The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2018, 10:54 PM   #1
Stephen717

custom touches

so I've been trying to figure out what I can do custom on my truck so it looks like it came from the factory that way. so far I've thought about frenching in the tail lights from a 73 trans am. What are some things that you guys and gals have done.
Stephen717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:54 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: custom touches

I like to take the same approach with custom touches. But I see that tail light plan as looking like one man's creation, not possibly factory. These trucks are so familiar to so many, as well as the Trans Am lights, that will jump out at people (pardon my honesty) like a sore thumb. Maybe something like eliminating the reverse lights and relocating them where as invisible as possible. These were the first pickups with reverse lights integrated into the body design. Try to picture that. I think it would be something requiring a second look to figure out. Or how about moving tail lights up with the same arch as back-ups with Suburban square back-ups below? These are just suggestions I am coming up with here. It is hard to change anything on these trucks and have it look 'right', though. GM did a great job and I guess I'm more of a leave the body alone and focus on function and interior style/comfort.

I do plan my '67 SWB to be an era mild custom. So far it will have a louvered hood and some sort of one-off treatment with the tailgate letters. That will remain a secret until done. Subtle yet noticeable is my goal. Get people scratchin' their head and asking, "Did GM do that?". I have a steering wheel plan, an instrument cluster plan, and a shifter plan (4spd floor) possible. We'll see.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:22 AM   #3
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

Do you like lids? Bed lid, that is. A full cover that overhangs the tailgate by a few inches. And hangs down a few inches and locks the gate when the lid is closed. That few inches will give you room to french in any style taillight you can think of. If it comes out ****ty, ya toss it and you've done nothing to the truck. If its bad ass, delete the taillights from their original location and roll it. I have the perfect taillight in mind for mine that I won't indulge here. Let's just say it's prior to 1973. I bailed on your "factory" look of course right from word one. But no one would think trans am lights were factory anyway, unless they just arrived in this country recently.

1971 GMC Sierra Grande 2WD 1/2 ton, 350/400 auto
2008 Chevy Silverado 2WD 1/2 ton LT1 5.3L auto

Last edited by 71sierragrande; 10-13-2018 at 06:43 AM.
71sierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:27 AM   #4
darrellyates

I think whatever changes need to be extremely subtle. I agree that major changes while showing off customization, can be detracting. It's either that someone understands what is done, or it distracts from the look overall.

And, you see so many where the modification is done poorly. What I mean is that the quality of the modification simply isn't there. I'm not saying you would do a poor job, buy many haven't.

All the changes on mine are subtle. So subtle in fact, that most don't notice. I welded up the drip rails on the cab. That is, they appear to be one piece. I welded and smoothed the seams in the windshield/A pillar area. Again, it's smooth on both the top and bottom of the frame. I relocated the gas tank so I filled and smoothed the filler in the cab, and added a "factory" gas cap in the bedside. The final modifications were filling in the cowl vent for a smooth (I feel more modern) appearance that I feel fits these truck overall design; especially for the slightly more delicate look of the 67-68 trucks, And then a boatload of time and attention to body lines and gaps. I did lower it a bit and centered the wheels in the wheel openings, which I feel integrates the entire package.

I tried to build mine with a similar goal. "What would the factory have done", or "If they built this truck new today, how would it have been built"? And of course, that cleared mine (in my mind anyway) for a modern LS with an overdrive installation as well.

I believe the overall design of the 67-72 trucks was excellent. I feel the 67 and 68 in particular were vastly ahead of their time and were more modern looking than their contemporaries. I think that is why they remain so popular today. I prefer these trucks to new ones. I'm not particularly nostalgic about them, I think they are a great design.

That's the way I feel about it anyway. There was a '67 Chevy truck at local shows I've noticed a couple of times lately, it is very well done. They put LED tail lights in the bumper and filled the factory holes in the bed (fleet side). They modified the door handles so they are flush with the doors. They didn't remove the drip rails, but filled them out to the top of the drip rails with filler of some type, and did most of the other modifications that I did. It was extremely well executed.

Go as far as you care to go. Ultimately, it only has to please you.

Good Luck! Will post another picture showing my gas filler door. It's the most "factory" appearing modification I did...
Attached Images

darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:16 AM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: custom touches

I have a bunch of mods but the biggest was doing away with all the body trim. Over 200 holes welded up. I love it no more dirt getting in behind the trim. I also had him french in the antenna on the passenger side.

Inside I installed 99 Tahoe seats that are 6 way electric and heated. I also installed a late model mirror with compass & outside temp senor.

I have owned my 71 for over 30 years and find myself adding stuff all the time. It never ends! I have so many small additions I could never name them all.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 04:36 PM   #6
Stephen717

thanks for the input. I had seen a 72 Camaro with the tail lights from our trucks frenched in and that's what gave me the idea, when I got to looking at the trans am tail lights I thought that if they were turned the arch in the tail light would follow the curve of the bed, and the reverse lights being built into the trans am tail lights moves them from above the tail light to below. its probably one of the only non subtle touches I'd do to my truck. I like hearing what you guys would and or have done. keep it coming.
Stephen717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:22 AM   #7
HO455
Post Whore

I can see what your shooting for with these lights.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote