The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-26-2016, 12:30 PM   #101
68 IRON

Re: Stolen....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeloCrewChief View Post
I work in Puyallup and will keep an eye out. As others have mentioned there are some sketchy parts of Federal Way. Tweakers are out of control in the Graham/Roy are so, maybe try looking around there. My money is on a tweaker taking this one. Ran into one the other day that had his bed full of winches, batteries, and tool boxes!
Thanks Helo!!! Puyallup is exactly where my vanpool begins and a couple of guys have had their trucks stolen. Our van has even been vandalized too! I appreciate your help... I'll try to find and post another pic.
68 IRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:36 PM   #102
68 IRON

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoningtonQB View Post
I know this isn't going to get your truck back, but I am going to share something with the rest of you...

In addition to my C/10 I own (and have owned) my fair share of Hondas. I live in CT (in the Tri-State area), and I can tell you that in spite of whatever you might think, this is one of the WORST areas for theft (for Hondas especially). Almost all of the "enthusiasts" are lowlife thieves of the highest level. I didn't want to become a victim myself, so I wised up and learned how to track my vehicle.

You may think that tracking your vehicle is expensive, but I will tell you right now that it can be done for free. I'm not going to give away all of my secrets, but I have a cell phone or two (or three or four) in random hidden places of whichever vehicle I'm driving that day, running on Freedompop (FREE CELL PHONE SERVICE BY THE WAY) and using a free app called Instamapper (you can also use AccuTracking for $6 / 3 months). Using these apps, I can not only track in real time but I can also draw a geofence in Google Maps, so if the vehicle leaves the area, I am instantly notified via a text message. I can then log in to my profile and track in real time, so that I can hunt down the thief. If you're feeling desperate, you can call it in to 911 and tell them you're pursuing the thief and perhaps they will send a trooper out.

One day, when I was still in college, I was tracking the vehicle from a PC when my classmate noticed what I was doing and asked questions. When I explained to him what it was, he just laughed at me. I saw he had a picture of his car as his desktop wallpaper. I said, "That your car?" to which he replied, "It was. But it got stolen." So I said, "And you're laughing AT ME? Maybe if you were doing this, you would still have your car."

A friend of mine took my advice and one day his car got stolen. He logged in to his account and got the exact location. Not only were the thieves caught redhanded in the act (they were in the process of stripping the car), but the location history had recorded everywhere they stopped along the way, implicating 3 accomplices that were not at the scene when police arrived. On top of getting his car back, the thieves were arrested with other stolen cars in their possession and it ended up making the news.

I know most of you will not read this, but should the worst ever happen to me, I know that I will have a much better chance of recovering my vehicle than the rest of you will!
Not bad QB....not bad at all! A friend of mine mentioned an idea similar to this.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:37 PM   #103
diggerbob

I have been following this thread daily in hopes that you will post that you have recovered your truck. Best of luck to ya in getting your truck back!
diggerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:41 PM   #104
StoningtonQB

For the record you don't need the latest and greatest smartphone to do this... I got a Sprint Galaxy S3 for less than $100 and you can too. Only a one-time activation fee on Freedompop of $20 and this phone has been working for years. I also have a ZeroLemon battery that lasts for over a week without charging. Even if the thieves found the phone it will be too late by the time they found them all. If you're stealing a vehicle, your are trying to get the vehicle to your destination FIRST, then you are looking in all of the hiding spots. Believe me, by then it will be TOO LATE for them!
StoningtonQB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:51 PM   #105
68 IRON

Fingers are crossed for recovery and I will definitely post if I get it back. Thanks again for ALL of this sites members.....it does help to hear I'm not alone here!
Old 07-26-2016, 01:07 PM   #106
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon 1967 GMC View Post
Definitely be tragic if he recognized the person and it's a friend or ex-friend I should say.
And if his current girlfriend and dog are in the passenger seat...

Hopefully not :-) I think the odds of spotting anything are pretty low on that type of camera but I suppose anything is possible!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:47 PM   #107
68 IRON

Yesterday I got a message from someone on PNW Stolen Vehicles from FB. He said he recognised my truck in a Big Lots in Kent WA....I was only 5 miles away.
He said couldnt read the plate number because there wasnt one on the front bumper. Also, he noticed yard care equipment in the back. I raced over, but didnt see the truck or anywhere on the street....rush hour sucks in that part of town (Washington Ave...DSHS, Kmart, Big Lots). I'm hopeful someone will spot this soon! The guy said before he knew what he was looking at and recognised it he was sucked into traffic.....I believe that too! Guys in Kent WA....I need your eyes, please!
Old 07-29-2016, 04:28 PM   #108
Gromit

Be careful if you do find it unattended and decide to just get in it and drive it home.

Not that you don't have the right to do exactly that but because if law enforcement does notice the truck as stolen and stops you they won't be waiting around for you to explain that you are actually the real owner; at the least they will have you face down and cuffed with a knee on your neck before you get the chance to show identification.

Also I'm sure you know this but anyone you discover driving it may be someone who bought it and not the actual thief.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:56 PM   #109
Orange Crate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 IRON View Post
Yesterday I got a message from someone on PNW Stolen Vehicles from FB. He said he recognised my truck in a Big Lots in Kent WA....I was only 5 miles away.
He said couldnt read the plate number because there wasnt one on the front bumper. Also, he noticed yard care equipment in the back. I raced over, but didnt see the truck or anywhere on the street....rush hour sucks in that part of town (Washington Ave...DSHS, Kmart, Big Lots). I'm hopeful someone will spot this soon! The guy said before he knew what he was looking at and recognised it he was sucked into traffic.....I believe that too! Guys in Kent WA....I need your eyes, please!
Any chance you could ask Big Lots for their video? I hope you get it back.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:05 AM   #110
67chevy_hotrod

Dang! I've told all my buddies I have eyes in quite a few places! If I wasn't at goodguys I would be patrolling
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super 10 turned K30 (sold)
67chevy_hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 05:45 AM   #111
GR8-68

Sounds like there is a great chance you will get it back if that was truly your truck. Sounds like you may have a dumb thief on your hands, lucky for you. I would do like Orange Crate said and ask Big Lots or maybe any surrounding stores that are close if they can review their video, you might get to see a face of who is driving it.

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:15 AM   #112
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Most stores around here won't let you watch their video..only the cops..a guy I work with stopped at academy sports to grab something on the way to the river and when he came out all his rod and reels were gone from his boat..he demanded to see the video and they wouldn't let him..he called the cops and they let them see it..told him some guy on a bicycle grabbed em and took off..never did getem back..wouldn't let him see who it was that got his stuff either..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:20 AM   #113
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
Be careful if you do find it unattended and decide to just get in it and drive it home.

Not that you don't have the right to do exactly that but because if law enforcement does notice the truck as stolen and stops you they won't be waiting around for you to explain that you are actually the real owner; at the least they will have you face down and cuffed with a knee on your neck before you get the chance to show identification.

Also I'm sure you know this but anyone you discover driving it may be someone who bought it and not the actual thief.
Good point........but it wouldn't hurt it stay with it until the unlucky buyer showed up. If it's the thief, he probably won't (at least not where you can see him too).
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:38 AM   #114
custom10nut

I'm with digger. Every time I see the heading, I hope to open it and see that you recovered your truck.
Go to the police in Kent and find out what it takes to get a BOLO alert for your truck.
Take in pictures, the VIN, and registration, to show that the truck is in fact yours. (It's not like you're looking for a common vehicle) who knows, maybe a few of the officers are truck nuts like us.
Odds are that if it had the yard maintenance stuff in the back, it's still local, and they'll be back.
Again. I'm hoping for you to get her back.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:04 AM   #115
Aruba1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
wouldn't let him see who it was that got his stuff either..
Them company lawyers won't let that happen in fear that it can come back to them in case you find the guy and cut his right hand off, or left or both, lol.

I hope you get your truck back and the thieves do time.

Last edited by Aruba1; 07-30-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Aruba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:07 PM   #116
68 IRON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post

Oh ya, I know what you're talkin about! I would call the back up from police first for sure.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:08 PM   #117
68 IRON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy_hotrod View Post
Dang! I've told all my buddies I have eyes in quite a few places! If I wasn't at goodguys I would be patrolling
Hahahaha! Well ya never know, this guy may have gone to Goodguys too! And thanks for spreading the word!
Old 07-30-2016, 02:14 PM   #118
68 IRON

As far as video, one worker said "no chance.....it was broken anyway". Talkin about bad security! He just outright told me its free game outside without just sayin no. Anyway, I do know its still in the area if this was the truck. Ya, my fingers are crossed too!
Old 07-30-2016, 05:12 PM   #119
jamie72

bummer good luck!

member #807

http://www.myspace.com/whitetailobsession
www.antlertalk.com
jamie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:23 PM   #120
dave`12

Good luck, I had a cherry Jeep CJ-5 stolen in 1982. Tore my heart out. I'm still hoping it turns up and is all fixed up and mine again
Old 07-31-2016, 12:15 AM   #121
68 IRON

FOUND!!!!! The police no more than 20 minutes ago are securing my truck and taking the lowlife SOB piece of shi* away! OMG.....too happy right now! I dont know where my feelings came from for this truck, but I am just ecstatic to know its coming home! Rusty, not worth much to anyone else looks, but it just made me happy to drive. Thank you all for your support.....it meant so much, really!!! YAAAAA HOOOOOO!!!!!
Old 07-31-2016, 12:19 AM   #122
swamp rat

Quote:
FOUND!!!!! The police no more than 20 minutes ago are securing my truck and taking the lowlife SOB piece of shi* away! OMG.....too happy right now! I dont know where my feelings came from for this truck, but I am just ecstatic to know its coming home! Rusty, not worth much to anyone else looks, but it just made me happy to drive. Thank you all for your support.....it meant so much, really!!! YAAAAA HOOOOOO!!!!!

YES!!!!!!!!! Great news!!!!!!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:30 AM   #123
PapaNui

Awesome news! Glad you got your ride back, and one more douche bag off the streets. What city was it in? Because of what happened to you, I've added some simple security measures to my truck, that I'll be posting here soon.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:31 AM   #124
71swb4x4

Glad to hear it!
Old 07-31-2016, 12:35 AM   #125
dmjlambert

Quote:
I am happy about this. Thanks for letting us know your happy news and congratulations on recovering it. After you get the truck back and fixed if necessary, please let us know the steps you took to get things going in your favor with the police, and let us know (if you can) what exactly the thief did to take your truck in the first place and if you have any recommendations for us about prevention/protection.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote