The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2018, 09:33 PM   #1
Noah96

Turn Signal need help

So my turn signals on my 1969 GMC C2500 dont work but my hazard lights work. Also my cluster indicators for my turn signal dont work any thoughts? Is it the turn signal switch?
Any help would be appericated
Noah96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:46 AM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Turn Signal need help

The power for your turn signals starts at the key switch with the 12 gauge brown accessory wire which runs to the fuse panel and powers the heater, wiper. and the turn signal flasher. I would start at the flasher by swapping the hazard flasher with it. If the hazards work then the flasher is good and I would proceed to the steering column connector. Unplug it and check the purple wire in the center of the harness side for 12 volts with the key on. assuming you have a volt meter.

If you get 12 volts there then the turn signal switch is probably bad.

The wires are good because the hazards work and the turn signal indicator lights don't work because they are wired into the turn signal light wires, which don't work.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:07 AM   #3
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah96 View Post
So my turn signals on my 1969 GMC C2500 dont work but my hazard lights work. Also my cluster indicators for my turn signal dont work any thoughts? Is it the turn signal switch?
Any help would be appericated
There are two flasher modules. One for the hazard lights and one for the turn signals. I would start there by swapping the two modules in your fuse box and see if the hazards still work with the other flasher module. If they do then you know it is not the turn signal flasher module being bad that is keeping them from working. If the turn signals start working with the hazard flasher module in the turn signal flasher location all the better. All you need is a new turn signal flasher module.

If they still don't work after that then I would check the fuse for the signals itself. Pull it out of the fuse box and make sure it has not separated internally. Gently pull the two ends in opposite directions and see if one of the caps comes off. I have had them fail this way and not make sufficient contact to operate the wiring circuit they supply power to but still pass a continuity check with a tester when they are in the fuse box. They look perfectly fine from the outside. Quick test and worth checking before you dig into the steering column to pull the turn signal switch out which is the next step once you verify you have good power through the fuse and a functional turn signal flasher module.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:54 PM   #4
Noah96

Thanks it was a bad fuse works perfect. Appeciate all the input everyone!
Noah96 is offline   Reply With Quote