The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2013, 05:58 AM   #1
camarodude87

How much is this 1970 C10 worth? Wanting to buy my first truck

Hey guys, Im having my brother and mom look at this 1970 SWB c10 for me. My brother doesnt know what hes looking at and I dont want to wait two week until I get home to look at this truck for im afraid of it being sold. Here is the info on the truck. The Guy wants 4900.00 But im willing to give him 4500 for it. This is my first purchase and I dont want to get a turd. I know its hard to tell because I wont be looking at it but just form the pics and info I thought id ask the experts here. He said there is a dime size spot of rust on the door, its just starting to bubble.

What should I have my brother look at when hes looking at this truck. I know underneath, the frame. But anything you guys have noticed when looking at a truck. Thanks for your help.

Ray

This truck had a full restoration about 7 years ago that included new panels, door sills and partial floor pans. This is also the original factory color it came with and looks to be the first repaint. Runs and shifts very well and is geared to run on the highway. I don't know what the actual gearing is but it will cruise 75 MPH down the interstate all day long. New tires, recent oil and filter change w air filter. Steel bed in good condition and recently added Hurculiner. Engine does not smoke or use oil and 3 speed column shifts very smoothly. The only not so good things are it doesn't have a/c (but if it did it be worth a lot more than I'm asking) and the paint below the gas cap is a little off. Some gas overflowed and damaged the paint so it had to be re shot and the match was a little off.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
camarodude87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
SS Tim

Re: How much is this 1970 C10 worth? Wanting to buy my first truck

To me, that is expensive for the stripper it is. Have you valued the truck on your local market? It has had work and only by looking at it in person can you decide if it is worth near the asking price. Lots of little things there that bug me not the least of which is the rivets on the VIN plate. Restored it is not. If you really want this truck get some better pictures and find someone local who knows these trucks. Don't send your mom and brother to wing it. You will, in the end, likely be disappointed. Maybe a board member in the area can help you with this.
Attached Images

Last edited by SS Tim; 06-01-2013 at 06:42 AM.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
volksworld

the problem is the quality of the "restoration"...the fact that the gas ruined the paint and couldn't be matched says low buck chain store repaint or do it yourself internet paint package...the truck obviously had rust issues...how well were the patch panels installed and how much rust is buried under bondo ? strikes me that someone fixed this truck up ,enjoyed it a couple of years ,and as soon as the rust started popping back thru the doors decided to sell it before he has to redo it again.on the other hand hes not asking 15 grand for it either...just realize this is the best this truck will ever look and how quickly it will turn to crap depends on where you live and how you use it...have someone who knows what they're doing check it out for you!
volksworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
asolde

You are takeing a Gamble buying the truck sight unseen. Either get someone or hire a classic car appraiser to go look at it for you. That truck does look good from the pictures. Red flag on the incorrect rivets for the data plate. My very first impression from the pictures was it's a $5000 truck and then when I have read the other posts I changed my mined. Good luck and be patient.
asolde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #5
camarodude87

From what the guy says, He has owned it for about 5-6 months. He painted it himself.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
Fldawg

4000 to 5000
Fldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #7
cwilkie
Chance

Save your money and buy a better truck. $4500 can go a lot further than that truck. It is not a V8 truck nor does it have power brakes. In North Dakota that is about a $2000 truck. Patience is a virtue!
Posted via Mobile Device

1972 Chevrolet 3/4 Ton 4x4
BB 496 w/TH400
cwilkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #8
camarodude87

thanks for your guy's advice. It helps. im looking to see if I can get someone to look at it for me.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #9
TBONE1964
Cluster King

I agree with most of the above comments. In Michigan, that truck would bring the asking price fairly quick. In Oregon, that truck would get laughed at all day for the asking price. Location has a lot to do with it.

Here is what I noticed from the photos:
Where is the tail gate? That is $300.00 to $500.00 for a nice one before it is painted to match.

The windshield lamination is coming apart (foggy around the lower edge)

What is under the seat cover?
What is behind the aftermarket radio? Has the dash been cut for it to fit. I did not notice speakers in the doors?

To me, all these things decrease the value of the truck and take money and time to repair. I do understand that not all people are looking for a 100 point show vehicle with every thing correct. Those are a lot more money to buy.

Like others have mentioned, what is the market like in your area? What is your plan for the truck? You maybe able to buy it, put gas in it, change the oil and drive the crap out of it for 4 to 5 years and be happy.

Lots of things to consider and it all depends mainly on what your intention with the truck is.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #10
camarodude87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
I agree with most of the above comments. In Michigan, that truck would bring the asking price fairly quick. In Oregon, that truck would get laughed at all day for the asking price. Location has a lot to do with it.

Here is what I noticed from the photos:
Where is the tail gate? That is $300.00 to $500.00 for a nice one before it is painted to match.

The windshield lamination is coming apart (foggy around the lower edge)

What is under the seat cover?
What is behind the aftermarket radio? Has the dash been cut for it to fit. I did not notice speakers in the doors?

To me, all these things decrease the value of the truck and take money and time to repair. I do understand that not all people are looking for a 100 point show vehicle with every thing correct. Those are a lot more money to buy.

Like others have mentioned, what is the market like in your area? What is your plan for the truck? You maybe able to buy it, put gas in it, change the oil and drive the crap out of it for 4 to 5 years and be happy.

Lots of things to consider and it all depends mainly on what your intention with the truck is.

My plans would be just to drive it. and restore it to the best that i can and rock it. I just want to buy a rust bucket. thanks for pointing out all of that. I wouldnt of seen the speakers or the radio etc. . good eye
Old 06-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #11
Spartan

What do the rivets indicate?
Is it the fact that they are there that makes it unlikely the plate was removed for resto? Or that they aren't as shiney as the vin plate?
Posted via Mobile Device

"orange rhymes with door hinge"
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #12
camarodude87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
Is it the fact that they are there that makes it unlikely the plate was removed for resto? Or that they aren't as shiney as the vin plate?
Posted via Mobile Device
From the looks of it it looks like the VIN plate was polished. but im no expert
Old 06-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #13
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
The factory used a rosette rivet. The ones on this truck are everyday hardware pop rivets which indicate that the vin tag was removed. It maybe a simple as someone wanted to remove them for paint (I have done it in the past) or it could be an indicator that the cab was changed or something else.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #14
cericd

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
The VIN plate would have been installed from the factory with "rosette" style rivets. Like below:

The fact that it is now attached with standard head rivets means at the least that it was removed and reinstalled, at worst, it may not be original to that truck.

Lol, yeah what TBONE said just before me.

My 1970 SWB C/10 - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=534872
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #15
2002yanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarodude87 View Post
From the looks of it it looks like the VIN plate was polished. but im no expert
they are saying the rivits are not original. so either they removed it to paint it all, or its not the original cab.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #16
SS Tim

The rivets were replaced at some point. It may or may not be the original plate for that truck. Either way it is a flag and a potential problem that needs to be investigated fully confirming the numbers against the frame, SPID and the title. It may very well be a built truck. Since I cannot read the VIN number there is little to add. Here is a similar 70 embossed plate with the correct rivets.
Attached Images

Last edited by SS Tim; 06-01-2013 at 12:35 PM.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #17
camarodude87

Where are the VIN number i want to do the comparing too. What is a SPID??? Does anybody know a board memeber that would look at this truck for me? Jackson TN area.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #18
volksworld

when I moved to north Carolina from new York the dmv sends an officer to do a vin verification on all vintage vehicles before you can get a title...I was ok but my friends comet had regular pop rivits...they ground off bondo and found another hidden vin...he had to post a bond to register it and as long as no one reports the other number stolen he's ok...that tag is the only # on the cab...my 69 had a partial on top of the left chassis rail under the cab (use a mirror)...not sure about 70...all this stuff varies state by state,could be a non issue for you but become a problem if you move east or try to sell out of state
Old 06-01-2013, 02:03 PM   #19
volksworld

the spid is the decal inside the glove box door that lists all the trucks options...also has vin # ...but glovebox doors are easy to change...does it appear to be original(original paint,matching the dash)or has it been painted over ? heck I threw out my original glovebox door in 1975 cause it was dented and I had no idea what a spid was either
Old 06-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #20
camarodude87

He said it has a clear title. Ill call him tonight and ask home more questions about the restoration. He purchased it about 6 months ago.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #21
volksworld

i'm sure the vin tag has a clear title but the truck its riveted to might not...
Old 06-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #22
camarodude87

Well ****, if the truck check out good. would you guys still be discouraged to buy it if the rivets are original???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1uw3TJhw2Q
Old 06-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #23
volksworld

if he didn't do the "resto" 7 yrs ago,and it needed a full paint and a respray for gas damage in the last 6 months?the gas cap is a foot from your nose,how long would you let it leak ? so rust is coming back thru 6 month old bodywork? sounds like he knows nothing of this things history and he bought it to paint it and flip it...so i'm sure the craftsmanship is exceptional...sounds like this pig got a heavy coat of lipstick
Old 06-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #24
camarodude87

He told me that it was repainted, but he didnt repaint the whole thing, just that part by the gas cap from where it leaked on it. maybe the person before him used cheap ass paint. Maybe he did want to buy it and flip it, as long as hes not hiding anything critical, like a ass ton of rust. Ill let you guys know more in the afternoon tom when my brother goes out there with a magnet.

I told him to look under the seat cover, check under neath the carpet. crawl under the truck and check the frame for rust. To magnet the entire truck. Check the bed make sure when he pushes on the bed it doesnt knock or make alot of noises. Check for leaks on the motor. test drive it. etc. Anything im missing?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1uw3TJhw2Q
Old 06-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #25
Kurt L

here in jacksonville that truck would see about 2500.00 to 3000. surely not no 4900. just keep looking around and you surely can get one far better then that truck. i've jumped at trucks before and found out that, i wish i would've waited to look around for a better deal.
Kurt L is offline   Reply With Quote