The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2019, 10:59 PM   #1
Kennyh71

71 K20 Radio Removal

I need to remove the radio in my 71 K20 with factory air and could use some tricks on the best / easiest way to do this. It looks like I need to remove the glove box liner to access the radio, and that seems a little tricky in its own right without tearing it up. The other option appears to be removing the duct assembly to get access, but hopefully there’s an easier way. Anyone with experience removing a radio with factory air? Thanks.

Kenny
Kennyh71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:07 PM   #2
hooverfish

Re: 71 K20 Radio Removal

Yes, remove the glove box liner. Take the radio out thru the GB opening. It's a tight fit but you can do it. Remove the antenna wire, power plug, and screw for rear hanger bar/strip. And the knobs, nuts, and cups off the front.

"It's a sorry man who can't find his wife a good job"
hooverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:49 AM   #3
Kennyh71

Thanks. Any tips on getting the glove box liner out without destroying it? It's a tight fit in the opening and the tabs on the GB liner are located behind the tabs in the opening. The liner doesn't seem to be able to be removed from the opening in the dash without virtually cutting it out.

Kenny
Old 01-23-2019, 01:44 AM   #4
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Just get a new liner, they're not expensive. I've had to replace two so far. The old one will be destroyed when you remove it anyway. Ancient cardboard doesn't have much structural integrity. Mine fell apart into a lot of pieces.

If anyone has had better luck and knows the secret, I'd love to hear it.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:04 AM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: 71 K20 Radio Removal

Taking the glove box liner is a art! I have gotten them out but it just takes forever. Take all the screws out first and take the door off. Yes take the door off. Then reach up into the top and take the keeper out. This will let you grab the edge of the liner and easy bend the top down to clear the opening. Slid it as far to the passenger side as you can and reach in behind it and undo the AC hose tee. This gives you room to get it out. Will it come out with no tears I doubt it but with some minor tears you can reuse it. I've used duct tape to fix the minor tears in my 71 and it has been took out numerous times. It's a newer liner though.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:24 AM   #6
rpmerf

I use plastic screwdrivers (interior panel removal tools) to get the glove box liner past the lip so I can pull it out. Once you have one side over the lip, it gets easier.

Remove the AC hose splitter on the left side behind the glove box liner. The hoses go up the the center vent. Can't remember if you can remove the vent with the radio in place. You might want to remove the hose for the pass side defrost vent also. Anything to give you more room. I forget the size of the hoses, but you can get them for pretty cheap. Pretty sure I got my last set from Summit Racing.

Now we can move on to the radio. There will be a wiring harness - 2 or 3 wires, and the lead for the antenna. There should be a bracket in the back holding it up. On each of the posts up front will be a nut. May have to remove a cover, or at least the knobs to expose them.
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:34 PM   #7
Kennyh71

Thanks everyone, this is exactly the information I was looking for.

Kenny
Old 01-23-2019, 07:42 PM   #8
jocko

I'm too cheap I guess, I didn't want to destroy my gb liner so I removed the couple screws retaining the a/c controls and ash tray, left all the control cables attached and dangled it out of the way and did a little yoga to get it out. If I do it again, I'll probably do what is suggested above. My way isn't better, it's just "a" way to do it - I just didn't think of the smarter way because I didn't even consider a new gb liner
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:10 AM   #9
joeydurango

I take the liner out. Andy's method is similar to what I do... slow and easy does it, don't force anything more than it has to be! So far I've never had to replace a liner, and I've removed two separate original ones at least 5-6 times...
1976 Trans Am | 455/4-spd | TOTALED
joeydurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:50 AM   #10
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

You guys clearly have more patience than I do. When I removed the original liner it was so rotten it just crumbled..... so I didn't even try to save the second one, though I didn't tear it up too badly.
Heck, I worry about ruining new ones when I install 'em!

Now that I think about it, the construction crew I was on was sometimes called the wrecking crew. Sometimes things kinda make sense.....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:03 AM   #11
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: 71 K20 Radio Removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
You guys clearly have more patience than I do. When I removed the original liner it was so rotten it just crumbled..... so I didn't even try to save the second one, though I didn't tear it up too badly.

Now that I think about it, the construction crew I was on was sometimes called the wrecking crew. Sometimes things kinda make sense.....

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:21 PM   #12
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Exactly this - maybe THAT'S really why I don't go thru the glovebox, ha. I like the idea someone mentioned about using the plastic trim tools.. I'll have to try that.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote