The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2017, 02:15 PM   #1
Robin

coast to coast craigslist purchase info?

I found a truck I like on Craigslist on the other coast. How can I safely make the transaction?
Some folks don't want to give out much personal information which makes it tough, and I really have no clue if my deposit/final payment is going to an honest seller.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:24 PM   #2
master 1969 c10

Re: coast to coast craigslist purchase info?

Maybe there is somebody here on the forum that could help u maybe look at the truck. I would like to think we're all a big truck family. We all help each other out from my experiences on here.
master 1969 c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 05:21 PM   #3
HO455
Post Whore

Post a thread asking for help at the trucks location. I looked at a car here for a friend in Seattle a couple of years back. We talked on the phone and I sent him photos while I looked at the car. The seller agreed to meet at a shop so we could put the car on a lift. It worked pretty smooth. I believe they did a bank transfer for payment. I would have a telephone conversation with whoever offers to help so you're all on the same page prior to seeing the car.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:02 AM   #4
El Dorado Jim

where is the truck located?
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:45 AM   #5
Tuff Gong

If you are not going to see it in person there isn't much you can do to protect yourself. Ultimately it comes down to having faith. I agree you should try and get a board member to check it out. Talk to the seller a lot! Get all of his or her personal information. Maybe you send a small down payment to get the ball rolling. From there request a signed and dated bill of sale via email that has money sent and remaining amount due. You could also request a copy of the title. Bank transfer is likely the easiest method to pay someone. You will feel sick sending all of your hard earned money to a complete stranger. If everything goes smooth, tell the owner to overnight you the title while you arrange for transportation.
I have gone through almost the same thing. It was very nerve racking but in the end it worked out fine.
Tuff Gong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:13 AM   #6
Grumpy old man

I've bought and sold many unseen trucks/ cars from just about every corner of the US and the number 1 rule is to be able to trust your gut feeling on the whole situation , if it just doesn't feel right back out ! If you feel good about the whole thing do it .
Posted via Mobile Device
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:14 AM   #7
57NAPCO
F’B’D guy

I've bought sight unseen about 30 times over the past 25-30 years, it's really is a trust issue and that trust is hard to come by. You have to try and vet the person on the phone ( and cross checking phone and address on the computer) by asking the right questions and being happy with their answers. I have almost always paid in full before ever going to pick up my rigs. Mind you I drive my stuff back across the country so the seller knows there will be a face to face meeting.

For "Whoever desires to love life and see good days, let him keep his tongue from evil and his lips from speaking deceit; let him turn away from evil and do good; let him seek peace and pursue it."
1 Peter 3:10-11

Last edited by 57NAPCO; 03-27-2017 at 06:24 AM.
57NAPCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:07 AM   #8
52napco

I buy a lot of trucks sight unseen..you just have to talk to them on the phone and like some one said earlier follow your gut feeling... if the truck you want is a good deal you DO NOT
have time to "have someone come look this weekend" because there are a lot of people like
Me that will send the money right away and your truck will be gone..You have to act quick.
52napco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:08 AM   #9
panhead59

I'm available anywhere in Va. to help with these types of transactions. Maybe we could get the moderators to set up an area on this site to list people willing to help etc.
panhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:03 AM   #10
cgster

I purchased a truck about 1 1/2 years ago that was about 1200 miles away and I had it shipped back to me. I went to the bank and had the money transferred from my bank account to his, but made sure that all of the truck details, (Vin#, Year, Make & Model) were included in the transfer details. That way if anything came up I had proof of my payment and what the payment was for. I also had him send me a lot of pictures so I could see as much of the truck as possible without actually being there so there were no surprises with the truck.
cgster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:17 AM   #11
jocko

When on the phone, it's sometimes helpful to ask if the seller will FedEx the title once he receives the payment. His willingness to do so is an indicator - but there is still risk. Always ask if the truck is titled in the seller's name and confirm his name is on the title. It's no fun purchasing a truck with a jumped title - DMV will ruin your day. Once there is a pick up address available - google earth it to confirm there is actually a residence or dealer or whatever there - and you may even see the truck in the driveway (I did and was relieved!). If you see open wilderness, well, that's your first clue may have been had.. at least it is a means of alerting you and you can get to the bank quickly. (ie the point is to get the shipping pick up address before paying and check it out). In the end, still comes down to trust. There are services for secure transactions that place the funds in a proxy thing until the truck is received - but then the seller feels at risk and most (myself included) won't agree to do it that way. Best bet is eyes on by a member as mentioned above - and his personal assessment of the seller's shiftiness or forthrightness.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:09 PM   #12
cleszkie

Agree with all that recommend getting a board member to take a look for you.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:36 PM   #13
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
I've bought and sold many unseen trucks/ cars from just about every corner of the US and the number 1 rule is to be able to trust your gut feeling on the whole situation , if it just doesn't feel right back out ! If you feel good about the whole thing do it .
Posted via Mobile Device
Excellentadvice and I have done the same over the years, Multiple purchases from all over the USA and Canada and have never been burned or had a problem. And yes, even if you feel good about the transaction you won't relax until the piece is in your possession and its what you expected..

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:42 PM   #14
Fraud

I recommend these guys http://www.roadreadyinspections.com/

They're nationwide, I got them to look at my truck for me in TN last year and the report they gave me was thorough, accurate and came through fairly quickly... If it was already day 3 of a 7 day ebay auction you might have trouble getting them to look at before the auction ended, but if you're talking one on one with the seller it may work out.

Ultimately you're still taking a risk, but if the seller is willing to let a 3rd party come check it out, and if the inspector can verify/photograph all paperwork/title/SPID etc. its a pretty good step in the right direction.
Fraud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:44 PM   #15
Robin

Thanks for all the replies appreciate it.
The guy took a deposit locally and I'm out of the running.
I really want to Thank all those who replied. Lots of good info.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:29 PM   #16
52napco

Well now that he has a deposit what was it??
52napco is offline   Reply With Quote