The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2004, 08:45 PM   #1
moodyholler

Front Axle Problems Encountered

Took my 72 blazer up to alignment shop and they said it needed new balljoints, so I stopped by my local Advance store and bought all four. I have a factory manual so I thought they would be a cinch. I also said, ok, I'll go ahead and put new u-joints,bearings and seals in while it's apart. the only thing they sold me that fit were the balljoints,out and in in 2.5 hours,but I still don't have the rest put together.
My option list says HD front axle, what does that mean? I had to buy 1 1/16" u-joints(for a 71),and book calls for 1 3/16" u-joints. Also had a hard time getting axle bearings and seals(inner hub) and had to get them for a 71 also. Does my truck have a 71 front diff in it? LMC calls for two different u-joints in 72.
Another question I have concerns the front driveshaft. The slip joint is worn and has considerable slop in it. Where should I get a replacement for it?
By the way, old balljoints weren't bad, some yo-yo did not torque the upper adjusting sleeves and it made the uppers feel loose. Just my luck!!!!!!!
While I have your attention, My glove box has woodgrain on it and the emblem that was there said super cheyenne, is this correct for a 72 cst? What should it say?
And finally were there two different style seats in 72? One square with a metal back and one tapered with a plastic back?
Is there anyway of knowing what seat patterns mine came with from the fsacotry?(cloth, houndstooth, or vinyl scroll?)
Thanks for a great forum. moodyholler
Attached Images

1994 C-1500 SWB 4.3 5 SPD
moodyholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 09:27 PM   #2
1970blazin
Blazerless:-(

I can't help you with the ball joints, but...
I have a 1972 k/5 standard specifications manual.
In 69-70 the "Custom Sport Title" was the CST models
In 71-72 it was refered to as "Cheyenne Equipment" which was:

Vinyl bucket seats: console: RH sunshade and armrest: cigar lighter: nameplates: special insulation: undercoating: chromed bumpers: bright control knob and pedal trim: bright windshield, body side, tailgate, taillight and back-up light moldings; bright fuel filler cap and sidemarker reflectors. K10 models also include bright transfer case shift levers.
With auxialiary top. Also includes door and body trim panels with bright upper retainers: spare tire cover and front color keyed carpeting.
HIGHLANDER CLOTH INTERIOR TRIM IS ALSO AVAILABLE. SEE INTERIOR TRIM OPTIONS PLUS INTERIOR AND EXTERIOR COLOR SELECTION CHART FOR AVAILABLILITY AND ORDERING INFORMATION.
Without auxialiary top. Available only when door glass is ordered. Also includes front color-keyed vinyl coated rubber floor mat.
By the way the list price for cheyenne equip was $355!!!
And a tach, ammeter, temp and oil pressure were a whopping $56!
Also the square backed seats are called "utility seats" and they have a metal back and are more square at the top instead of tapered. The "sport bucket" is the tapered back and has a plastic seatback on the rear of the seat.
I believe 69-70 came with one scroll down the vinyl of the seats, and the 71-72's had 2 scrolls down the vinyl. Houndstooth was NEVER used, but lots of people use it in restoration (Like me ) cause they think it looks cool- sort of "camarolike"

1970 CST Blazer-Orig. Dark Blue-SOLD

Progress Pics of Blazer for sale
1970blazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 10:11 PM   #3
1976K5CHALET

I'm no gen1 expert but i did own a 72 jimmy as my first chevy years ago...plus i keep up my father in laws 72 k5. This year i upgraded the front end...seems there was a 1rst and 2nd design on the spindles...and axle shaft u joints...the 1rst design hubs leak like a sive...and the axle shaft u joints are smaller...so this summer i swapped in spindles and hubs from a 78 10 bolt axle...and dana 44 axle shafts from a 76ish blazer....end result...stronger u joints and none leaking hubs.

On the front driveshaft....if your K5 is stock just take it to a driveline service shop and have it rebuilt. Front shafts run around $300 as a rule of thumb. If its been altered from factory springs...ie lifted...then you will have to measure from yoke to yoke to get the proper measurement for the driveline shop.

And yes balljoints can be a pain....if you don't have the right tools from OTC to press them in and out.

DW
1976K5CHALET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 01:10 AM   #4
1969 GMC

Quote:
Originally posted by 1970blazin
I can't help you with the ball joints, but...
I have a 1972 k/5 standard specifications manual.
In 69-70 the "Custom Sport Title" was the CST models
In 71-72 it was refered to as "Cheyenne Equipment" which was:
i thought 69-72 Blazers never had the Cheyenne package, just CST, while the trucks changed over in '71.
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 10:57 AM   #5
pound41

Blazers never had a cheyenne emblem they changed that for trucks in 72. As far as ball joints when I first changed mine back in 1981 I had a hell of a time because 71 was odd year in that they had 2 designs and I think even a 3rd don't remember exactly but I had to take them out and match them uoit was a pain
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 01:29 PM   #6
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

When I did the ball joints on the 71, I got the parts from JC Whitney and they all fit fine. This is a 2wd though, and that may have something to do with it. Seems like all the 4wd stuff is odd. Jeff.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 02:03 PM   #7
Grim Reaper

Doug Has it.

There are TWO Internal locking hub axles and a external D44 axles. Depending on the plant and year is what you got. The external hub that was mostly on 8 lugs as far as I can tell all ran the smaller u-joint. The early internal did have a smaller u-joint. The smalle interna axle was used up till 73. Most of the smapller u-joints ended up on 3/4 tons in 73.

74 is the first year your were guaranteed to get a 297 D44 and they were all internal hub.

The good news is the axles shafts can be swapped to get then 297 size u-joint and Doug explained the rest about the spindles but you don't need to change the spindles to swap shafts. the bearing surfaces were the same.

If your not wheeling it hard or running overly large sized tires I'd not worry about swapping till you broke it. Just always ask for 71 parts and that shouldget you the correct ones.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote