The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2024, 11:47 AM   #1
OneBad71

power steering box

Hello, I hope i'm in the correct area for this question.
I have a 71 C10 and was wondering if anyone recently has puschased a new power steering box for their truck. Brand ? Source ? recommendations ?
Feedback ? Thank you, Dan
OneBad71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 12:04 PM   #2
hewittca

Re: power steering box

I recently installed a BBB Industries box that I purchased from Rock Auto. It is the later style with the metric o-ring fittings because I was doing an LS swap. It also has the variable ratio gearing. Overall the box is decent for a reasonably priced stock style unit. I've tried other boxes in the past that were no good including Cardone and SKP. Most of these boxes are rebuilt cores and sometimes you just get a bad one.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 12:11 PM   #3
OneBad71

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
I recently installed a BBB Industries box that I purchased from Rock Auto. It is the later style with the metric o-ring fittings because I was doing an LS swap. It also has the variable ratio gearing. Overall the box is decent for a reasonably priced stock style unit. I've tried other boxes in the past that were no good including Cardone and SKP. Most of these boxes are rebuilt cores and sometimes you just get a bad one.
Thanks, I will check it out. I'm running a BB motor on mine. I've never heard of BBB Industries ?
Old 03-28-2024, 12:53 PM   #4
Dashman

I would recommend the upgrade to o-ring style as well, and the steering pump to match. What about Borgeson? IDK, but maybe they offer a warranty? ..and they have hoses and other accessories.

https://www.borgeson.com/
Dashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 01:56 PM   #5
truckster

I just installed a Redhead box and it's really nice. Redhead goes through them and re-machines them so you get really tight steering.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:06 PM   #6
OneBad71

Thanks for the above replies.
I'm not familiar with the O ring setup ?
I have a new CVF power steering pump that came with the front end kit I
ordered when I bought my Blueprint BB.
Not sure if this plays into it, but I plan on going with a Hydro Boost system ( any recommendations ? ) as the motor isn't producing enough vacumn pressure.
I had thought the Redhead box was new, not rebuilt ?
How about the CPP box ?
Old 03-28-2024, 07:35 PM   #7
Dashman

The hose fitting ports will be O-ring style versus flared. I'm not familiar with CVF steering pumps, but it may already have an O-ring style pressure port. If you upgrade to a hydroboost unit, it will have O-ring style ports. Currently, you may have an adapter pressure hose that is O-ring style at the steering pump, and flared hose fittings at the steering box. Unless someone changed your gear box in the past to an '80 to '87 model.
Dashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 09:21 PM   #8
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Smile Re: power steering box

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I just installed a Redhead box and it's really nice. Redhead goes through them and re-machines them so you get really tight steering.
we install a lot of these at work and had good success with them.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 11:36 PM   #9
Smitty

Had the same problem with my new crate motor. Inadequate vacuum. Got the CPP hydra boost Kit through Summit. Which I would recommend because if there are any issues they take care of you. CPP doesn't respond. Am running a Red Head steering box and am really satisfied with it. Personally in the future I would avoid CPP if possible. Because Customer Service is one thing they don’t provide with their products.

Last edited by Smitty; 03-29-2024 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Addition
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 09:46 AM   #10
71 super

I have used Redhead on my 72 4x4- great product!!, Bought a 69 GMC with CPP unit- would not use or give it to someone i hated, absolute junk! and the Borgsen 12:1 unit I used on a customers truck as well as one of my own is top notch.

Sooo... Redhead and Borgsen excellent choices, CPP is junk with no customer service- still waiting on call back (its been a year).
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 10:33 AM   #11
OneBad71

Thanks again.
Looks like i'll look for the Redhead brand.
Anyone have a vendor who carries them ?
Honestly on the CVF pump, i'm not sure about the hose hook up ?
I have what was called a rebuilt box I got back in 2010. I'm at a point where
I am not sure I want to get everything together then risk problems with it.
So I just want to get a box I feel comfortable with, since it going to get plumbed for the Hydro boost system and am hoping everything goes smooth ?
As far as CPP, I agree , I have tried calling them and they aren't the best at customer service.
I will check Summit for their Hydro boost (cpp) .
Any other ones out there for our trucks ?
Appreciate all the help.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:58 PM   #12
Smitty

I got my Red Head steering box directly from them. Quick and painless.They charge for a core. But you can put your old one back in their box and return it. As far as the Hydra Boost system I ordered the CLP-6772HJBKSB. It is for the 71-72 disc/drum set up. CPP claimed this was for those years. When I got it and it was being installed. The kit was missing an adapter for one of the brake lines. Couldn't get a response from CCP. At this time I contacted Summit and they shipped me the adapter kit, CLP-45045. Once installed they work as good as any late model car. Takes a little getting used to. But is nice to stop s toy with all the money invested.
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 03:36 PM   #13
HO455
Post Whore

i have a a Lares box on my Burban that I got through Summit at their recommendation. Lares was very helpful in identifying the box the PO had installed. I also have a Redhead box on my S10. Both have been without problems.

One thing to consider is that none of the currently available pressure hoses are correct for our trucks. They will fit but you have to either modify the inner fender well or significantly reshape the hard line where it attaches to the box. If you stay with the flared line box you can have your old line rebuild at a hydraulic shop and avoid the issue.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 03:51 PM   #14
Mendo70C20

I have a 1970 Chevy K20, and i'm running a Redhead for the next gen model. Looks and bolts up the same, but has a heavier valving which gives the steering a more "truck like" feel. The Redhead steering box for my year felt like it had too much power steering , if that makes sense. I was told they did that back then so that the trucks felt more luxurious, and easier to turn. I found that the cheapest place to get it was Dales Super Store. They just have it drop shipped from Redhead. As far as a motor not making enough vacuum , just add a vacuum canister. Thats what i did for my 383 stroker. Way cheaper that doing hydroboost.
Mendo70C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 04:23 PM   #15
OneBad71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
I got my Red Head steering box directly from them. Quick and painless.They charge for a core. But you can put your old one back in their box and return it. As far as the Hydra Boost system I ordered the CLP-6772HJBKSB. It is for the 71-72 disc/drum set up. CPP claimed this was for those years. When I got it and it was being installed. The kit was missing an adapter for one of the brake lines. Couldn't get a response from CCP. At this time I contacted Summit and they shipped me the adapter kit, CLP-45045. Once installed they work as good as any late model car. Takes a little getting used to. But is nice to stop s toy with all the money invested.
Thank you
Old 03-29-2024, 04:24 PM   #16
OneBad71

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
i have a a Lares box on my Burban that I got through Summit at their recommendation. Lares was very helpful in identifying the box the PO had installed. I also have a Redhead box on my S10. Both have been without problems.

One thing to consider is that none of the currently available pressure hoses are correct for our trucks. They will fit but you have to either modify the inner fender well or significantly reshape the hard line where it attaches to the box. If you stay with the flared line box you can have your old line rebuild at a hydraulic shop and avoid the issue.
Thank you
Old 03-29-2024, 04:31 PM   #17
OneBad71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo70C20 View Post
I have a 1970 Chevy K20, and i'm running a Redhead for the next gen model. Looks and bolts up the same, but has a heavier valving which gives the steering a more "truck like" feel. The Redhead steering box for my year felt like it had too much power steering , if that makes sense. I was told they did that back then so that the trucks felt more luxurious, and easier to turn. I found that the cheapest place to get it was Dales Super Store. They just have it drop shipped from Redhead. As far as a motor not making enough vacuum , just add a vacuum canister. Thats what i did for my 383 stroker. Way cheaper that doing hydroboost.
Thank you, I haven't heard about a vacumn canister ? I'll check out Summit on what they have. I would really like to go old school without the Hydro Boost, it would be a saving going that way ? Do you recall what you used ? Where does it mount ? If you have any pictures , that would be great.
Old 03-29-2024, 04:36 PM   #18
72SB

regarding low vacuum from camed (often crate) motors. My BPE 355 made 16hg but in gear 14. With the single diaphragm booster brakes were not great.

Bought a dual diaphragm from Tuff Stuff (got it on Amazon) and now brakes will throw you through the windshield.

Something to consider vs hydraboost.
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 05:32 PM   #19
OneBad71

Hey Guys appreciate all the feedback. But i'll be honest I don't know what to do ?
I know I want to change out my Steering box and possibly go the Hydro boost route ?
I have a Summit racing store an hour away which is nice.
On the Steering box i'm siding with Borgeson as it is a new unit and Summit has it. It doesn't look like a core is required.
On the Hydro system, there are so many different ones out there? CPP, POL, Right stuff detailing and ? I don't doubt they are all made in China by the same company lol. Summit carries the Right Stuff ones. Like all of use, I want to do it one time and be done with it.
This project has consumed way to much time and money, and i'm really tring to just get it done. I tried researching vacumn canisters and such, but not a lot of possitive responses ? Sorry for boring everyone with my problems. Just needing help. Thanks again
Old 03-29-2024, 07:37 PM   #20
Mendo70C20

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBad71 View Post
Thank you, I haven't heard about a vacumn canister ? I'll check out Summit on what they have. I would really like to go old school without the Hydro Boost, it would be a saving going that way ? Do you recall what you used ? Where does it mount ? If you have any pictures , that would be great.
I'll try and get a photo of it. Attached is the link to Summit racing where i got it. I'm surprised how many people don't know about adding a vacuum can, to help with applications that produce low vacuum.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-5200
Old 03-29-2024, 08:11 PM   #21
Mendo70C20

Here ya go.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2024, 10:23 PM   #22

I have the borgenson unit and like the red head, it’s a well made unit. They both have been out for several years now, so along with mostly positive feed back I think either one is a solid choice. I got mine from summit. The ratio is in line with a rack and pinion set up. If you are use to a stock style box, it’s a big change as not a lot of steering wheel movement is needed. One thing I would like you to look at comes from mp brakes. It’s a rotary vane electric pump. It mounts to your frame and it supplies any needed vacuum to your booster. Go to their web site and you will learn more including a video of how to hook it up along with how quiet it is. If you are leaning toward keeping a booster, then a dual with this setup should be more than enough to get the job done. Whatever you decide I hope you will let everyone know and your thought process. Stay away from cpp at all cost. They are a complete waste of your time and money.
3767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 10:59 AM   #23
OneBad71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo70C20 View Post
Here ya go.
MendoC20, Thanks for the reply and pics. I will check that out.
Old 03-30-2024, 11:01 AM   #24
OneBad71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3767 View Post
I have the borgenson unit and like the red head, it’s a well made unit. They both have been out for several years now, so along with mostly positive feed back I think either one is a solid choice. I got mine from summit. The ratio is in line with a rack and pinion set up. If you are use to a stock style box, it’s a big change as not a lot of steering wheel movement is needed. One thing I would like you to look at comes from mp brakes. It’s a rotary vane electric pump. It mounts to your frame and it supplies any needed vacuum to your booster. Go to their web site and you will learn more including a video of how to hook it up along with how quiet it is. If you are leaning toward keeping a booster, then a dual with this setup should be more than enough to get the job done. Whatever you decide I hope you will let everyone know and your thought process. Stay away from cpp at all cost. They are a complete waste of your time and money.
3767, Thanks for the reply. I will check mp out. I'm am staying away from cpp
Old 04-01-2024, 10:52 AM   #25
OneBad71

Morning, I just wanted to add some info I found doing some research.
I found a company Leeds Brake that makes complete power brake kits for our trucks that bolt on. Summit carries them. I also found and watched numerous videos on a Leeds Electric brake vacumn pump (summit cares it too) . Looks like an easy two wire hook up and one hose to the diaphram. It bumps the brake vacuum up to 25 lbs of pressure. It looks like a vacuum canister but has an electric pump in the housing that you mount. So far it looks pretty good and you don't have to run a Hydro boost system and tie into the PS box and pump.
Right now i'm siding that way.
Has anyone used one ? or the Leeds products ?
Thanks again,
Dan