The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2021, 10:16 AM   #101
72c20customcamper

Re: new GM logo

I've used the truck as a skidder before when I dont have the kubota with me. Get into some tight places broken a couple of mirrors in the process. Few dents too
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:20 PM   #102
MAC71Cheyenne

Just wondering what a rendering of the logo looks like in Chinese characters? Be more appropriate considering they own GM...humbug!
MAC71Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:30 PM   #103
1976gmc20

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I use a regular cab long bed when I need to haul a full load w/o a trailer. The Suburban fills the need that has people buying long crewcabs. But I often take the 'Burb and trailer into the woods for firewood. The best thing is is a tractor with loader bucket to take to the the truck in a clear area. I know you know logging. It's like the skidder to yarder thing

Trailer is loaded with black locust. Picture is as I'm leaving the woods. The Suburban really impressed me that day
Around here it's not flat, and some of the places I've gotten wood I could barely get the x-cab long bed turned around, let alone get any sort of trailer in and out of there. Couple years ago I bought a semi load and had it dumped in the sagebrush, so heck yeah I could use my trailer behind most anything to get the cut up blocks to the house. Hardest part would be getting the trailer spotted to unload in the yard as it's all perched on the side of a hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
I've used the truck as a skidder before when I dont have the kubota with me. Get into some tight places broken a couple of mirrors in the process. Few dents too
Back when we first moved out here from town, I would use my old Case tractor to skid out logs. Actually I did just like we did logging Montana style, and dragged whole trees out to a slash pile where I limbed them, decked the logs in a separate pile, and pushed up the branches and tops into the slash pile with the front loader. It leaves the forest really clean that way. But then the county got pissy about burning and I refuse to play their games. And I would still have to go down with a pickup or trailer and cut up and load the wood to bring to the yard.

So finally I decided it was simpler to just cut up everything where I dropped it and load it into the pickup. Also by then I was cutting more scattered trees instead of thinning out for fuel mitigation. Sometimes I wish I had a little boom or tower with a winch rigged up off of a hitch receiver just to drag logs up a bank to the pickup before cutting them up. There's a couple blown down trees that are just going to have to rot where they lie because I'm not going to carry blocked wood up that bluff! A short bed compact pickup might be able to be worked around the point on the ledge, but if you screw up then you're going off a cliff.

The mechanization I'm sad to say just doesn't pay off unless you're doing it commercially (and maybe not then either!). I could buy wood or propane or electric for the rest of my life and spend less than the investment into the toys. Yeah, a Kubota can be used for other things but I don't need to roll it up on a hill and kill myself. Farm type tractors aren't really meant for logging on steep ground.

I won't say I've never dragged a log with a pickup but I don't make a habit of it. I did actually do a little thinning job for somebody with a CJ5 for a skidder!
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 06:38 PM   #104
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 View Post
Around here it's not flat, and some of the places I've gotten wood I could barely get the x-cab long bed turned around, let alone get any sort of trailer in and out of there. Couple years ago I bought a semi load and had it dumped in the sagebrush, so heck yeah I could use my trailer behind most anything to get the cut up blocks to the house. Hardest part would be getting the trailer spotted to unload in the yard as it's all perched on the side of a hill.

Back when we first moved out here from town, I would use my old Case tractor to skid out logs. Actually I did just like we did logging Montana style, and dragged whole trees out to a slash pile where I limbed them, decked the logs in a separate pile, and pushed up the branches and tops into the slash pile with the front loader. It leaves the forest really clean that way. But then the county got pissy about burning and I refuse to play their games. And I would still have to go down with a pickup or trailer and cut up and load the wood to bring to the yard.

So finally I decided it was simpler to just cut up everything where I dropped it and load it into the pickup. Also by then I was cutting more scattered trees instead of thinning out for fuel mitigation. Sometimes I wish I had a little boom or tower with a winch rigged up off of a hitch receiver just to drag logs up a bank to the pickup before cutting them up. There's a couple blown down trees that are just going to have to rot where they lie because I'm not going to carry blocked wood up that bluff! A short bed compact pickup might be able to be worked around the point on the ledge, but if you screw up then you're going off a cliff.

The mechanization I'm sad to say just doesn't pay off unless you're doing it commercially (and maybe not then either!). I could buy wood or propane or electric for the rest of my life and spend less than the investment into the toys. Yeah, a Kubota can be used for other things but I don't need to roll it up on a hill and kill myself. Farm type tractors aren't really meant for logging on steep ground.

I won't say I've never dragged a log with a pickup but I don't make a habit of it. I did actually do a little thinning job for somebody with a CJ5 for a skidder!
Dragging logs like this into the trailer ? Lol
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 06:59 PM   #105
1976gmc20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Dragging logs like this into the trailer ? Lol
Some friends and I up in Alaska got a permit to cut some house logs on state land. We rented a JD350 from another friend and hauled the logs home on the flatbed trailer for the dozer. I skidded the logs down to the trailer and rolled them up on the trailer with the dozer blade using some big poles for ramps. Seems like we also parked the trailer where there was a raised bank on one side.

Our loads were about that size, but all 20' long spruce logs. The trailer of course didn't have any sides. In fact I think the bed was over the tires so there were no fenders. This was something like 42 years ago so it's a little hazy now.

I've tried just about every methodology at one time or another
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote