The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2019, 11:37 PM   #1
rockyrivermark

Sticking valves fix??

So I got s small block that has been sitting for several years.
Seems like valves are sticking. Thinking intake bit maybe an exhaust or two also, not sure.
So I've heard pouring marvel mystery oil down carb , in gas tank and also adding it to the oil. Seafoam help?
I was going to take valve covers off and spray some penetrating oil around the valve stems. And add mystery to the oil.
Any suggestions or info greatly appreciated.
low mileage engine.
Thanks
Mark
http://www.cbcabinets.com
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:44 PM   #2
davischevy

Re: Sticking valves fix??

You stole my answer. Marvel Mystery Oil.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:04 AM   #3
CastIron

I'd try adding a bottle of Techron to the tank and running some GM top engine cleaner down the carburetor.
CastIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:04 AM   #4
truckster

If MMO can't unstick the lifters they have to come out.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:41 AM   #5
rockyrivermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
You stole my answer. Marvel Mystery Oil.
so in with the oil and gas tank? eventually in know the engine will need gone through but want to get it running better so it can be moved when needed.
thanks!
Mark
Old 01-22-2019, 10:38 AM   #6
dave6672

I'm very interested in replies to this thread. I have a 72 C20 with a 350 that sat for many years before I purchased it (truck only has 25,000 miles on it). I oiled the cylinders, let it sit and then turned it over by hand prior to starting it. I got it running real well but it has had continual lifter noise for the past year. I added MMO to the oil initially and after 100 miles or so changed the oil and added Rislone to the oil. Neither has helped the noise but it has been running great so I didn't care.

Then the other say coming home from work it wanted to die every time I came to a stop (won't idle). Looked for vacuum leaks and ignition issues but can't find the problem. I then noticed an "air puffing" type of sound from the tailpipe that wasn't there before and am wondering if there is a valve train issue? Therefore I am definitely interested in any types of additives that I could use to solve my issue.

1972 K20
1972 C20 Highlander
1957 Chevy 210 Delray
1967 C10
dave6672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:25 PM   #7
68Gold/white

Are we talking about the valves possibly sticking in the guides or lifters being stubborn??? Just wondering...

Marvel mystery oil is good stuff, auto trans fluid works quite well, and is cheaper, as far as adding something to the oil...trans fluid has a boat of detergent in it.

There is more than one company that makes foaming penetrating types of lubricants, I just don't remember any right now, been a while since I needed such a product. Most come with a straw, similar to WD40. I would seek out a foaming penetrant, and shoot some into the insides of the valve springs. Maybe even do this 2-3 times, before attempting to start engine...couldn't hurt anything...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:47 PM   #8
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6672 View Post
I'm very interested in replies to this thread. I have a 72 C20 with a 350 that sat for many years before I purchased it (truck only has 25,000 miles on it). I oiled the cylinders, let it sit and then turned it over by hand prior to starting it. I got it running real well but it has had continual lifter noise for the past year. I added MMO to the oil initially and after 100 miles or so changed the oil and added Rislone to the oil. Neither has helped the noise but it has been running great so I didn't care.

Then the other say coming home from work it wanted to die every time I came to a stop (won't idle). Looked for vacuum leaks and ignition issues but can't find the problem. I then noticed an "air puffing" type of sound from the tailpipe that wasn't there before and am wondering if there is a valve train issue? Therefore I am definitely interested in any types of additives that I could use to solve my issue.
Could have burnt an exhaust valve.

To OP if the valves are sticking I have used mmo and pb blaster to lube the valve stem . On a 6 cylinder I once had to actually tap the valve and spring with a hammer and pry it back up. This was before I got the engine broke free. A 63 lark with 22k original miles . I bought it in 1980 the car had sat untouched in a basement garage since 1968. Have to say the car ran great after a few hundred miles.
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:02 PM   #9
dave6672

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Could have burnt an exhaust valve.

To OP if the valves are sticking I have used mmo and pb blaster to lube the valve stem . On a 6 cylinder I once had to actually tap the valve and spring with a hammer and pry it back up. This was before I got the engine broke free. A 63 lark with 22k original miles . I bought it in 1980 the car had sat untouched in a basement garage since 1968. Have to say the car ran great after a few hundred miles.
Thanks for the input. I'm going to pull off the valve covers and lube the stems and go from there. Also picked up some fuel treatment so we'll see how it goes.

1972 K20
1972 C20 Highlander
1957 Chevy 210 Delray
1967 C10
dave6672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:13 PM   #10
Molino

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyrivermark View Post
So I got s small block that has been sitting for several years.
Seems like valves are sticking. Thinking intake bit maybe an exhaust or two also, not sure.
So I've heard pouring marvel mystery oil down carb , in gas tank and also adding it to the oil. Seafoam help?
I was going to take valve covers off and spray some penetrating oil around the valve stems. And add mystery to the oil.
Any suggestions or info greatly appreciated.
low mileage engine.
Thanks
Mark
Valve noises, my go to is always a beer (or soda/pop) can full of ice cold water poured down the carb while the engine is running. Keep your hand on the throttle to keep the rpms up so the engine doesn’t stall. Water creates a more violent explosion in the cylinder since it is actually hydrogen and oxygen. This will blast most all carbon off of the valve faces and pistons. Now that the combustion chambers are cleaned this will be a great place to start trouble shooting valve noises, if the noise is still there. Carbon can cause noises too. If need be, I think you are on the right track by going into the valve cover. Once in there put a timing light on the rockers looking for inconsistencies. Adjust the rockers of the noisy valves, maybe just out of adjustment.
Good luck, I hope you are all shoveled out !
Russ
Molino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:18 AM   #11
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molino View Post
Water creates a more violent explosion in the cylinder since it is actually hydrogen and oxygen. This will blast most all carbon off of the valve faces and pistons. Now that the combustion chambers are cleaned... Russ
The water doesn't convert to hydrogen and oxygen; that would require more energy input than you would gain because you have to separate the molecules, which have a fairly strong bond. Instead, the water turns to steam, which is pretty effective at cleaning carbon deposits.

Although the OP isn't specific as to what he means by sticking valves, in my experience the most common causes for valve train noise are sticking lifters or maladjusted rockers. If it's rockers, they need to be adjusted; if it's sticking lifters, Marvel is the best I have found.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:55 AM   #12
Mike C

Valves are known to stick if you get a motor running that has gas that is mostly gone bad. Lots of times fresh fuel will be splashed in to get it running then the poor fuel will actually fire on the warm engine. But when the engine is shut off, the varnished fuel deposits CAN cause the valves to stick. This may not be related to your problems at all, but hopefully will help someone thinking about running a vehicle that has been sitting a long time.

Water can help, but be VERY judicious in it’s application. ATF is also used to help clean the engine top end while running and requires the same slow, metered application.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:44 PM   #13
Molino

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
The water doesn't convert to hydrogen and oxygen; that would require more energy input than you would gain because you have to separate the molecules, which have a fairly strong bond. Instead, the water turns to steam, which is pretty effective at cleaning carbon deposits.

Although the OP isn't specific as to what he means by sticking valves, in my experience the most common causes for valve train noise are sticking lifters or maladjusted rockers. If it's rockers, they need to be adjusted; if it's sticking lifters, Marvel is the best I have found.
Thanks Truckster for clarifying the chemistry of adding water into the venturis, I just know that it does clean carbon and deposits off of the valves. After the water trick you can follow up with Marvel or Rislone both will work.
Russ
Molino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:01 PM   #14
toolboxchev

Lifters will stick also, hard sometimes to determine which it is. Good oil will help. My lifters stick all the time on startup when it is cold, I just give it a little rev up to 2 grand and get the oil up there in the lifter valley.

Summertime no issues.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:42 PM   #15
Sparky dave

Mine has a ticking sound on cylinder 7 but hopefully it’s just a blowing header gasket
Sparky dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:40 PM   #16
rockyrivermark

Thanks for all the replies!
I'm going to adjust the valves first and see how it runs ad sounds. Definitely one or two hanging up.
I'll report back once I dig into it.
Mark
Old 01-24-2019, 06:14 AM   #17
Ironangel

A proven home made penetrant is a 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone. I like to take it a step further and add an equal amount of Marvels Mystery Oil. While your running them valves give them stems a liberal dose of the above mixture. And while your right there with the socket wrench, swing that rocker off the top of the valve stem and hit the top of the valve stem with a hard rubber hammer or the end of the wooden handle of a 4lb hammer. Just a couple of whacks hard enough to open and close the valve a couple times. Do that to each valve paying attention to the sound of each valve. Keep them stems wet with the penetrant while you do this. After you get the valves adjusted and the motor running, pour a little MMO down each throat of the carb. You can follow up with some SeaFoam down the carb to help that MMO get to them valves as well as clean things up a bit. Make sure those push rods are open and the MMO in a squirt bottle will help getting the oil in the ends of the rods and delivered right down to the lifter that may be dry or dirty. Inline fours such as the Z1 are notorious for carbon build up and a squirt through the exhaust ports and in the intake ports gets right on them valves, and the hammer handle trick will usually jar any carbon chunks loose and reseat the valve. Always use an oil with ZDDP in it such as Mag-1 or Valvoline, I'd use a 5w30 with a quart of Rislone or MMO in the crank case...
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:14 PM   #18
54blackhornet

Liqui Molley makes a valve cleaning product that is increasing...
Old 01-24-2019, 03:11 PM   #19
toolboxchev

X2 on that Valvoline VR1. I believe its the main cause of my engine still running! It is a very high quality oil.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:42 PM   #20
demian5

Sounds like a collapsed lifter. It must be ticking.

I just had to do this with my low mile, little use 327 in my 64 impala ss. I pulled the valve cover and poured the mystery oil right down the pushrods to the lifters. I then fired it up every day and ran it for about 10 minutes to get warm, then shut off.

Did that for 3 days and it released. I changed the oil and all is good.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote