The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2017, 03:20 PM   #1
custom10nut

Am I missing something?

While I was at the Autofair yesterday, I couldn't help but notice the asking prices on the 67-72 trucks that were up for sale. Now, I'm not talking about the show ready trucks, it's the ones that need complete rebuilds, and panels replaced.
8k for a baseline 6/3OT step side?
12.5k for an old BB conversion?
These are only two examples.
Has 12.5k became the new 2k?
I'm beginning to wonder how much I could get for mine?
Not that it will ever happen, but jeez, these prices are getting kinda crazy.
It's makin it a lot more expensive for a little guy to get a second truck.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 03:25 PM   #2
davepl

Re: Am I missing something?

No, the prices you quote are not reflective of the general market. You found two egregious examples perhaps but that's why you don't buy the first truck you find.

There's going to be a lot of garbage advertised expensive because people see Barrett Jackson or similar where a nice truck might sell for a high price and then everyone assumes that their garbage is worth something by extension, but no one has to pay that...

That doesn't mean the Barrett Jackson trucks are overpriced either (some might be), just that a few exceptions from it don't (or shouldn't) drive the general market of salvageable trucks.

At the end of the day trucks are NOT worth what people list them for. They're worth what they sell for. I bought my rust free big-block, bucket-seat, AC truck for $6500. It might be an $8500 truck today (4 years later) but it's not suddenly a $12,000 truck.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 04:16 PM   #3
custom10nut

Agreed. It's just amazing that sometimes these do sell. I paid $2200 for mine, like 24 years ago, but it's got all the original drivetrain and sheet metal, and for the longest time a wood bed with no holes. I'm glad I bought mine when I did and he'd onto it. Being in the military made it interesting when it came to storing and moving it around, but now I'm retired, and I'll always have it in my garage.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:59 PM   #4
LongBox

Another point to consider is that prices vary from region to region. Probably partly due to the way some regions make trucks rust more than in other regions.

When making a decision to buy, my personal opinion is that it is generally better to buy the best example you can find, as it often ends up being cheaper in the long run. This extends to buying a truck all done up, as long as it was done properly. It is hard to get your restoration costs back when selling.

In my area, a good C10 or GMC half ton, with no rust, and in original condition, if you can find one, would be a $10,000 truck, give or take a bit for options and bed length. A short, BB truck with factory AC, very rare around here, would be at least $20K.

-69 GMC 910 Long Box, 350
-98 Chev Silverado 1500, 350 Vortec 4L60e
-08 Mustang GT Convertible
LongBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:19 PM   #5
hewittca

I agree with the above comments, I think you did just stumble across a few trucks that caught the Barrett Jackson syndrome. When I started looking for my truck about two years ago, I was so worried I wouldn't find a good deal because of all the crazy prices I saw. Yes, some of them do get sold for ridiculous prices to people who either don't do their research or don't mind paying a premium. Once I got into looking, I realized that there still are some great trucks out there for decent prices. There still are now, you just have to be patient and ready to jump on a good deal when you find one. For me, I was competing against 3 other guys in my area who are known flippers for these trucks. They would snap up just about every good deal on a truck, but I finally beat them to one!
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:31 PM   #6
68bowtie

looking through the "completed" ebay auctions gives you a pretty good idea of what things are selling for. an even better way is to actually sell a few trucks. fielding calls and haggling with buyers gives you a much different picture than what you see just looking at list prices. there is a lot of hype for these trucks, and a lot of sellers list high. you can't blame them when uninformed buyers are throwing out cash.

10 years ago in my area a nothing fancy "daily driver" swb was going for $4-5k. today the same truck is probably going for $6-7k.

original paint and survivors, now those have really gone up in value, imho that's a different scale altogether due to decreased availability and increased demand.

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:39 AM   #7
El Dorado Jim

you can ask anything you want for something, I bet those trucks went home with the owners....there are still good deals out there, just have to be ready to jump on a good deal when you find one,don't hesitate...I go up to the house and talk to the owner if I see a truck that looks like it has been sitting for awhile,see if they are interested in selling it ,I have gotten some real good deals that way....dont be afraid to ask
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:23 AM   #8
46stude

Doesn't look like anybody has mentioned another root cause of the "problem":
The 'Richard Rawlings Syndrome', I call it. Fast & Loud is a popular TV show. You tune in to the Gas Monkey antics & watch the guy buy a vehicle & you'll see what I mean.

Somebody asks $10K for a vehicle, he offers 2500. They go back & forth for the camera a few times, then they sell said vehicle to him for 4500.

So Joe Blow sees the show & figures he'll sell his vehicle & start way high so he can "haggle" down to what he really wants. And maybe he'll get lucky and find a buyer who'll pay a high amount.

All part of the game.
46stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:57 AM   #9
Coley

Smile Re: Am I missing something?

I agree with most of the comments here...
One thing that I would recommend...is never, ever base any market trend on 'asking prices' displayed on day one mornings at a classic car or truck event.
These are rarely where the market 'lives'.....
As stated most of these go home with their owners or they are sold at prices that the sellers may not want to tell you about.
I can find nice examples of these trucks all day long in the $5-$10k bracket without even looking hard....that is the real market in my opinion.
As for the sellers...well, its a free country ask whatever you want for your vehicle....if you get it, all the more power to you.
All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote