The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2020, 05:27 PM   #1
FAKKY

tube bending

Want a metal tube bender that can do at least 1/2 inch stock
But

Flat
Solid
DOM tubing

All metal types (SS etc)

Anyone have experience with this style ?

https://www.harborfreight.com/compac...MaApipEALw_wcB

I know it will work well for solid ....... not sure about pipe ?

Whos got the 411 on experience here
Old 12-04-2020, 08:29 PM   #2
muddstir

Re: tube bending

I have the tractor supply version of that compact bender and it does a real good job with round and flat stock.

(I mainly bend 3/8 dia rod or smaller but have done some 1/2 on it. I usually bend the rod around the center pivot bolt for a nice sharp bend and I mainly only have to bend a 90* or less of an angle on the rod. AND for the flat stock I've done a lot of 3/4in wide x 3/16 thick but I have done some 2in wide x 3/16 thick with no issues and real good results - when I bend the flat stock I use the big solid round die, and most of the time I bend it to 180* .)

-I've never bent square stock but I'd say it would bend fine.
- when I do my bending I use a pair of vicegrips and clamp the material to the one square die that is suspost the lock the material in place. I do that so when I have to stop the bending action to reposition myself to finish the bend the material can't move.

Tubing
I'd recommend the jd2 model 32 bender. It's a little pricey but it makes some of the cleanest looking bends I've seen on tube from a manual bender. The smaller dies can bend solid rod and if you get certain centerline radius dies it can do some real thin walled material. They also offer metric sizes and square dies in all different sizes. There 180* dies will bend tube to 180* too. Only downfall is the dies are pricey and you have to buy different dies for each sizes, styles, and radius.

I did what most people do, I wanted to bend thin wall tube and liked the jd2 tube bender but didn't want to spend all that $ so I bought the hf pipe bender and thought that i could make it bend tube. Nope it just kinks it. Then I tried to pack the tube full of sand - it worked better but still would kink it. Then I bought the milter brothers manual tube bender years back cuz it was cheaper. Was not impressed with it, it wouldn't bend the wall thickness they recommend and the dies were aluminum. After a couple of bends the dies had all kinds of wear marks so I quit using it and spent the money and bought the jd2
muddstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:16 PM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

I want one of those too.

Word of warning or caution. Depending on how you garage set up is just don't sink concrete anchors, and call it a day. Driveways are not always 6" of high psi test concrete. Something like 3" is considered normal from what I have been told.

I ripped out the anchors on a friend's garage pulling on 1.5" dom. Which ruined the fun.

Personally I plan to dig a hole, and sink in a reinforced mounting position. Exactly how I have not determined due to not having one yet.

Others have bolted or welded the base to a large sheet of 3/8 metal which you stand on when you bend the pipe.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:14 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I love my JD2....but I modified it with a air over hyd cyl and turned it vertical...makes it much easier for 1 person to use...mounted it to a stand with wheels...no need to anchor it down..and I can put it anywhere..
I've bent 1-3/4 .120 wall tube..never even strained...
Dies are what gets expensive...I've got a bunch of round and square dies..
Attached Images

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 05:42 PM   #5
FAKKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddstir View Post
I have the tractor supply version of that compact bender and it does a real good job with round and flat stock.

(I mainly bend 3/8 dia rod or smaller but have done some 1/2 on it. I usually bend the rod around the center pivot bolt for a nice sharp bend and I mainly only have to bend a 90* or less of an angle on the rod. AND for the flat stock I've done a lot of 3/4in wide x 3/16 thick but I have done some 2in wide x 3/16 thick with no issues and real good results - when I bend the flat stock I use the big solid round die, and most of the time I bend it to 180* .)

-I've never bent square stock but I'd say it would bend fine.
- when I do my bending I use a pair of vicegrips and clamp the material to the one square die that is suspost the lock the material in place. I do that so when I have to stop the bending action to reposition myself to finish the bend the material can't move.

Tubing
I'd recommend the jd2 model 32 bender. It's a little pricey but it makes some of the cleanest looking bends I've seen on tube from a manual bender. The smaller dies can bend solid rod and if you get certain centerline radius dies it can do some real thin walled material. They also offer metric sizes and square dies in all different sizes. There 180* dies will bend tube to 180* too. Only downfall is the dies are pricey and you have to buy different dies for each sizes, styles, and radius.

I did what most people do, I wanted to bend thin wall tube and liked the jd2 tube bender but didn't want to spend all that $ so I bought the hf pipe bender and thought that i could make it bend tube. Nope it just kinks it. Then I tried to pack the tube full of sand - it worked better but still would kink it. Then I bought the milter brothers manual tube bender years back cuz it was cheaper. Was not impressed with it, it wouldn't bend the wall thickness they recommend and the dies were aluminum. After a couple of bends the dies had all kinds of wear marks so I quit using it and spent the money and bought the jd2
Thanks - thats what I was worried about on it kinking on tubing.
Cant justify the jd2 ...... each die is like $200

Was then thinking about trying to build one ......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFBaxzzErnM

but
Old 12-05-2020, 05:43 PM   #6
FAKKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
I want one of those too.

Word of warning or caution. Depending on how you garage set up is just don't sink concrete anchors, and call it a day. Driveways are not always 6" of high psi test concrete. Something like 3" is considered normal from what I have been told.

I ripped out the anchors on a friend's garage pulling on 1.5" dom. Which ruined the fun.

Personally I plan to dig a hole, and sink in a reinforced mounting position. Exactly how I have not determined due to not having one yet.

Others have bolted or welded the base to a large sheet of 3/8 metal which you stand on when you bend the pipe.
Good tip on the securing ....... hadnt even thought of that yet
Old 12-05-2020, 05:47 PM   #7
FAKKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
I love my JD2....but I modified it with a air over hyd cyl and turned it vertical...makes it much easier for 1 person to use...mounted it to a stand with wheels...no need to anchor it down..and I can put it anywhere..
I've bent 1-3/4 .120 wall tube..never even strained...
Dies are what gets expensive...I've got a bunch of round and square dies..
Dang thats nice

Yeah havent found anywhere that sells cheaper dies .....

I kinda of like this gear and bearing setup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nypwrKO3bY0
Old 12-05-2020, 06:00 PM   #8
joedoh

I had a JD2 for years, several sets of dies. other friends used it more than me. never really needed it.

my advice is to find a friend who has the bender you need and borrow it. if you use it often, make an offer on it, he may be tired of dusting it.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 02:53 PM   #9
FAKKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
I had a JD2 for years, several sets of dies. other friends used it more than me. never really needed it.

my advice is to find a friend who has the bender you need and borrow it. if you use it often, make an offer on it, he may be tired of dusting it.
Wish I had those kinda friends.
My buddies are into completely different things ........