The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2011, 12:49 AM   #51
Glennerd

Re: Olds powered 72 GMC

Olds C-10, right on! Love the engine bay and the motor. Thanks for the info as well. I'm probably going to have a few olds questions for you in the near future, so don't mind me.
Glennerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:41 AM   #52
Pont406

Last time I went to my buddy dyno shop they had this olds. I was busy with my car but it got my attention.
Attached Images

Pont406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:33 AM   #53
Glennerd

Man, that is nice. Owning an Olds motor sure helps a person appreciate how much money others have spent on thier builds. I had Ford trucks as a teenager and built a few FE block motors (390's and 428's), and they were expensive but this thing takes the cake. Valve covers start at $200 and go up to $600 (aluminum) because there is so little competition between manufacturers. The cost of just dressing an Olds motor is equal to building a complete 350hp sbc. Having this p/u as my first GMC ever, and having the Olds motor in it, just makes sense. I have no reservations when it comes to doing something different. I probably wouldn't have been too interested in buying the truck if it wasn't a bit unique.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:24 PM   #54
Glennerd

My order of parts came in this afternoon, so now it can start going back together. Heater core and rad support bushings took 10 days to get here.
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2011, 12:36 PM   #55
Glennerd

I only need two complete headlight assemblies now, so with a pile of crap I was able to make 2 from 4. Sandblasting, prime and paint, some JB Weld for the separated chrome rings and the broken tabs and finally some good old Turtle wax chrome polish. Oh, and a little anti-seeze on the screws to prevent what I just went through from happening again.
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2011, 01:35 PM   #56
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

I like where you have the cold air intakes!!!...nice work....look forward to see how it'll look when all together!!!

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #57
Lifetime Project 72

I have to say that 10 years ago in 2001,when I ripped apart my 72 GMC to build it on a rust free frame,I had thought of using the 455 & 400 tranny from my 69 Olds 88 convertible.It was a running,never been work on much,original 455 with 2 barrel carb.The car had been sitting for about 2 yrs & I decided not to do it.Would have caused some problems that I wouldn`t have thought of,like the extra weight,& replacing the springs.
Two years ago I added an identical rust free Olds to utilize all the expensive parts from my original car to build the new car,& to put the 455 in this car.The new car does however still have the small block which I`m seriously thinking of building for my truck.
One thing about my 455 is that I never had oil leaks with it.That is why I may rebuild the 350 rocket,I`m tired of the Chev 350 leaking.
It sure would be cool to have a nice gold 350 Olds in my truck,it would be unique.And nothing sounds sweeter than those Olds engines!
Chris
Lifetime Project 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:18 AM   #58
Glennerd

Thanks Geoff. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished , functioning thing as well. Chris, it's a great idea and if you don't have to undo someone else's mistakes, it probably would be a much easier go. I would have loved to do sooo much more to this truck, but I had to stop and get it running again. In a few years I will have to look into the rust and other dirty little issues. I need to finish what I started, get back behind the wheel and enjoy it before it's next and final teardown. I can't wait!
Old 10-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #59
Glennerd

Total P.O.S.! Had to file to make room for the brackets on both sides. Both tanks would have been punctured by all 4 screws because they are way bigger than the stock tanks. Just a total let-down. Next time, because I'm sure there will be a next time, I will re-core one of my origional brass cores. Just a poor fit overall.
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #60
Glennerd

Heater box assembly is temporarily/permanently installed now. Got the inners on and loosely tied in. It's pis@ing rain, but it's nice to be going forward. I have a new set of wiring gutters for the firewall and rad support that should clean things up a bit. A friend of mine thinks I should put a single LED in each air inlet, but I'm not so sure. Just enough light to bring attention to them but not so much that it looks "2fast and 2furious" w/Cantonese subtitles, if you know...
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #61
Glennerd

I'm awaiting the arrival of these valve covers and the Olds Rocket wire looms that I will be mounting on them. I won't have room for a breather cap and would like to put my pvc valve somewhere else other than the center of my valve cover. I understand that I can buy a screw on oil filler tube breather, but was wondering about re-location of the pvc. Anyone have some pics of something that works? Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #62
Glennerd

Sorry, that was pcv valve.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:39 AM   #63
oldspowered67C10

Cant really help you with the pcv valve though I suppose the oil fill tube would work for a mounting location. Just wanted to let you know that those wire loom covers are actually for the pre-64 olds V8(394), not that you couldnt make them work, just figured I'd mention it.
oldspowered67C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:20 AM   #64
stich626
Account Suspended

why not put the pvc in the valley pan,, just tack weld a valvecover baffle in so it don't suck oil..
totally out of sight..
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:41 AM   #65
Glennerd

Just a pic of a set of "fauxsmobile" valve covers made for sbc center bolt. I don't think I would do it to my sbc, but on my motor I think it's ok. They are an easy install and a practical, attractive way to separate the wires. Why not embrace the Olds theme a touch more. I figure if some dork wants to pretend that he has an Olds motor, why can't I? LOL Spray them with gold engine enamel and set them on a pair of satin aluminum valve covers... I think it will look good. The wire looms are $27 for the pair unfinished, or $53 for chrome and they come with the mounting hardware and Oldsmobile rocket stickers. And so... these wire looms were re-created for sbc, not Oldsmobile. That is why they are not $499.99 a pair. ha ha ha... seriously though.
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2011, 08:48 AM   #66
Glennerd

To stich, do you mean drill a new hole thru the intake manifold? Not totally sure what you meant, but I know that this has been dealt with before. A pic of what you are suggesting would be great. I dig your truck. When I get my pig running again, the interior will be next and I like your dash work alot.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:34 AM   #67
Glennerd

Do you know what really "grinds my gears"? This whole "rat rod" crap. The word itself is already tired and dated. Some old, rusty piece of #$@! with a fancy gear shift knob and a set of rims that have been painted red? The whole concept has been bled dry. I have woked in construction for 25 years and I've seen building trends come and go. Nothing will say that you were a trend follower more than the rat rod look. It's already over. Just try and re-sell an O.C.C. chopper that you bought 5 years ago. Good luck. What do you get when you cover a fat pig with too much make-up and a ton of tattoos? A pin-up girl! I'm pretty sure that fat and ugly have never really been all that cool.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:55 PM   #68
Lifetime Project 72

The more I read your thread & look at the pics,I really want to build up this 350 Olds I have.Its a complete engine still in my "new" 69 Olds,but doesn`t run.I first have to rip the truck apart,again,because I have a new cab for it,& the truck needs body & paint.So while the body will be off the frame,I`ll reclean & paint it again.If any cash is left over,lol,I`ll do up the engine for sure.
It just looks so cool that beautiful gold engine.
Wish I was computer savvy & had a camera to post some pics..
Chris
Old 10-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #69
Glennerd

Thanks Lifetime! I fell in love with the colour right away as well. I can honestly say that I have had more women, who would normally not even care, stop at the end of my driveway while I'm working on it and say that it looks beautiful. I think that most of them don't realize that they are looking at an engine, but they love the pretty gold thing. LOL
Old 10-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #70
Lifetime Project 72

Well then I`m sold on the idea then!! Absolutely nothing wrong with having women interested in a nice gold engine
I want that engine in there now
Old 10-13-2011, 08:20 PM   #71
Glennerd

I guess I could get more girly action if I just left the hood off. Sadly it doesn't work the same when I walk around with my pants off. LOL
Old 10-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #72
Lifetime Project 72

Well I definately need some girl action! I can double my chances by painting the 455 for the car gold as well
But I will definately start pricing out stuff for the Olds 350.I think the only mod would be an Edelbrock manifold & carb.Basically just keep it stock.I kept everything from the car I scraped,so the 455 still has its mounts,& the 350 will keep its mounts for the truck.
So glad you posted a thread.
Chris
Old 10-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #73
kikkegek

he man, looking good, but wont the wires get far too hot on the covers like this?
kikkegek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #74
Glennerd

He, kekk. Nah, no heat problems. It's a very old design and proved itself way back. Many vehicles have plug wires laying on the valve cover, it's the chafing that could be the issue. This will keep them free and clear of the headers which throw off the real heat.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:36 PM   #75
OJ1988
Just a car guy

Were any of them pin up girls?
1970 C20 tow rig
OJ1988 is offline   Reply With Quote