The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2021, 08:20 PM   #1
texxxan

Wiring TBI coil in 1984 C10

I have a 1984 C10 that came with a 305 and 700R4. I just installed a 350 TBI from a 1991 C1500. I used a harness from PFISYS. My question is how do I wire in the coil? I know the white wire is for a tac but I’m not sure where to wire in the pink wire. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
texxxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:55 PM   #2
notsolo

Re: Wiring TBI coil in 1984 C10

This is 93 5.7.....Howell harness, slightly different because it uses all the original components.....Looks like the pink wire, that usually is pluged into cap of large distributer was spliced to go to the plug in the coil...not sure about the white wire.....hope that helps....would like to know how yours runs, I got the kit from Pfisys for my 71 with the big distributor and it runs but not up to par.
Attached Images

notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 10:57 PM   #3
texxxan

Ok. Thank you for answering. I have that wire unused so I will splice into it. I only bought the harness and computer from them. I bought a rebuilt TBI motor complete with accessories. I switched the accessories to the vortec style serpentine system. The AC side has given me problems because of the valve covers but I’m making it work. I will let you know as soon as I start it and get it running.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:58 PM   #4
texxxan

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
This is 93 5.7.....Howell harness, slightly different because it uses all the original components.....Looks like the pink wire, that usually is pluged into cap of large distributer was spliced to go to the plug in the coil...not sure about the white wire.....hope that helps....would like to know how yours runs, I got the kit from Pfisys for my 71 with the big distributor and it runs but not up to par.
I used the stock distributor wire for my coil and wired everything else up. It started on the very first try. I only let it run for 3 seconds because I don’t have a radiator yet. It comes in tomorrow. That and I need to take it to the exhaust shop to quiet it down some. I checked my fuel lines for leaks and found none. I can’t wait for the exhaust and radiator so I can drive it. I will let you know how that goes this weekend. I will also take some pictures of the engine bay and post it.
Old 01-29-2021, 07:38 AM   #5
notsolo

Good to hear it run, for sure. I tracked my problem to vacuum leak, again. Tbi is a nice upgrade, turn the key wait 2 seconds fires right up.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:21 AM   #6
texxxan

[QUOTE=notsolo;8871562]Good to hear it run, for sure. I tracked my problem to vacuum leak, again. Tbi is a nice upgrade, turn the key wait 2 seconds fires right up.[/QUOTE

Everything was done with the exception of the exhaust. I took it out on a test drive with open headers and the transmission wouldn't shift out of first gear. It is a rebuilt 700R4. The transmission shop is going to repair this and then off to exhaust. I hate the delay, but I want it to run right for a very long time. I will update on the way she runs as soon as it completely done.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:34 PM   #7
texxxan

I drove it home from the exhaust/transmission shop. I had them put in my new transmission again and new dual exhaust. She is running decent, but I do need to iron out some bugs. I can tell the timing needs to be set. I will check for vacuum leaks as well. Overall, I’m happy with fuel injection. I will work on these things this weekend and update again.
Old 02-10-2021, 04:30 PM   #8
Wwes

Good work, if you see my build you'll see I did the same thing to an 83.
Did you speak with Kevin at PFISYS?

They've got a fantastic product, I've spoke with him a number of times and while I went a different route, they've got the best "bang for the buck" TBI system out there.

Make certain you've got the Throttle Control Valve cable hooked up from your transmission to the throttle body. It controls line pressures in the 700-R4 and you'll burn it up quickly if it's missing.
Wwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 04:43 PM   #9
texxxan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwes View Post
Good work, if you see my build you'll see I did the same thing to an 83.
Did you speak with Kevin at PFISYS?

They've got a fantastic product, I've spoke with him a number of times and while I went a different route, they've got the best "bang for the buck" TBI system out there.

Make certain you've got the Throttle Control Valve cable hooked up from your transmission to the throttle body. It controls line pressures in the 700-R4 and you'll burn it up quickly if it's missing.
Thank you, I spoke with Kevin when I initially purchased the harness and computer. I haven't spoke to him since. He is a friendly person and did say I can call him with questions. The transmission shop set up my cable and it appears to be set correct. I'm looking forward to setting my timing. I will do it Friday when I'm off work.