The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2019, 07:25 AM   #301
TKCR

Re: Bench Seats, Having them Reupholstered

Just finished up a fully restored 81-87 bench seat. This was done in Black Velour/Vinyl.
Attached Images

TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:33 AM   #302
TKCR

This seat taken in as a core. It was given a second chance at being beautiful again. It was completely stripped down and restored for the Black Velour, in the above post.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2019, 05:04 PM   #303
TKCR

Spent the day getting some tracks and hardware sandblasted and painted. Such a tedious job, and I have a long way to go.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2019, 05:17 PM   #304
TKCR

This was a surprise find. Found this under a bench seat, I was removing from a truck, at the Pic-N-Pull. It was all rusty, so it got sandblasted with the rest of the stuff. Now it just needs some polishing.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2019, 07:41 AM   #305
TKCR

Now that I have a bunch of hardware completed, cleaned/sandblasted/repainted, it’s time to start bagging. I put all the hardware needed to build 1 seat, in a baggy. All those bags are put in a container. When it’s time to build a seat, I grab a bag and go. I don’t have to spend time sorting thru all the hardware. Same with all the springs, they get sorted and put in a container also.
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2019, 08:46 AM   #306
hatzie

Black oxide may be faster and more durable than paint for parts like springs.
The industrial process name is Oxide passivization.
It's similar to Bluing and Parkerizing on firearms. You're using a chemically produced oxide of Iron to provide corrosion protection.

Caswell sells kits that work well.

This guy uses dirty motor oil as a final step. I use clean motor oil.

I've used black oxide on threaded hardware and washers, Zinc plating with Chromium yellowing on carburetor bodies to mimic the original cadmium plating, and electroless copper and nickel on machine tool handwheels.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:07 AM   #307
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
Black oxide may be faster and more durable than paint for parts like springs.
The industrial process name is Oxide passivization.
It's similar to Bluing and Parkerizing on firearms. You're using a chemically produced oxide of Iron to provide corrosion protection.

I've used black oxide on threaded hardware and washers, Zinc plating with Chromium yellowing on carburetor bodies to mimic the original cadmium plating, and electroless copper and nickel on machine tool handwheels.
That’s awesome, thanks for the video. I will certainly look into that. Now for a question when using this. Can I still sandblast everything, especially the bolts, and still use this process? A tumbler just doesn’t get all the rust and gunk out of the threads of the bolts, like sandblasting does. When I paint, this is what I’m using
https://www.vhtpaint.com/specialty/v...-weather-paint

Last edited by TKCR; 05-05-2019 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:29 AM   #308
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
That’s awesome, thanks for the video. I will certainly look into that. Now for a question when using this. Can I still sandblast everything, especially the bolts, and still use this process? A tumbler just doesn’t get all the rust and gunk out of the threads of the bolts, like sandblasting does.
UPDATESo I went to the Caswell website and found the answer to that question:
How to achieve professional results in minutes:- Thoroughly clean the part to be blackened by either sandblasting, wire brushing, wire wool abrasive cleaning, or by scrubbing in 'VIM' or 'COMET' household abrasive cleaner. Make sure you have removed all rust, paint, oil and grease.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:31 PM   #309
Funstuie

Quote:
This was a surprise find. Found this under a bench seat, I was removing from a truck, at the Pic-N-Pull. It was all rusty, so it got sandblasted with the rest of the stuff. Now it just needs some polishing.
That looks like the $5 ones they sell at harbor freight.
Funstuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:00 PM   #310
TKCR

The 81 Green Benchseat is on its way to California
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2019, 04:04 PM   #311
pitterpat

Nice job.

Instead of sandblasting the nuts and bolts it might be easier to get one of those tumblers to clean them. Much easier and less tedious.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=783971
pitterpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 04:19 PM   #312
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitterpat View Post
Nice job.

Instead of sandblasting the nuts and bolts it might be easier to get one of those tumblers to clean them. Much easier and less tedious.
Thanks Pat. I’ve tried the tumbler, it just doesn’t get the job done like the sandblaster does. And I’m pretty OCD, so it’s not good enough. I want it all as perfect as I can possibly get it.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:22 PM   #313
TKCR

Just picked this up today. A tilting rear seat from a Crew Cab, 77-80. In really good shape, as most rear seats are. Whoever got the front seat, would have made out better with the rear seat. They are always in better condition because they are rarely used. And the front seat, in a Crew, DO NOT tilt, the rear seats DO tilt.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2019, 01:45 AM   #314
Funstuie

Looking for some advice - the bench seat in my 76 (actually its in the garage at the moment) is in good condition but the cover is crap and old and I’m sick of saddle blankets. What’s the best diy option? This thread is huge and I am sure I’m asking repeated questions, sorry.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:39 AM   #315
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funstuie View Post
Looking for some advice - the bench seat in my 76 (actually its in the garage at the moment) is in good condition but the cover is crap and old and I’m sick of saddle blankets. What’s the best diy option? This thread is huge and I am sure I’m asking repeated questions, sorry.
Depends on how much work & money you want to put into it. First off, everyone says that their seat is in good or decent condition. But the truth is, 99% of the seats I tear apart to restore, have issues that need to be addressed.
This is why I started restoring seats, wether someone did the work themselves or took the seat to an upholstery shop, seats this old have underlying issues. Myself, years ago, I took my seat to an upholstery shop. I paid all that money and found out, upholstery shops don’t touch your frame. I looked at my seat, and said, OH that looks way better, nice new cover!! But I get it home and turn the seat over and get to looking, nothing else was obviously touched. I called the shop up and they say, that’s all we do, is upholstery. So I called a few other places, which there’s not a lot of, and got the same answer. Upholstery shops only do upholstery. Maybe that’s ok for some people, but not me.
1) Rusty frame is the big one. Let me ask, if you have a moldy wall, would you paint over it and not fix the mold? Most would answer No, because the mold is still there and will resurface thru the paint, so time and money wasted. Why would anyone put a NEW Cover over a rusty frame, seems like a waste of money.
2) These seats always have broken springs. That’s why the seat leans to one side or it’s sagging really bad. I have torn apart seats, that have some major rigging done, instead of replacing the springs.
3) Tracks are hard to slide or don’t slide at all. I’ve gotten seats from people, that didn’t even realize that their seat did slide,
But to answer your initial question, purchase a new seat cover. Take the old cover off and install new one. You’ll need hog rings & hog ring pliers. I guess it’s up to you what you want to do about the rest of the seat.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:07 PM   #316
Funstuie

Quote:
Depends on how much work & money you want to put into it. First off, everyone says that their seat is in good or decent condition. But the truth is, 99% of the seats I tear apart to restore, have issues that need to be addressed.
This is why I started restoring seats, wether someone did the work themselves or took the seat to an upholstery shop, seats this old have underlying issues. Myself, years ago, I took my seat to an upholstery shop. I paid all that money and found out, upholstery shops don’t touch your frame. I looked at my seat, and said, OH that looks way better, nice new cover!! But I get it home and turn the seat over and get to looking, nothing else was obviously touched. I called the shop up and they say, that’s all we do, is upholstery. So I called a few other places, which there’s not a lot of, and got the same answer. Upholstery shops only do upholstery. Maybe that’s ok for some people, but not me.
1) Rusty frame is the big one. Let me ask, if you have a moldy wall, would you paint over it and not fix the mold? Most would answer No, because the mold is still there and will resurface thru the paint, so time and money wasted. Why would anyone put a NEW Cover over a rusty frame, seems like a waste of money.
2) These seats always have broken springs. That’s why the seat leans to one side or it’s sagging really bad. I have torn apart seats, that have some major rigging done, instead of replacing the springs.
3) Tracks are hard to slide or don’t slide at all. I’ve gotten seats from people, that didn’t even realize that their seat did slide,
But to answer your initial question, purchase a new seat cover. Take the old cover off and install new one. You’ll need hog rings & hog ring pliers. I guess it’s up to you what you want to do about the rest of the seat.
Thanks for the reply. The bench is in really good condition, there’s no rust, the springs and foam are not damaged or sagging. I think it’s been redone at some stage in the trucks life. The main issue is the current cover is sub damaged and brittle (also full of dog hairs).

The runners could definitely do with cleaning and but there’s no rust (California truck).

I’ll look for a cover and see what’s available. I would love to have this done professionally but costs are adding up on this truck as it is.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:26 AM   #317
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funstuie View Post
Thanks for the reply. The bench is in really good condition, there’s no rust, the springs and foam are not damaged or sagging. I think it’s been redone at some stage in the trucks life. The main issue is the current cover is sub damaged and brittle (also full of dog hairs).

The runners could definitely do with cleaning and but there’s no rust (California truck).

I’ll look for a cover and see what’s available. I would love to have this done professionally but costs are adding up on this truck as it is.
If your going to do it yourself, I would highly recommend USA1 Industries for the cover.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:12 AM   #318
ShortHaul

Is this your seat!!?

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...938066006.html
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...49#post8769049
”Otis” 1970 C10 SWB -SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=762766
”Chebby” 1962 Impala LS/TKO-500
http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/1...2-Impala-Build
ShortHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:41 AM   #319
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortHaul View Post
Sure looks like it. The guy that bought it, was from California. He must be abandoning his build. He had said, he was going to change his interior to that color of green, to match the seat. Basically he was doing his build around the seat. Well that’s sad to see that he is selling the truck.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:54 PM   #320
ShortHaul

Quote:
Sure looks like it. The guy that bought it, was from California. He must be abandoning his build. He had said, he was going to change his interior to that color of green, to match the seat. Basically he was doing his build around the seat. Well that’s sad to see that he is selling the truck.
Aww MAN! I knew it... that seat is the best part of his build! lol!
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...49#post8769049
”Otis” 1970 C10 SWB -SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=762766
”Chebby” 1962 Impala LS/TKO-500
http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/1...2-Impala-Build
ShortHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:28 PM   #321
Honest Bob

I found this a while back for refurbishing old bolts. Similar to the post above but this guy sets them of fire!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTMU...83TMN&index=30

I found it interesting if not maybe a bit time consuming.
Honest Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:20 PM   #322
pitterpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Bob View Post
I found this a while back for refurbishing old bolts. Similar to the post above but this guy sets them of fire!

Pretty cool! Looked at some of his other videos and they were pretty good. I subscribed to his channel. Good stuff!!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=783971
pitterpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:01 PM   #323
hatzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Bob View Post

Works for bolts but springs don't like being heated.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 12:00 PM   #324
TKCR

Working on a few orders. A Charcoal Velour Deluxe with New foam. This one is Sold and going to West Virginia. I will be meeting him for the exchange.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2019, 12:05 PM   #325
TKCR

Next up, will be a Saddle Tan Vinyl Deluxe, with the original foam.
Attached Images