The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-23-2014, 09:36 PM   #1
willett
Another Day, Another Dollar

How to slow down relay cycle time

Hi guys,

I have installed 2 Grote amber marker lights on the front of my jeep. I want to use them as both daytime running lights and turn signals.

Here is the problem: The only amber lights that I can find only have a positive and a negative lead. I cannot find any 3 way amber lights so I drew up this schematic for a 5 pin relay:

The DRL module feeds the main power for the relay, the old turn signal wire feeds the signal for the relay coil. When there is no turn signal 87a is energized by the ignition power and feeds the marker, when the signal cycles the 87 terminal is energized and feeds a pulse to the lights. This all looked great on paper but there is one problem: the relay cycles so fast that you can barely see a flicker of the turn signal!!

Is there any way I can add a capacitor or use a different style of 5 pin relay or add something inline to the relay signal wire to slow down the cycle time??

Thanks, spencer

"its hip to be square"
willett is offline   Reply With Quote