The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2017, 02:49 PM   #1
hdff

Another one from my book of stupid questions

I bought some new felt and rubber scrapers for the window's on the doors. I guess I had never paid much attention to them other than to notice that they needed to be replaced. so today I go out to do the replacement and something doesn't look right. doesn't the felt go on the inside and the rubber on the outside??? the po had the felt on the outside and rubber on the inside.. I can't believe that I haven't noticed this before. so just to clarify the rubber does go on the outside and the felt on the inside.....

thanks
keith

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:52 PM   #2
randy500
Account Suspended

Re: Another one from my book of stupid questions

I would say this, since neither one of them touch the glass due to poor factory design, you can put them on either side, in fact I think rubber all around would fit the best and provide better air leak protection!!!!!
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:49 PM   #3
hdff

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
I would say this, since neither one of them touch the glass due to poor factory design, you can put them on either side, in fact I think rubber all around would fit the best and provide better air leak protection!!!!!
So if it was a poor factory design why haven't the aftermarket guys modified them so they fit better? I install precision which I thought were the best and the fit is crappy

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:06 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Rubber wipers go on the outside and the anti-rattle felt goes on the inside. The reason most of them don't seal is because the door is spread apart. The reason the door is spread apart is because the metal web/tie/bracket between the outside door skin and the door inner panel is usually broken.

Most of the aftermarket weather strips are made cheap and are smaller and more flimsy than the originals.

These are the best window felts/sweeps I have found. Made in the USA by Clark Industries, Pearcy, AR and go by the "Repops" brand.

http://www.classicindustries.com/pro...ts/cr1103.html

http://www.classicindustries.com/pro...ts/cr1073.html

The only difference in the two sets is one is stainless and one is chrome plated stainless...

There may be other vendors on here that sell the same brand (I hope they post up if they do) but I think the manufacturer is pretty selective who they let distribute the product.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:08 AM   #5
randy500
Account Suspended

Even the 72 doors when not very old just don't seal well, its the design.
If you look at cars of the same era, the window outside rubbers have a felt lining and it is sharply tilted upward like modern cars and they "sweep" the glass. These trucks the outer rubber has no lining and is pointing directly at the glass, the rubber is short and as such stiff, it was never meant to have a water or airtight seal, just not in the design.
I had these trucks in the 80's and changed out the window felts and rubbers with GM stuff right from the dealer, still just a close fit and not a sweep on the glass all the way across.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:34 AM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdff View Post
I bought some new felt and rubber scrapers for the window's on the doors. I guess I had never paid much attention to them other than to notice that they needed to be replaced. so today I go out to do the replacement and something doesn't look right. doesn't the felt go on the inside and the rubber on the outside??? the po had the felt on the outside and rubber on the inside.. I can't believe that I haven't noticed this before. so just to clarify the rubber does go on the outside and the felt on the inside.....

thanks
keith
All I can say is OOOOOOOOOOPS
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote