The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2018, 11:55 PM   #1
beanious

Post ARB Locker Question

Anyone else out there running ARB lockers front or rear on a 67-72? This last summer I put one in the 14 bolt rear and next year I plan on installing one in the Dana 60 front.
beanious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:22 AM   #2
kwmech

Re: ARB Locker Question

Soooo, what's the question? Just anybody running an ARB?
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:05 PM   #3
jeffahart

No, but I'm thinking about ditching the Detroit locker in my rear corp 14. I may go ARB, still deciding what to do with it. I will probably keep the front open and not spend any money on the front. If you lock the front you may want to look into 35 spline outers. If I were wheeling heavy enough to need a full locker in the front I would up grade my stub shafts and get some Yukon hubs or drive flanges. Then again, if you're just getting the locker for insurance, then I guess it doesn't matter, or spend the bucks on a winch.

j
Old 10-29-2018, 12:27 PM   #4
beanious

Kwmech, I guess I'm just looking for people to bounce ideas off. It all started with living 20 minutes from the start of the Rubicon In normal day to day life there is absolutely no need for lockers. Also the main majority of people running lockers either have a jeep or a Toyota. I'm looking for what people have done in the past with mounting the auxillury items, compressors, tanks, winches, rocker switches, etc.
beanious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:35 PM   #5
kwmech

I have an air system for my suburban, but not going with air lockers. For the rear 14 bolt ff I bought a tru-trac and for the front 60 I am going to try a power-loc. I had the power-loc sitting around collecting dust, so I am buying a clutch kit and rebuilding it. Just have to find a front dana 60 chevy. Running the 10 bolt for now....open. My last suburban I had an ARB in the front and the stock gov-loc in the rear (14b/d60 combo). I felt the ARB was a waste of money, b'cuz over the 4 years I had it, I think I engaged it maybe 4-5 times. The suburbans wheel fantastic with their weight and wheel base.

Edit, now my wrecker was another issue, 14b rear dually with a detroit locker and D60 front ARB. used that quite often.

Last edited by kwmech; 10-29-2018 at 09:41 PM.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:53 PM   #6
outfield

My 69 K20 has a no-spin rear axle, it works great up in the hills, even on the steepest grades I leave it in 2wd. It is noisy on the street. I'm real careful when driving in snow.
I have run ARB air lockers in my last two trail rigs, CJ5 and in the Defender I have now. These are the best, as you stated, no need for lockers most of the time, but when needed they are there.
They come with a switch panel that would be easy to mount to the bottom of the steel dash. On my CJ, i mounted the compressor on a home made plate next to the battery tray, I used the tray for some of the support, and had one stabilizing bar. I am using the small compressor too, I have a larger one for airing up tires.
Make sure to carefully route the air lines, keep them away from any heat. I wrapped the air lines on the Rover with plastic conduit for extra protection.
Hope this helps a bit!
outfield is offline   Reply With Quote