The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2007, 07:07 PM   #26
72c10

Re: "rat Rod" ??????

Ive always thought they called them rat rods because they had Big block Rat motors in them..shows what I know...
72c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:33 PM   #27
basketcase

I'm confused. I though a rat rod was an old hot rod built at home from what you could scrounge. It would not have any or very few store or catalog bought parts on it and had an old time look. I guess that you could pay someone to build one for you but how well you fit in with the crowd will depend on your attitude and hot rod interests. Of course I used to think that real bikers rode wherever they went no matter the weather or distance and more than likely slept under the stars at night on the way like we used to when I was younger. Now it seems like a large pecentage, if not a majority of real bikers travel to Sturgis and Daytona in new Suburbans with the choppers in the enclosed traler following along behind.

Tom

Last edited by basketcase; 04-02-2007 at 09:14 PM.
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:56 PM   #28
72 cheyenne pdx

What's a true biker, phycho 71? My dad and his friends have been riding Harley's since the mid-60's. He and his friends, which by the way one of them is a doctor, have been riding together ever since. There are 6 of them. Are they rebels? I have heard stories when they were in their late teens early 20s, but I wouldn't call them rebels. At least every other weekend, they get together and work on each others bike or go for a few hours ride. They dress in their t-shirts and jeans, throw on their chaps and jean or leather jacket, put on a skull protector, and they are off. I consider them true bikers.

Everybody will have there definition of a Rat Rod. My definition of a Rat Rod is a pre-WWII vehicle that is a sleeper. It doesn't look like much, but the motor/trans/suspension/brakes are built. Everything newer than pre-WWII is Rat inspired.
72 cheyenne pdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:11 PM   #29
sighlurr

72c10 - I think you are thinking of Rat Fink...
Attached Images

sighlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:53 PM   #30
breeh
Recovering 67-72 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
Of course I used to think that real bikers rode wherever they went no matter the weather or distance and more than likely slept under the stars at night on the way like we used to when I was younger.
Tom

I don't know if it is correct or not but that is my definition too.

"Friends call me cruzer cuz I like fast cars and fast women"
breeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:43 PM   #31
Litemup
Steel Horse Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsigh View Post
When I think of rat rod, it's gotta be a Ford Model A or B - in the weeds with tall white walls.
I would disagree, and alot of the guys with old mercs and olds would too, everyone kind has there own definition. Most guys around that hold the "traditional" rod shows, don't alow cars after 1950. At least around here.

Quote:
I think newer cars and trucks (50's &60's) can be "rat-rod" inspired.
Very much agree.
Litemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:12 PM   #32
DangerBoy

Depending on who you talk to rat rods are American cars, some say pre '68 some say pre '65, that are customized in the styles popular in the 40's to the 60's. They're built to be driven. There are some shiney ones with lots of chrome and lots of primered and flat black ones and some that do look like cobbled together POS's. And just like us the people that own them love them and build them how they want it. And of course bein the good little greaser I am I couldn't help but add a little rat rod flavor to my '68.
DangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:58 PM   #33
Captain Knievel

for what it's worth: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_rod
Old 04-03-2007, 02:47 AM   #34
GREASEMONKEY72

this is just one of those things were its basically an opinionated deal and we can kick it around all we want and its not gona matter

"Allison" '72 C/10 LWB 350SB/TH350 - DD

PITBULL IS NOT A CRIME
GREASEMONKEY72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:50 AM   #35
unreconstructed1
nec absolutum

I believe one of the things that everyone has missed with the"real" rods and "real" bikers thing is that we all have different opinions on the subject. To me the poser bikers are the guys that trailer theier bikes from oint a to point b then ride a mile or 2 around point b then trailer the thing back. if you own a bike to be seen on a bike , then you are a poser plain and simple. if you bought your bike to ride the thing, and if you do actually do ride the damn thing, then you probably can be called a biker. hot rodders are a little different. I saw some guy a while back ago with a BEAUTIFUL 69 camaro. that being my favorite car, i wanted to find out a little about it (ok, so i just wanted drool a little closer to it) I asked the driver what size engine did it have, to which he replied its got a v-8. ok what size v-8? he honestly looked at me and replied its a 3 something. the guy had owned the car (he said) for a couple of months. if you own a hot rod for months and know less about it than i know about a honda, then you probably aint a "hot-rodder" your just a guy that bought a car cause you saw one in a magazine. A hot rodder wants to know his car inside and out, at least I do. to me thats the difference between someone who is a "real" biker, or hot-rodder, you do it because you love to do it, and not because its fashionable or trendy
unreconstructed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:06 PM   #36
stepn67

It seems that nowadays any vehicle that is shot with with some suede black paint, is shod with red painted steelies and big ass white walls is labeled a "Rat Rod". on the H.A.M.B. forum (a place for traditional, NO Billet rods) anyone using the term "Rat Rods" is instantly shot down. It's just like the name Von Dutch. At one time the name was associated with hot rodding, now it's a clothing line for the trendy who have no idea who the man was.
stepn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:34 PM   #37
raggedjim

To me, if your wife or girlfriend hasn't threatened to "pack her bags and go if you spend ONE more minute with that d@mn (bike, truck, car)" then you may be a poser. If I've heard that once, I've heard it a million times.

She's still here though...

Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:37 PM   #38
Ole Blue 68

Well the thing I don't get is the "patina" paint jobs. If you're cobbling together a rat rod out of some parts you found in a yard; that's cool with me but to actually pay somebody to patina your ride or, even worse, to patina perfectly good body parts just so it has the "look" just doesn't make sense to me.
Ole Blue 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:22 PM   #39
Psycho71

Quote:
Originally Posted by unreconstructed1 View Post
I believe one of the things that everyone has missed with the"real" rods and "real" bikers thing is that we all have different opinions on the subject. To me the poser bikers are the guys that trailer theier bikes from oint a to point b then ride a mile or 2 around point b then trailer the thing back. if you own a bike to be seen on a bike , then you are a poser plain and simple. if you bought your bike to ride the thing, and if you do actually do ride the damn thing, then you probably can be called a biker. hot rodders are a little different. I saw some guy a while back ago with a BEAUTIFUL 69 camaro. that being my favorite car, i wanted to find out a little about it (ok, so i just wanted drool a little closer to it) I asked the driver what size engine did it have, to which he replied its got a v-8. ok what size v-8? he honestly looked at me and replied its a 3 something. the guy had owned the car (he said) for a couple of months. if you own a hot rod for months and know less about it than i know about a honda, then you probably aint a "hot-rodder" your just a guy that bought a car cause you saw one in a magazine. A hot rodder wants to know his car inside and out, at least I do. to me thats the difference between someone who is a "real" biker, or hot-rodder, you do it because you love to do it, and not because its fashionable or trendy

Amen brotha!

If a hammer doesn't fix it, you have an electrical problem!

Slot Cars, 1:24 Scale, 100MPH@100,000RPM, fastest things on wheels!
Psycho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:26 PM   #40
cruisinlow67

Quote:
To me, if your wife or girlfriend hasn't threatened to "pack her bags and go if you spend ONE more minute with that d@mn (bike, truck, car)" then you may be a poser.
what does that have to do with anything? my girlfriend has her own truck she is in the process of bagging and bodydroppin and she hasnt threatened to leave me if i spend more time working on my 67 c10 or my 68 camaro. so does that make me a poser? i dont think so. i think it means that i have a girlfriend thats cool enough to take a shot at building a truck. i would love to know how that makes me a poser. ive been doing this since i was 8 so i guess im a poser?
cruisinlow67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:49 PM   #41
RetroSBK

Rat Rod.... Piece of Sh#T that barely starts, runs, turns or stops. Typically made by some home builder that is supposed to be the "true breed" unlike the poseur that made a decent living and can afford to buy something nice and well done, that is safe and fun to drive.

Also see "guys that swear everyone ELSE is a Poseur, because they are true to the real deal, because they read about it in some book or heard about it from some guy"

And the "new breed of old Skool" that doesnt realize that the cars looked like that "back in the day" because no one could afford to build better cars and there wernt any better parts around."

Someone also said "A true biker? Carries a long chain, doesn't believe in helmets, and is probably an original Hell's Angels member and not one of the "enthusiasts" you see today." Ill call bull**** here... Used to work out with Sonny in San Leandro, and a. never a chain, b. Helmet saved his life, twice, and c. he HATES harleys and everything they stand for, always has. He rides a BMW R1150rt BTW.

A true biker is smart enuf never to even consider getting on some POS harley or chopper, or bobber when the imports do it so much better and any new harley is at least 60% made "overseas" Trust me, I build custom bikes for the Mfg's for a living, and there is more Denso, Enkie, Showa, and Sekki parts on a harley than a Honda.

Will
1970 C10, shortened long bed, Alum Headed full roller 383 (with Victor, 750DP, stainless rockers, behive springs, CNC ported heads) TCI SSF 700R4, 4.10 Posi, Bagged on C-Notch and 2.5 spindles. Air Cond, black out tint, satin black paint, custom interior, rolling low and not so slow...
RetroSBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:50 PM   #42
clay68c10

That patina thing is pretty funny sometimes. I've had people ask how I got my paint to look "like that". I call it a small budget and oxidized paint. I just drive it and dig it. Someday when I can afford paint, I'll paint it.

Run what you brung and don't worry about what someone else calls your ride. If they don't get it, it's because they just don't get it.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:01 PM   #43
Ole Blue 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay68c10 View Post
That patina thing is pretty funny sometimes. I've had people ask how I got my paint to look "like that".
I got an idea Clay! Next time somebody asks you that, charge 'em for your "patina secrets." You'll have enough money for a paint job in no time....
Old 04-03-2007, 11:28 PM   #44
sick69

Quote:
to me thats the difference between someone who is a "real" biker, or hot-rodder, you do it because you love to do it, and not because its fashionable or trendy
I think hits the nail on the head,,,,,,,,the times and styles keep changing but the love of the hobby is what keeps many of us doing it. Some have large budgets to play with,,,,some have to scrounge for every single part they get but the love of the hobby is the point of doing it for most of us.

Someone doing it because its the bling thing to do well,,,,,,,,,,everyone has an opinion about that

I personally have to respect a person that has poured their heart and soul into a project and made it what they want it to be,,,,,even if I am totally disgusted by their vision of the hobby.

Quote:
if your wife or girlfriend hasn't threatened to "pack her bags and go if you spend ONE more minute with that d@mn (bike, truck, car)" then you may be a poser. If I've heard that once, I've heard it a million times.

Many of us have lost many of significant others/wifes/girlfriends to our hobby but thats is sometimes part of life. I have heard it a couple times from my wife but have managed to keep her,,,,somehow?
sick69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:15 AM   #45
NGN

rat rods , something bad @$$ from the fifties and older made from anything that work for that right look . not everyone is an art'tis but when it's done right you got bad @$$ art. now these new style rat rods i see from the sixtie early seventy--- killer , would never think it could be done . ain't it ashame, 60% of the junk on my harley you say is from over seas , that burns my @$$ . well aleast it still says U.S.A. . Thank's , But I know who to trust. BORN-Buy-Die American . alway be a supporter , demend american made. well said sick69.

Last edited by NGN; 04-04-2007 at 01:23 AM.
NGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:04 AM   #46
raggedjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisinlow67 View Post
what does that have to do with anything? my girlfriend has her own truck she is in the process of bagging and bodydroppin and she hasnt threatened to leave me if i spend more time working on my 67 c10 or my 68 camaro. so does that make me a poser? i dont think so. i think it means that i have a girlfriend thats cool enough to take a shot at building a truck. i would love to know how that makes me a poser. ive been doing this since i was 8 so i guess im a poser?
That's why I wrote MAY instead of ARE... I realize there are women who support this hobby, you have one of the rare ones, and should be thankful for that.

I haven't been as lucky and have continued in the face of adversity. That is more the point I was trying to make, continuing to pursue an activity even when everyone around you is down on it. It's not just the girlfriend or wife (and I'm gonna tell you, girlfriends aren't wife's and they don't act like them...), it's the father-in-law who says those old trucks are a waste of time, it's the next door neighbor who complains because there are parts of 3 different trucks in your driveway and on and on... Posers won't weather those things...

Don't get so worked up about what you read on the internet, you will enjoy it more...

Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:49 AM   #47
Ole Blue 68

I feel your pain Rg. My truck is a "money pit" according to my wife. That is, until one of the car's has to go into the shop, our are daughter needs to borrow a car, or we need to haul something, etc., etc.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:09 PM   #48
breeh
Recovering 67-72 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
...it's the next door neighbor who complains because there are parts of 3 different trucks in your driveway and on and on... Posers won't weather those things...
Rg

That is a hilarious and utterly true observation to discrimate posers from the real deal!

"Friends call me cruzer cuz I like fast cars and fast women"
breeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:40 PM   #49
FlatBrokeRacing

This is a very interesting read....
Good valid points from both sides of the fence...

Only one post was made that I wasn't crazy about. (and I will keep it to myself)

Arn't we all here for the love of the "Almighty Truck"
FlatBrokeRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:00 PM   #50
jimmydean

I just like the look. It is the direction my truck has taken, but I am far from "era correct" and my truck will be road worthy and built with safety and reliability in mind.

I also have a bumper sticker that says "It's not what you've bought, it's what you've built". When my truck is done, I will not have done 100% of the work, but my hands will be involved on some level. I have much more appreciation for my own projects that way.

Any fool with deep pockets can write a fat check.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210

Last edited by jimmydean; 04-04-2007 at 03:01 PM.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote