The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2019, 09:38 PM   #151
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

i used the one from tanks inc......http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/pa...rod/prd346.htm

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:58 PM   #152
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Looks very similar to the Classic Instruments sender. Did yours sound like it had a moving part inside the tube?
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 11:19 PM   #153
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I don't think ive heard anything moving in mine...ill check it tomorrow and see for sure..

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
Old 06-25-2019, 02:31 PM   #154
Vic1947

I've got a bunch of parts ready to go out for powder coating, so I took a couple of hours yesterday and did some spray out cards with colors I'm considering for my project. I'm partial to silvers and greys, so I dug thru my paint box and pulled everything I had. Also went to my local paint supplier and had him mix some 1/4 pint samples of a few other colors I've seen and liked.

I sprayed a total of 11 samples and have pretty well decided on Mercedes Benz Iridium Silver (yellow arrows) for the exterior and either GM Storm Grey on the left or (cough:cough) Ford Tungsten Grey on the right for the chassis. I'll take the samples with me and see what they offer that matches my choices the best. I've used these guys for several previous builds and they have a ton of colors, plus they'll order anything I like they may not have on hand. They've powder coated a large selection of colors on aluminum cans and have them hung on a large white board for comparison. That way you can see what you're actually going to get as opposed to chip charts that don't always give an accurate view.

Now if I can just get the last of my parts from the media blaster, I'll be ready for a day trip.

The engine builder sent me the PRO number for my shipment. It should be here at the local terminal ready for pickup on Friday. No word yet on the delivery date for the trans and converter, but hopefully won't be long.
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2019, 02:37 PM   #155
Low Elco

As always, if you need a haul, just holler!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:29 PM   #156
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
As always, if you need a haul, just holler!
Thanks, Chip!
Old 06-25-2019, 07:01 PM   #157
nlped

I like the Mercedes silver... it’s the color of my wife’s Benz.

1968 Chevy SWB Fleet... Walt

1963-1/2 Ford Falcon Futura...Martha
nlped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 01:37 PM   #158
knomadd

That classic instruments fuel sender is pretty neat. It works well and doesn't have a lot of movement in the needle since fuel doesn't slosh around inside the tube. I'm not using mine anymore because my aluminum fuel tank has a raised platform for the sender, so the tank never registered more then 7/8 full. It would come out of the fuel pump vent before it ever read full. You're lucky that you have an indented location in your tank to mount the sender. Had mine been done that way, I'd probably still have it installed.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:10 PM   #159
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
That classic instruments fuel sender is pretty neat. It works well and doesn't have a lot of movement in the needle since fuel doesn't slosh around inside the tube. I'm not using mine anymore because my aluminum fuel tank has a raised platform for the sender, so the tank never registered more then 7/8 full. It would come out of the fuel pump vent before it ever read full. You're lucky that you have an indented location in your tank to mount the sender. Had mine been done that way, I'd probably still have it installed.
Thanks for mentioning that, Duane. My only info about this style sender is what I've read on the Google. Good to know details from someone who's actually had one installed.

The engine arrived at the freight terminal last Thursday and I picked it up the next day. Trans stuff will be delayed a few weeks due to some sort of problem with the hardened input shaft. Performance Automatics rejected a batch of them so they're running behind on the 4L70E's.

Now that the LS is here, I've got a bunch of detailing to do. The FITech LS intake reminds me of the sign on my wall, "Looks great from 8ft ...after 8pm." The runners and welds are great but the curved top of the unit looks like it was formed by hand. Plus there's a big spot in the middle that appears to have been heated or distressed somehow before anodizing. I'm mulling what I can do to camouflage the whoop-de-do's but haven't landed on a solution yet. The injector wiring is a little easier to address. I welded some ends on a piece of 1x2 aluminum rectangle tubing then cleaned them up. Corner rounded the top edges and milled a decorative slot into the top before opening up the bottom. It fits down over the injector plugs nicely. I still need to trim about 5/8" off the bottom and have them powder coated, but they look better than nothing ...IMHO.
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2019, 12:01 PM   #160
Vic1947

The Holley shorty headers arrived this week and are a mixed bag. On the one hand, the overall appearance and welds are very nice. On the other hand, the fit leaves a lot to be desired, plus the included hardware was SAE rather than metric. A straightedge across the flanges revealed fairly large gaps. They may pull down but the torque on the bolts is only 24 ft/lbs. If that doesn't work, you'd have to mill or grind the flanges flat.

Another passenger side issue was interference between the collector ring and the block which forced me to grind the corner of the block for clearance. The driver side doesn't have any block clearance issues, but two of the spark plug boots are hard up against the header tubes. It's like they welded the tubes in at the wrong angle. I'm probably going to make a run at their customer service and see if they can swap them out for some that fit right rather than trying to modify these. This is why I stuck with the stock exhaust manifolds on my last build.
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2019, 12:37 PM   #161
Vic1947

The twins that lived next door to us in Houston (our pretend grandkids) were here all week, so progress was hit and miss. Ryan and I worked on assembling a square body model truck kit. Between paint and glue drying, I patched the passenger side fender. I was impressed with the quality of the reproduction parts. They're a nice heavy gauge material AND they actually fit like they should. Pleasant surprise.

The fender had been lightly hit up front and after media blasting I used the hammer and dolly to clean it up a little better. Also used the shrinking tool to bring the flange where the front molding bolts on back to flat. It was good to be able to restore the original sheetmetal which I already know fits very well as opposed to spending more on a reproduction piece that may or may not fit.
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2019, 05:43 PM   #162
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Sucks about the headers but that fender looks great.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:26 AM   #163
swamp rat

Great fender work!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:17 PM   #164
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Sucks about the headers but that fender looks great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Great fender work!
Thanks guys. I'm getting closer to squirting some epoxy primer on the fender pieces. Tomorrow looks like the weather will cooperate. Had 60mph winds and almost a half inch of rain this morning but it's well out of here now.

Haven't heard back from Holley's tech support about the headers so sending them a web contact is not the hot tip. Will call them instead. Shoulda known.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:39 PM   #165
jhrusk

Welcome to not so great work of FItech. I hope you don't have any issues. You project is awesome by the way. I look forward to updates
Old 07-13-2019, 03:04 PM   #166
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrusk View Post
Welcome to not so great work of FItech. I hope you don't have any issues. You project is awesome by the way. I look forward to updates
Thanks, Jay. I skimmed thru your build thread and man is it ever impressive! You and I share a lot when it comes to how we do stuff. I've had some of the same experiences when outsourcing work. I often think I come across as being too particular, but like yourself, I know what I want.

As for the FITech setup, it came with the crate engine and at least has been tested by the engine builder / dyno shop. We'll see how it performs once I get on the road (next year sometime). The main reason I took a pass on the GM connect and cruise package I used in my last truck build was that GM is of little use if you have a problem. They tell you to take it to any dealer for issues, but when I tried that, they wouldn't even let me roll it off the trailer and told me to take it to an independent shop. This way, if I run into a hitch, I have someone I can call and talk to at least. I'll keep my fingers crossed and thanks for the heads up.

I got some of the parts in epoxy primer the other day. I had a gallon of red oxide left over from a previous build, so pardon the color. The metal repair is coming along slowly. The doors (especially the passenger front door) will need a lot of love. No one sells door patch panels for four door wagons or sedans, so I bought a couple of skins for a two door and will split and modify them to fit mine. Meanwhile there's a lot of work to do on the inner structure before I can address the outsides. I had hoped to have the doors pretty well lined out by the time we go back to pick up the body in mid-August, but it's looking like my goal may have been too ambitious.
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2019, 05:38 PM   #167
Vic1947

Been doing some metal work little by little. A couple of "after" shots below to go with the "before" shown above.

I've been on Craigslist and FB marketplace the last few days looking for a decent low buck truck. Hard to find. Most of the low priced stuff is eat up with tinworm and anything nice is beyond my budget. I finally ran across a 2003 Ford F150 XLT I picked up for $2500 that should work. It has a little rust but they covered most of it with wheel flares. Biggest issue is that the driver door is sprung from being whipped open in a 60mph wind. It folded all the way into the front fender and is now hard to close. The drivetrain (5.4L V8 / auto trans) is solid and the interior is nice. I can fix the damage for about $300 in parts. Already have a fender and hinges on the way.

Decided it was just too expensive to keep renting trucks to haul parts around the countryside. When the wagon is finished, I'll put the truck up for sale and maybe wind up ahead in the cost department. If I do, it will be a first, but hope springs eternal.
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2019, 09:42 PM   #168
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

I'll probably get strung up for saying this. But, the F150 looks very serviceable. You can't beat the price......

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:20 PM   #169
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
I'll probably get strung up for saying this. But, the F150 looks very serviceable. You can't beat the price......
I agree, Dale, I think it will be a good work truck and it was the best I could do at that price point. This will be the fourth Ford I've owned and I've only had one "Found On Road Dead" experience previously, so statistically I'm ahead.

I went to Sedalia yesterday expecting to pick up my powder coating, but it wasn't quite done, so I brought home what was and will return for the rest next week. What I really wanted was to have my buddy Steve cut out the vinyl I bought to cover the FITech intake. Unfortunately, my measurements left a bit to be desired, so I revised the drawing and will have him re-do it next week.

Meanwhile here's some photos of what it looks like. The close up shows the pattern, but when you're several feet away, you don't really see it. Instead, it looks like a textured surface. I does hide all the ugly on the top of the intake, though. I'm on the fence about the 6.2 LS3 embossed emblem. Without an identifier, some folks at the cruise-ins ask what the engine is. But still, the emblem may be a bit too much.
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2019, 03:58 PM   #170
mongocanfly
Post Whore

That looks great Vic..!!

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

Old 07-20-2019, 04:52 PM   #171
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
That looks great Vic..!!
Thanks, Greg.

The coil covers present a different problem. Seems like whenever you attempt to polish cast aluminum, it never goes well. The Holley covers are rippled and striated from the factory polishing process. The photos don't show it as well as in person, but for what they cost, they look like warmed over death. I picked these because they had the "Chevrolet" script cast into the cover in a way that resembled the early small block valve covers. The script looks great but everywhere else... not so much. Right now, I'm leaning toward glass beading just the covers and powder coating them silver. I hate to give up the polished look I paid extra for, but I hate how they look out of the box. Sure Coat offers a "chrome" coating, but you need to spray urethane clear over it to protect it. Otherwise, it deteriorates very quickly. You don't want to use clear powder over it as it changes the color too much. Decisions, decisions.
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2019, 07:45 PM   #172
mongocanfly
Post Whore

im slowly losing faith in holley...lately near evrything ive bought holley has made in china on it....
sucks about the polish job...i bet theyd look good black or similar to the intake...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

Old 07-21-2019, 09:55 AM   #173
notsolo

Read through your project again, awesome. The chassis and wheels are nicely displayed, the engine is looking amazing. If not happy with the covers, like you said bead blast them except the script, maybe paint or powder coat charcoal to match the top cover. Orange or red over the script would look good too.....2 cents added..?Your Metal work is really nice...Makes my project look positively average.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:43 PM   #174
Low Elco

Good lookin' stuff!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:41 PM   #175
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

May I make a suggestion on the headers? Send them back and order some CSLS1 shortie headers from Sanderson. I have them on my LS and had absolutely no fitment issues...10 years ago and they are still great!

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote