The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2016, 01:58 PM   #1
BaroneDog

Missing rear tranny cross member???

Hoping someone out there can help answer this question: Should there be a rear tranny cross member support on a 4 speed muncie in a 1967 stepside? I started stripping the motor down to pull it with the tranny and noticed that the tranny was only supported by means of the bell housing (tranny bolted to bell housing and bell housing supported by cross member). This is my first manual tranny 67-72 truck, so not sure what to expect. Seems like the tranny would be better served with additional support in the rear. See attached photo of current setup. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Attached Images

BaroneDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:10 PM   #2
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Missing rear tranny cross member???

Supported at the bell housing from the frame. Transmission just hangs there.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:18 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

It is just fine as it is. That is no different than the SM420 that was in there originally.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:10 PM   #4
BaroneDog

Thanks for the confirmation. Still seems strange to me just seeing the rear of the tranny just hanging out in the breeze, but I guess that is how they do it in this application. I am swapping the motor out from the 327 that was in there to a 383 with about 400 HP and ft-lbs. Hope the extra torque does not strain that setup too much and break something. Does anyone ever fab a second rear crossmember to reinforce and support higher power/toque applications?
Old 12-11-2016, 12:35 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Adding a third crossmember could do more harm than good by creating a stress/binding situation. If you are worried about it, remove the bellhousing crossmember and install a trans crossmember.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 08:31 PM   #6
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Agree with Fab man (Captain)......You dont need , or want the 3rd mount......I ran several M-21 muncie 's, hanging on that bell. I did not break one of them Longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....

Last edited by crazy longhorn; 12-11-2016 at 08:33 PM. Reason: missed word
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:32 PM   #7
BaroneDog

Great, thanks for the confirmation. I will now try to focus on deciding which type of engine I want to pair with the tranny. Everytime I think I decide, then I change my mind!
Old 12-12-2016, 10:29 PM   #8
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

One thing that I will add....it wont be a problem on the 67 bell, but the center hole size changes, in the 68 yr. IIRC, 4 11/16, vs 5 1/8 inches. If you have the later bell, you can have a machined ring pressed onto the front bearing retainer......it should be a snug fit (.002), on the fit on the center hole, on the bell. Longhorn
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote