The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2020, 01:33 PM   #1
malc1080

Cool Drop set ups and wheel combos!!

Good morning everyone !

I Have a 1980 c10 and want for ideas in lowering my truck. I would like a leveled drop or a drop and wheel combo that will make the fender sit as close as possible to the wheel and not hide any behind the fender. I currently have a big rake that I don’t like . I’m running belltech 3120 from 71-72 trucks and pretty much stuck with that since that’s how I got the truck and don’t have the money to change them. I don’t know if they cut the springs but I’m pretty low in the front . I have long tube headers with 5in clearance and don’t want to do too low. I was thinking of just buying replacement front springs to raise the front and be at just 3in drop. I was thinking of shackles and hangers from belltech in the back since the truck came with shackles and unfortunately cut a big section of the bed frame. I’m running 255/60/15 in the front and 275/60/15 in the rear. I love side walls so the biggest I will get is 17 or 18 in wheels and maybe 50 series . Any pictures of drops and wheel combos will be a big help. I understand this question has been asked but I would like to see new pictures of members who are still active and not a post from a decade ago.

I will post a truck I saw on the forum. I love the stance and that’s something I would like!

Thank you!
Attached Images

malc1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:30 PM   #2
Loco83

Re: Drop set ups and wheel combos!!

4/5 drop. 15x8 and 15x10's, 245/60 and 295/50 TA's
Attached Images

Loco83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:48 PM   #3
malc1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco83 View Post
A perfect stance! How did accomplish a 5in drop? Flip kit?
Old 05-12-2020, 03:54 PM   #4
malc1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco83 View Post
And I looked up the sizes for your tire and you are running the same height even tho one is 50 and the other is 60 . That’s why you have a nice leveled drop! I need to find same height tires for all 4 corners and replace the different height of the 255/60 and 275/60!
Old 05-12-2020, 04:09 PM   #5
Loco83

Flip kit on the rear.
Loco83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 04:28 PM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc1080 View Post
And I looked up the sizes for your tire and you are running the same height even tho one is 50 and the other is 60 . That’s why you have a nice leveled drop! I need to find same height tires for all 4 corners and replace the different height of the 255/60 and 275/60!
Why? Lot's of people run larger rear tires on non-stock stuff. I've never had a vehicle w/the same size tires front/rear in 37years of driving.

50's, 60's, 70's series are just the sidewall ratio of the tire width. You can mathematically have several different combos that all yield a similar overall height.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 05-13-2020 at 04:38 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 04:50 PM   #7
malc1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Why? Lot's of people run larger rear tires on non-stock stuff. I've never had a vehicle w/the same size tires front/rear in 37years of driving.

50's, 60's, 70's series are just the sidewall ratio of the tire width. You can mathematically have several different combos that all yield a similar overall height.
Mainly because I don’t want different heights throwing off the levelled drop I want to accomplish. That rake I have has to go lol. But something I learned about different combos of ratios giving similar heights . I would run only wider tires in the back and not higher. But everything is a learning experience. I’ll eventually find the right drop and tires!
Old 05-15-2020, 08:36 AM   #8
wixthedog

I run the same set up as Loco pretty much. This picture is 2.5" drop spindles and 2" drop springs in the front and a rear flip kit with 5 leaf packs.

Front is 15x8 with 4" BS and 245/60/15. Rears are 15x10 with 5" BS and 295/50/15.

The front is a little too low for me so I have some 1" drop springs coming in today.
Attached Images

1979 C20 RCLB - 350 - TH350 Auto
wixthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:55 AM   #9
malc1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by wixthedog View Post
I run the same set up as Loco pretty much. This picture is 2.5" drop spindles and 2" drop springs in the front and a rear flip kit with 5 leaf packs.

Front is 15x8 with 4" BS and 245/60/15. Rears are 15x10 with 5" BS and 295/50/15.

The front is a little too low for me so I have some 1" drop springs coming in today.
Thank you so much for replying and helping me out! Would you say your flip kit with 5 packs give it a 6in drop? Hopefully with some more pictures I can decide on just a flip kit or the shackles and hangers.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:56 AM   #10
malc1080

Quote:

Beautiful truck by the way!
Old 05-15-2020, 06:56 PM   #11
wixthedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc1080 View Post
Thank you so much for replying and helping me out! Would you say your flip kit with 5 packs give it a 6in drop? Hopefully with some more pictures I can decide on just a flip kit or the shackles and hangers.
Thank you, these trucks are hard work but worth it when people say nice things about them.

I didn't measure but I would say it went a full 6". My truck has the longer leaf packs of the two and had 8-leaf packs from factory. My original plan was to ditch all but three plus the overloads but I found both packs had multiple cracked leafs and it forced my hand. I was fortunate and found some 5 leaf packs from a Suburban locally for a deal. I did not c-notch but I also do not work the truck very hard. I've hauled 400 pounds of deer corn and did not have any issues and I never even looked at what clearance I had...

I've never had a lowered truck before this one so I went all in (static anyway) and do not regret it at all. You have to be a little more careful when driving since the LCA's hang really low but it's not too bad once you get an eye for it. I knew if I didn't do it the way I did I would regret it and end up doing it over.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:40 PM   #12
TrailerTrash

Quote:

Very very nice.

I really with I would have gone with a flip kit. I wasnt going for more than 4 inches at the time so I did shackles and hangers then scrapped the stock parts. Now I want just another inch or so out back. I am considering removing the overload leaf and rolling with 3 leafs. Also should get some drop shocks it's on factory length right now

'77 C10 350/350 2/4 drop and a mild street engine
TrailerTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:47 PM   #13
malc1080

Quote:
Thank you, these trucks are hard work but worth it when people say nice things about them.

I didn't measure but I would say it went a full 6". My truck has the longer leaf packs of the two and had 8-leaf packs from factory. My original plan was to ditch all but three plus the overloads but I found both packs had multiple cracked leafs and it forced my hand. I was fortunate and found some 5 leaf packs from a Suburban locally for a deal. I did not c-notch but I also do not work the truck very hard. I've hauled 400 pounds of deer corn and did not have any issues and I never even looked at what clearance I had...

I've never had a lowered truck before this one so I went all in (static anyway) and do not regret it at all. You have to be a little more careful when driving since the LCA's hang really low but it's not too bad once you get an eye for it. I knew if I didn't do it the way I did I would regret it and end up doing it over.
I completely understand. these trucks are hard work getting the right stance. My goal is to maybe upgrade to a bigger wheel like a 17in or 18in max and still have that perfect stance.
the c notch is tricky. some do it and some don't. Glad you didn't have to c notch the frame and still be able to haul a lot of weight with no issue. That was my main issue that i didn't want a flip kit to avoid c notch.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:48 PM   #14
malc1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerTrash View Post
Very very nice.

I really with I would have gone with a flip kit. I wasnt going for more than 4 inches at the time so I did shackles and hangers then scrapped the stock parts. Now I want just another inch or so out back. I am considering removing the overload leaf and rolling with 3 leafs. Also should get some drop shocks it's on factory length right now
You have any pictures of just a shackles and hangers? would be a great pic for this thread!
Old 05-15-2020, 10:38 PM   #15
TrailerTrash

Prepare for an eye sore

Western Chassis parts
2 1/2" drop spindles
2" shackles
2" hangers

15x7 front 205/60/15
15x10 rear 295/50/15
Both front and rear are 4.5" backspacing

I really want to drop front and rear one inch.

Old 05-16-2020, 01:11 AM   #16
malc1080

Quote:
Prepare for an eye sore

Western Chassis parts
2 1/2" drop spindles
2" shackles
2" hangers

15x7 front 205/60/15
15x10 rear 295/50/15
Both front and rear are 4.5" backspacing

I really want to drop front and rear one inch.
bro thats one badass truck and stance! you had the drop I wanted to all this time lol.. I want a leveled drop and I think ill be going for 3 / 4 drop since I have the 3in spindles. im afraid if I do a flip kit ill get 6in drop and it will be a reversed rake lol. a 3 / 4 is close enough plus ill be running taller tires too to fill up the fender hopefully. Thanks bro! I just hope it looks like yours and hope the difference in beds dont affect it
Old 05-16-2020, 07:09 AM   #17
TrailerTrash

Thanks man I appreciate it.

When you do the shackles and hangers, taking the bed off makes it pretty easy. You will need to notch one of the beds crossmembers above the shackle so mark it before you remove the bed and you'll be good to go.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:14 AM   #18
wixthedog

Quote:
Very very nice.

You'll definitely drop a little bit, I just hope you had better luck than I did! The crack was not apparent until after I tore them apart, glad I found it when I did though. And of course I found the cracks after I spent the time and effort to remove all 4 bushings and press in new ones!!!

3/8" allen head bolt is what you'll need to bolt it back together, about 2" if I recall.
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2020, 10:01 AM   #19
TrailerTrash

Quote:
You'll definitely drop a little bit, I just hope you had better luck than I did! The crack was not apparent until after I tore them apart, glad I found it when I did though. And of course I found the cracks after I spent the time and effort to remove all 4 bushings and press in new ones!!!

3/8" allen head bolt is what you'll need to bolt it back together, about 2" if I recall.
Oh wow that's something I've never encountered personally. I'm still debating back and forth about it. It would really only cost me for new U bolts and some time

Old 05-16-2020, 02:53 PM   #20
SCOTI

Quote:
Thanks man I appreciate it.

When you do the shackles and hangers, taking the bed off makes it pretty easy. You will need to notch one of the beds crossmembers above the shackle so mark it before you remove the bed and you'll be good to go.
Not always. The trucks w/the shorter 52" leaf springs require the bed support to be clearance. Trucks w/the longer 56" spring don't require it.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 05-16-2020, 03:06 PM   #21
TrailerTrash

Thumbs up Re: Drop set ups and wheel combos!!

Quote:
Not always. The trucks w/the shorter 52" leaf springs require the bed support to be clearance. Trucks w/the longer 56" spring don't require it.
Ah yes I forgot about that.

Old 05-16-2020, 03:16 PM   #22
SCOTI

Quote:
Ah yes I forgot about that.
But.... You are 100% correct about marking things before taking them apart. It gives you the outline for the cuts whether you need them or not.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 05-16-2020, 07:05 PM   #23
TrailerTrash

Quote:
But.... You are 100% correct about marking things before taking them apart. It gives you the outline for the cuts whether you need them or not.
Bingo.

I have used this tire size calculator many many times. It's interesting to mess around with different sizes and how they compare
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc

Old 05-16-2020, 09:03 PM   #24
SCOTI

Quote:
Bingo.

I have used this tire size calculator many many times. It's interesting to mess around with different sizes and how they compare
https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc
I'm a numbers guy. I researched the way the math is done years ago (30+) so I could calculate the numbers myself. I go even further & always target consistency when calculating widths for staggered F/R combos. I do not like a 'pinched' sidewall (too wide of a tire on a given wheel) or an 'empty' wheel opening (too short of a tire within the wheel well opening).

I do use online calculators for gearing decisions, number crunching engine combos, CID's, & power output potential. Very handy tools.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 05-18-2020, 01:52 PM   #25
techsan40

Quote:

Just got the US Wheel Rat Rods. Do you think with a 295/50 and 4" BS it will stick out too far? Or should I go to the 275/60 which would be about the same . I want 295s in the back but don't want them to stick out way far.
Attached Images

Last edited by techsan40; 05-18-2020 at 02:51 PM.
techsan40 is offline   Reply With Quote