The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #26
63burban
Chevy addict

Re: electric fan vs shroud

Make sure to flush the block, heater core and radiator. I made a shroud out of two chrome half shrouds and tied them to a Speedway aluminum radiator. Make sure the fan blade is half in and half out of the shroud so it can dissipate the air/heat. Defiantly 180 thermostat. My 63 will run 180 cruising in heavy traffic at 95 degrees, never fluctuates. No ac.

My 56 Chevy Belair has vintage AC with a desert cooler 4 core and electric auxiliary fan. Several time a summer I need to blow out the fins of the radiator even with a screen behind the grill. This is one of the most overlooked things to do. Dust and dirt accumulate in the fins of the radiator and restrict the flow.
Before I installed the ac it ran fine with an aluminum flex fan an inch from the radiator, the addition of the condenser made a difference on hot days. There are days in heavy traffic when I reach down and hit the switch for the electric fan before the temp gauge rises, runs 180 with the ac on. I have no room for a shroud on this car.
Was just at Back to the 50s and had some cooling problems, when I got home I was surprised at what I blew out of the radiator and condenser with compressed air and like I said, I have a screen tied to the back of the grill which was full of bugs and debris.
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #27
OldTrucksRule

I have a 502 HO crate motor in my lifted '65 4x4 Chevy. I got it a few years ago and immediately changed out the stock Harrison radiator with a BeCool and aFlexolite Extreme S blade fan with the included shroud that completely covered the radiator. Did fine during the winters here in SoCal but I could not drive it up a grade during the summer without it hitting over 205-210 and even hotter when driving in the local mountains. Finally took it to a local 4x4 mechanic who had metal fab equipment and had a custom three row radiator made. Full metal shroud with the mechanical fan. Drove it the last few days here in the south when it has been 110 and the temp barely rose above 180 which is the thermostat I am using. Also have the auto trans cooler on a separate cooler since I don't have to worry about cold weather driving. Preeety happy with it right now.
Attached Images

Last edited by OldTrucksRule; 06-30-2013 at 07:39 PM. Reason: want to add pic
OldTrucksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by '63GENIII View Post
I had a hard time keeping my truck cool before I had a shroud too. I went elect. and that didn't work. I tow approx. 8k of stuff to the lake during the summer mos. when it can get real warm. It took me a long time to take everyone's advice but I got a stock repro shroud, a 6 blade oem fan and clutch. Running a stock 4 core brass radiator with a 190 deg. t-stat. (I like the engine to run a little warmer). I've run this truck up around Sacramento area, sitting in traffic, 105+ deg. days and have NEVER had an issue. No pinging, dieseling ect. Before the shroud however, I couldn't even run to the corner store two blocks away without boiling over. I'm not saying it's for everyone, but the factory setup worked for me. When it starts getting warm, you really hear the fan kicking in. It can be a little annoying but way less annoying than wondering if you're gonna overheat on a hot day.
where did you get your fan shroud from?
1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #29
OldTrucksRule

I found an old school shop that had metal fabricating equipment. They made a whole new shroud for me. Drove it today on a 100 degree day and its at 180.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:50 AM   #30
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Do you have any pics of your custom radiator and shroud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTrucksRule View Post
I found an old school shop that had metal fabricating equipment. They made a whole new shroud for me. Drove it today on a 100 degree day and its at 180.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:49 AM   #31
bmur66

http://www.etrailer.com/Radiator-Fan...le/D16825.html

This is what I have mounted on an aluminum (2) 1" core radiator. Haven't got it on the road yet so I can't say how it works.

I spoke with the guys at Ron Davis who gave me the lowdown. If you are going to hook anything to your bumper you must have a mechanical fan / shroud and preferably a clutch.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #32
OldTrucksRule

I had the two row BCool radiator with one 16" electric and a full shroud. Just couldn't do the trick on a warm day in SoCal. Now the radiator and fan are on the garage floor waiting for someone to buy them.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:40 PM   #33
OldTrucksRule

New shroud and radiator
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2013, 01:43 AM   #34
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Thanks for the pic.

That's funny that you moved the alternator to the passenger side, with a short pump. I've been thinking of doing that same thing on my Burb.

Quote:
New shroud and radiator
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #35
OldTrucksRule

The PO set it up that way. Probably a good thing too, because you really can't find all the fancy serpentine belt set ups that go with a short pump. I replaced the original iron short pump with the Edelbrock short pump before I knew this. Anyway, I am finding that sometimes the simpler old school stuff is the best way to go. The greatest thing is driving this monster. We have to keep the history alive!!!!
Old 07-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #36
Bugeyev8

fiberglass shroud..and e fan...I made the shroud..more pics oon my build thread
Bugeyev8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:58 AM   #37
richards72chevy

Quote:
I have a 502 HO crate motor in my lifted '65 4x4 Chevy. I got it a few years ago and immediately changed out the stock Harrison radiator with a BeCool and aFlexolite Extreme S blade fan with the included shroud that completely covered the radiator. Did fine during the winters here in SoCal but I could not drive it up a grade during the summer without it hitting over 205-210 and even hotter when driving in the local mountains. Finally took it to a local 4x4 mechanic who had metal fab equipment and had a custom three row radiator made. Full metal shroud with the mechanical fan. Drove it the last few days here in the south when it has been 110 and the temp barely rose above 180 which is the thermostat I am using. Also have the auto trans cooler on a separate cooler since I don't have to worry about cold weather driving. Preeety happy with it right now.
Nice truck.
richards72chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:19 PM   #38
phraza

I'm getting a sheet metal shroud made up, just for the top half (legally have to have one here in NZ). I have a mechanical fan.

I'm also going to put a fan on the outside of the radiator and 'push' air through too. This fan I will hook up to a thermo switch so only comes on when it needs to.

Will post pics if you like when it's all done (follow my build in my signature, photos coming soon!)

1964 Chevy C10 Stepside
350 V8

Build thread here
phraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:40 AM   #39
corvettejim1968

i took the fan off and installed an electric. plus bought a shroud for the electric fan,and bought a 4 core radiator, all at So-Cal in Phoenix. you can come look at it in person if you want since your not too far from me. im very close to Glendale.

https://coolc10.com/
corvettejim1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 08:50 PM   #40
AcampoDave

I agree with '63gen111. I run a nice aluminum radiator with a 6 bladed fan that has a thermostatic clutch on it. I tried to overheat it one day climbing to the summit of the Sierra moumtains on hwy 50 and my 283 doesn't overheat even going full throttle uphill with the a/c on and triple digit ambient temps.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:48 AM   #41
Kenfuzed

This thread had gone cold (pun intended) 3 years ago so I doubt the original poster is still looking for an answer... at least I hope he solved it by now.

Ken's 1966 C10 build "Red Ale"
Follow on Instgram: @cv_performance
https://instagram.com/cv_performance
Harley Performance Parts: CV Performance (Harley related)
Enjoying the ride!
Kenfuzed is offline   Reply With Quote