you will be scratching your head did that go this way? Don't ask me how i know.
Yep, you know the saying 90% done, 90% to go!

Grumpy is right & your order in #2 is correct except suspension will be last. Remove the heaviest stuff first. With the front clip off you can remove the engine & trans together if you choose (even easier with the cab off too!)
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:49 AM   #6
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
Yep, you know the saying 90% done, 90% to go!

Grumpy is right & your order in #2 is correct except suspension will be last. Remove the heaviest stuff first. With the front clip off you can remove the engine & trans together if you choose (even easier with the cab off too!)
I said suspension last , the driveline ( engine, Trans, drive shaft ) are a totally different system from the suspension . If your looking for more or better jack stands check all the local pawn shops for them , Lots of great deals on tools and equipment can be found and I'm talking Snap -On , Matco , Mac , all at a discount still with the lifetime warranty from your local "Metal Vampire" tool truck
Posted via Mobile Device
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:00 PM   #7
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Break down sequence

Complete front clip off
Remove bed
Remove cab
Remove driveline
Place frame on 4 jack stands high enough to remove suspension if your unsure with any of this guideline Get Help . Never use a floor jack as a replacement for jack stands , use your engine lift to help hold/ lift the frame . Do you have all the tools and equipment to safely do all this ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Engine hoist is a good idea. Unfortunately I don't have one. I'll rent or borrow one. Space is at a premium, otherwise I'd own one. I have plenty of jack stands.

I take it the truck needs to be lifted to remove the front coils and all shocks?

The front clip, bed and cab will be off before I dive into the suspension, drive train and drive line.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:32 PM   #8
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Let me ask, does it make much difference to remove the front coil spring with or without the weight of the engine? Looking at Youtube, it doesn't seem to make a difference if using spring compression tools.